CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #1
Chris Sinagoga
Affiliate Chris Sinagoga is offline
 
Chris Sinagoga's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madison Heights  MI
Posts: 362
Straight Knowledge from Jeff Van Gundy

I was just happily watching Golden State blow out Houston in the first half and the commentator Jeff Van Gundy had a very interesting point - and one I have been wondering for awhile. They were talking about players like Patrick Beverly, Dwight Howard, and Kyrie Irving being injured and he said something along the lines of:

"With all the 'sports science' and advanced training we have now-a-days, how come there seem to be more injuries than ever before?"

What do you guys think?
__________________
-formerly Chris S on main site. Now posts as Champions Club.
Champions Club/CrossFit Athletic Group (w/fs)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
Luke Sirakos
Member Luke Sirakos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dallas  TX
Posts: 858
Re: Straight Knowledge from Jeff Van Gundy

The athletes of today are faster, stronger, and more athletic than ever before. The games are faster, harder, and bigger impact than ever before. Combine that with seasons lasting longer than ever and you have a recipe for injury. Kids these days play sports year round and hardly have an off season.

Also, with today's sports science we get people back on the field/court faster than ever and sometimes too fast. In the past if a pitcher injured their arm then their career was over. Now they sit out a year and get Tommy John surgery and come back stronger than before they were injured. This is similar to other sports, we see people playing at the highest levels that normally wouldn't be able to play at all. Some of these injuries make you prone to injury down the road.
__________________
Deadlift: 475 | Back Squat: 405 | Front Squat: 320
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
Shawn M Wilson
Member Shawn M Wilson is offline
 
Shawn M Wilson's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tyler  TX
Posts: 1,118
Re: Straight Knowledge from Jeff Van Gundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
The athletes of today are faster, stronger, and more athletic than ever before. The games are faster, harder, and bigger impact than ever before. Combine that with seasons lasting longer than ever and you have a recipe for injury. Kids these days play sports year round and hardly have an off season.

Also, with today's sports science we get people back on the field/court faster than ever and sometimes too fast. In the past if a pitcher injured their arm then their career was over. Now they sit out a year and get Tommy John surgery and come back stronger than before they were injured. This is similar to other sports, we see people playing at the highest levels that normally wouldn't be able to play at all. Some of these injuries make you prone to injury down the road.
I have seen too many 16-20 year old boys with tommy johns because their parents haven't learned less is more. Playing ball 12 months a year for 10+ years is a great way to injure a kid when all you do is run them hard non stop.
__________________
Pastor - Saved by Grace - Building the Body & Soul one day at a time!
My Log ****Open 12.1 (94) 12.2 (60) 12.3 (196) 12.4 (172) 12.5 (80)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
Luke Sirakos
Member Luke Sirakos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dallas  TX
Posts: 858
Re: Straight Knowledge from Jeff Van Gundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
I have seen too many 16-20 year old boys with tommy johns because their parents haven't learned less is more. Playing ball 12 months a year for 10+ years is a great way to injure a kid when all you do is run them hard non stop.
Yep. I have bad shoulders from so many years of year round baseball. Could be worse but they have definitely had their share of wear and tear.
__________________
Deadlift: 475 | Back Squat: 405 | Front Squat: 320
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:52 PM   #5
Chris Sinagoga
Affiliate Chris Sinagoga is offline
 
Chris Sinagoga's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madison Heights  MI
Posts: 362
Re: Straight Knowledge from Jeff Van Gundy

Sometimes I wonder if it has to do with someone putting on more mass than their frame can support. Like a slow defensive back who decides to bulk up all of a sudden so they can play linebacker.
__________________
-formerly Chris S on main site. Now posts as Champions Club.
Champions Club/CrossFit Athletic Group (w/fs)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #6
Ryan Hoegner
Affiliate Ryan Hoegner is offline
 
Ryan Hoegner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Corona  CA
Posts: 783
Re: Straight Knowledge from Jeff Van Gundy

I think it's because players are playing closer to their genetic potential. Think of the body has a high horsepower engine. The 1.6l Honda motor is going to last a lot longer

I also think kids are just playing too much. My nephew is a fantastic high school baseball player and he really only gets a month off a year. He's already getting cortisone shots in his pitching arm.
__________________
www.CrossFit714.com
Orange, CA
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
Shawn M Wilson
Member Shawn M Wilson is offline
 
Shawn M Wilson's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tyler  TX
Posts: 1,118
Re: Straight Knowledge from Jeff Van Gundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sinagoga View Post
Sometimes I wonder if it has to do with someone putting on more mass than their frame can support. Like a slow defensive back who decides to bulk up all of a sudden so they can play linebacker.
Got a kid I know who was getting private training for the last 3 years... At 15 he was 6'2" 185-190lbs. At 18 he was 240lbs...

Had 2 shoulder surgery, can't pitch worth anything now...

Trainer had him lifting like a body builder... Kid is a mountain of muscle, has no flexibility in his shoulder and can't use it how he wants now...

Who is to blame? Parents for hiring a body builder to train him? Trainer for not training him how a pitcher should? Kid for not telling him the issues/pain he was having in his shoulder from all the upper body workouts?

End result is a kid that had some potential that now doesn't. Everyone says he should play football but the issue is he doesn't want too and doesn't love the sport... Can't play what he loves..
__________________
Pastor - Saved by Grace - Building the Body & Soul one day at a time!
My Log ****Open 12.1 (94) 12.2 (60) 12.3 (196) 12.4 (172) 12.5 (80)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
Chris Sinagoga
Affiliate Chris Sinagoga is offline
 
Chris Sinagoga's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madison Heights  MI
Posts: 362
Re: Straight Knowledge from Jeff Van Gundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
Got a kid I know who was getting private training for the last 3 years... At 15 he was 6'2" 185-190lbs. At 18 he was 240lbs...

Had 2 shoulder surgery, can't pitch worth anything now...

Trainer had him lifting like a body builder... Kid is a mountain of muscle, has no flexibility in his shoulder and can't use it how he wants now...

Who is to blame? Parents for hiring a body builder to train him? Trainer for not training him how a pitcher should? Kid for not telling him the issues/pain he was having in his shoulder from all the upper body workouts?

End result is a kid that had some potential that now doesn't. Everyone says he should play football but the issue is he doesn't want too and doesn't love the sport... Can't play what he loves..
Dang that sucks man. I don't know if anyone is really to blame. I doubt the trainer coached him with the goal of ruining his career. It's probably just a misunderstanding of what strength really is.
__________________
-formerly Chris S on main site. Now posts as Champions Club.
Champions Club/CrossFit Athletic Group (w/fs)
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #9
Ben Joven
Member Ben Joven is offline
 
Ben Joven's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 218
Re: Straight Knowledge from Jeff Van Gundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sinagoga View Post
I was just happily watching Golden State blow out Houston in the first half and the commentator Jeff Van Gundy had a very interesting point - and one I have been wondering for awhile. They were talking about players like Patrick Beverly, Dwight Howard, and Kyrie Irving being injured and he said something along the lines of:

"With all the 'sports science' and advanced training we have now-a-days, how come there seem to be more injuries than ever before?"

What do you guys think?
I use the race car analogy. There's faster and cars with more torque out there so naturally there's going to be more accidents with all these cars going at a high velocity.
__________________
>>PRIMAL KETTLEBELLS<<
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #10
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: Straight Knowledge from Jeff Van Gundy

Because the field (athletic trainers/strength coaches etc.) is mired with misinformation and bad practices. Trainers use the wrong movements, too much of them, and quite often allow HORRIBLE form. I have seen this at both the top collegiate and professional levels. Watch a bench press or squat video of just about any NFL player and you will see CRAP form. You will then not be surprised when said player blows out a triceps, or shoulder, or pec.

For athletics, strength training should be used to augment athletic performance, not to make the athlete more susceptible to injury and THAT is what most often occurs.

And why does this occur? It's called money. It is people/organizations protecting their monetary interests by not changing their ways and by trying to squash those that promote/teach anything different than them.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for knowledge Michael Jarman Nutrition 2 01-02-2014 08:15 AM
Sharing of Knowledge... Kevin Daigle Community 3 04-20-2010 03:54 PM
New and looking for knowledge Demond Thompson Fitness 7 08-05-2008 03:13 PM
Knowledge Enhancement TJ Cooper Starting 7 02-15-2003 04:53 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.