CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #1
Nada Hassan

Profile:
Is getting better at high rep box jumps just conditioning?

I really can't wrap my mind around the concept of getting better at bodyweight movements. With weighted movements just keep adding weight as long as you could actually lift it , but if I wanted it to get better at high rep box jumps (ex. feel my legs burn on rep 30 instead of 20) how do I go about that in a general sense like what system do I train. Would I be doing things like 400m repeats ?

Again this isn't just to get better at box jumps but to delay the onset of muscular fatigue in general ?

I really just don't understand how to go about it
Old 04-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Re: Is getting better at high rep box jumps just conditioning?

Do a WOD like fight gone bad, keep track of each exercise for each round. Then do it again a month or two later and see how many you get...
You can set benchmarks ie: 30 Wall Balls unbroken, and then try to push past it. And listen to your body, get a feel for when you are getting gassed. Try to rest a bit less each time, bang out a few more reps each time...
Old 05-18-2015, 04:51 AM   #3
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Cycle through the movements faster while maintaining good form.

For example, with any AMRAP (like Fight Gone Bad), try to get more work done in a given amount of time. Can you get 20 rounds doing Cindy (a20 Min. AMRAP) workout? If so, work toward 25 rounds. If you can get 25, start working toward 30. Getting more work done in the same amount of time is a more intense workout and shows improved fitness.

Since your body weight is the constant (relatively--it of course may change over time), speed up the work. Either get more reps done in the same amount of time or the same amount of work done in less time.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada Hassan View Post
I really can't wrap my mind around the concept of getting better at bodyweight movements. With weighted movements just keep adding weight as long as you could actually lift it , but if I wanted it to get better at high rep box jumps (ex. feel my legs burn on rep 30 instead of 20) how do I go about that in a general sense like what system do I train. Would I be doing things like 400m repeats ?

Again this isn't just to get better at box jumps but to delay the onset of muscular fatigue in general ?

I really just don't understand how to go about it
30/30 and 60/60 work is likely your best bet to getting better at some of these movements. It will take time but after a while what happens is that you get to know what your body can do as far as rep scheme goes.

Test out a 10 minute AMRAP 24" step down box jumps and see how many you can get. Otherwise it is a matter of practice over time. You need to learn how to breathe and get O2 in and out of your body.

Those sets can be mixed modal work as practice for those specific movements or as running, rowing, biking for just the aerobic part of it.