CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #21
Jason A Smith

Profile:
Re: CrossFit is not a sport

I competed for over a decade as a National Level figure skater.

The judges at the Olympics.......volunteers. Just saying. The reason major pro sports have paid officials is because they can afford to.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #22
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
I competed for over a decade as a National Level figure skater.

The judges at the Olympics.......volunteers. Just saying. The reason major pro sports have paid officials is because they can afford to.
Yes but the IOC and the Olympics in general is known for corruption and back door handshakes. I would rather CrossFit not go down that path. Which I know long ago back in the ranch days of the games Castro had mentioned maybe one day being in the Olympics or something to that effect but I would think we should strive to be better as a sport and community. It will never be perfect but striving to be like something that is already flawed doesn't seem like a good idea.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #23
Luke Davidson

Profile:

One difference in CF judging is that one person judges another ONE person. In other comps, it is the same panel of judges scoring one individual at a time or refereeing two teams.

The 1:1 aspect is where the grey area is as not all athletes are held to the same standard (possibly)
Old 06-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #24
Chris Mason

Profile:

Lots of people with an opinion on why the CF method is bad, but not many offering cogent arguments with a better solution... Welcome to the internet...
Old 06-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #25
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Lots of people with an opinion on why the CF method is bad, but not many offering cogent arguments with a better solution... Welcome to the internet...
Really? Who is saying it is bad in this thread?
Old 06-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #26
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
Greg, where exactly would HQ find these "qualified" judges?
<snip>
First, let's think of how many of these professional judges we would need. HQ is currently running up to 4 regionals each weekend; there are usually 10 lanes running on each event; some events, team workouts in particular, require multiple judges in each lane; you would also need head judges for each team, as well as enough alternates to ensure that your officials aren't stuck on the floor for hours at a time, and to allow for sudden illness or injury. Let's say 30 judges per officiating crew; times 4 crews means we need a minimum of 120 trained officials. (There is actually one weekend where they do 5 Regionals, but we'll just say that they split the crews into 5 teams of 24 for that weekend, and maybe reinforce them with some HQ staffers)
<snip>
For brevity and board space, I'm only quoting part of your post Chris, but I have to say your post is spot on, amigo.

And just so you and everyone else knows, at Mid-Atlantic Regionals this year we had 48 judges, broken down to 4 teams of 12, rotating through all of the heats each day. And, as is usually the case, by Sunday morning we had less than 40 available due to various reasons.

Back in previous years, we had so few judges committed to these events, that we RARELY got a break. In fact, I think I was on the floor for all but maybe 3-4 heats throughout the entire weekend most years prior to this one (and I've been judging Sectionals/Regionals since 2009).

I love giving back to the community, and judging these events is one way that I do it. However, it is largely thankless - beyond that, we normally dig deep into our own wallets (and time) just to do it. And then after giving up a weekend, sometimes traveling to an event site, going out of pocket to get a hotel room for a couple nights, working long hours each day (this year we had daily briefings at 0630 and again after the venue cleared - usually ending around 1900) you go on message boards and Facebook and see how the judging at the events just gets pummeled by keyboard cowboys.

Sometimes it hardly seems worth it.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #27
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
For brevity and board space, I'm only quoting part of your post Chris, but I have to say your post is spot on, amigo.

And just so you and everyone else knows, at Mid-Atlantic Regionals this year we had 48 judges, broken down to 4 teams of 12, rotating through all of the heats each day. And, as is usually the case, by Sunday morning we had less than 40 available due to various reasons.

Back in previous years, we had so few judges committed to these events, that we RARELY got a break. In fact, I think I was on the floor for all but maybe 3-4 heats throughout the entire weekend most years prior to this one (and I've been judging Sectionals/Regionals since 2009).

I love giving back to the community, and judging these events is one way that I do it. However, it is largely thankless - beyond that, we normally dig deep into our own wallets (and time) just to do it. And then after giving up a weekend, sometimes traveling to an event site, going out of pocket to get a hotel room for a couple nights, working long hours each day (this year we had daily briefings at 0630 and again after the venue cleared - usually ending around 1900) you go on message boards and Facebook and see how the judging at the events just gets pummeled by keyboard cowboys.

Well said! Really, at the end of it all, I think the best people are earning the spots to the Games, and the one guy who wrote this is the only one who has made any noise about it (that I have heard).

The most disturbing thing was the racial implications. I have no tolerance for that, and maybe that should be investigated, but bring that up with the right people, dont throw it out on a blog in an attempt to smear the sport......
Old 06-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #28
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:

I'm guessing a lot of folks don't realize how difficult and exhausting it is to be a judge in real live competitions. Judge 20+ heats in a day and you are absolutely wiped out. It is mentally exhausting even when you are working with top flight athletes who move well. Judging the newer athletes who don't move well is even more difficult (and they are ones more likely to ***** inappropriately as well when you have to no rep them).

I watched lots of regional coverage 3 out of 4 weekends this year and felt the judging was admirable. Sure I saw what I thought were some errors, mostly athletes getting away with no reps which were not called, but for the most part they were judged well and the athletes' performances--not errors in judging--determined who was on the podium and is going to the Games. The process is not perfect and will never be but it is at a respectable level and worked.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #29
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:

Sounds to me like you should be compensated for your time. At a minimum have your travel, lodging, and meals covered. HQ is profiting off of the games, minimally compensation shouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #30
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
Really? Who is saying it is bad in this thread?
I mean their means of judging etc., not CrossFit training methodology.