CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-14-2014, 01:32 AM   #1
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:
Blood pressure over 140

just had a checkup and turned out (at the young age of 31) i have HBP at 140/90(ish) - naturally this has got me a little concerned.

I'm hoping some of you might be able impart some advice or thoughts about what i should do?

a little back ground -
I workout 5-7 times a week, with at least 2-3 WODs in that time, but mostly powerlifting lifts and oly lifts. i've now started to add 1km-3km runs as well.

Foodwise i eat out a lot (it's just the culture here in China) mostly i'm able to stick to a 70% paleo diet with rice or pasta occasionally for lunch...salt might be an issue (noted that i should cut down); i also have a large protein shake post-workout. very little snacking, but chocolate cadbury fingers are my Hercules hair.

height - approx. 5'9, weight approx 185lbs

1RMs (if it helps)
Back squat 300 (but typically 245ish)
shoulder press 105-125ish
bench 185-205
deadlift 300-325

Fran -15min (i've noticed that my phosphagen pathway is pretty decent, but glycoltic and oxidative pathways such bad - studying for my L1!)

so, is there any advice about training, food and generally managing High Blood pressure you all can impart? (i'm very grateful in advance!)
Old 05-14-2014, 01:42 AM   #2
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: Blood pressure over 140

Quote:
(i've noticed that my phosphagen pathway is pretty decent, but glycoltic and oxidative pathways such bad - studying for my L1!)
Sorry for going a bit off topic, but can you tell more about the upper quote?

As for the topic, is there any history in your family around high blood pressure diseases?
Old 05-14-2014, 02:07 AM   #3
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Sorry for going a bit off topic, but can you tell more about the upper quote?
Sure -
phosphagen pathway - basically from my basic understanding - refers to the ability to do explosive power/strength generating movements over a short period of time ie a few seconds.

glycoltic pathway - same but for a longer duration about a minute.

oxidative pathways - basically 'endurance' movement over 2minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
As for the topic, is there any history in your family around high blood pressure diseases?
yeah, but dad is on Meds and has been since his late 40's. not sure about my mum, though she smokes like it's going out of fashion.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
Chris Jones

Profile:

Blood pressure is largely hereditary. Often times people are healthy otherwise, low bodyweight and low bodyfat percentages, clean diet and exercise and can still have high blood pressure if there is family history.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #5
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

Hey Chris,

thanks for your comments, i guess not much i can do about it other than keep crossfitting and eating well...

i assume there's no risk to me continuing to lift and crossfit with HBP?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #6
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

If possible, Id do a test at the doctors office. They hook you up to an ecg and blood pressure measuring device then you either walk/run on a trendmill. And you walk/run as long as possible while they monitor your heart.

If that turns out to be fine, I see no reasons why not to continue with CF. And while you gain aerobic capacity your BP might fall a bit too.

If the only history, connected to high pressure are medications, and no stroke or similar, it just might be normal in your family.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
Joe Novak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cheung View Post
Hey Chris,

thanks for your comments, i guess not much i can do about it other than keep crossfitting and eating well...

i assume there's no risk to me continuing to lift and crossfit with HBP?
The guidelines on BP have recently changed, at least here in the US.
Link is WFS: http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/n...e-201312186953

You could have white coat syndrome. Nerves and stress can certainly temporarily spike it. The best thing for you might be to monitor it daily and see what the running average is. Also, this can let you see what caffeine, salt, etc will do to it.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

thanks, both.

its seems like 140 is right on the boarder so maybe it was due to nerves. regardless, i think monitoring it and watching salt can't be a bad thing... going to the Docs to get it 'reviewed' seems like a good plan. i'll add more metcons and distance work.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
Chris Jones

Profile:

at 28 years old and in good health otherwise, my BP is consistently 135-145 and has been for several years. My doc has been keeping a watch on it and knows that im highly active and eat very well, he doesnt seem too concerned as long as my numbers arent getting higher over the years. But, my entire family has a history of high BP and heart disease, mostly due to diet im assuming(we are in the south after all), as none of them are really overweight.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:18 AM   #10
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cheung View Post
thanks, both.

its seems like 140 is right on the boarder so maybe it was due to nerves. regardless, i think monitoring it and watching salt can't be a bad thing... going to the Docs to get it 'reviewed' seems like a good plan. i'll add more metcons and distance work.
Be careful to still hit enough salt/sodium daily. Getting electrolite deficient can be very bad for your body.