CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
Aaron Chesser

Profile:
Question No more Fran at L1???

I have a couple of friends who went to the L1 seminar this weekend and apparently per CF HQ from now on Fran will not be done during the seminar weekend. The explanation they got was that there have been too many injuries while doing Fran. Since I have my L1 and like many others, I feel like Fran is a right of passage. It's the one WOD everyone dreads and everyone going into their L1 knows its coming. If CF HQ wants to make things easier for those attending, maybe those attending aren't ready for their L1. If their form is so bad that participants dislocate shoulders, etc, maybe they need to focus on receiving better coaching rather than becoming a coach and training others the wrong way. If CF makes things "easier" for the masses, then it has become no better than the typical globo gym with trainers who know nothing other than how to up-sell their members. I know CF is designed so everyone at any level can do it (scaled or whatever) but the point of the L1 is to give those who are very serious about a CF a chance to better themselves and go onto to help others. I guess what will happen next is they will stop testing people because people will complain of test anxiety.

And before people start commenting let me make it clear that I do not believe Fran is the end all be all of CF. I'm merely stating that CF needs to make sure that this isn't the beginning of them "dumbing down" CF just for them to reel in more people for the $$$$$.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: No more Fran at L1???

Meh...I could care less what my coach's Fran time is or even whether or not he/she has ever done it.

- Mark
Old 06-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Yeah, I don't have a problem with that. The thing with doing Fran every time was, everybody knows it's coming, and because everybody knows what it is and is expecting it, they get all geared up to push themselves and get a PR, or whatever, which with high-rep pullups could be a recipe for rhabdo - as a matter of fact, one of my affiliate's coaches ended up giving it to himself from his L1 Fran.

I don't think dropping a workout of thrusters and pullups (two relatively simple CF movements) for something unexpected (but very likely easily as challenging) is in any way "dumbing down" CrossFit.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Aaron Chesser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Meh...I could care less what my coach's Fran time is or even whether or not he/she has ever done it.

- Mark
I didn't say anything about a Fran time. I myself could care less just like you. But if you have people who can't perform even something as basic as a thruster or a pull-up then I'm not sure i want them coaching. Just my 2 cents. I understand injuries can happen doing any type of movement but if you get hurt during Fran I would hate to see some of their OLY lifts.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
Aaron Chesser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Yeah, I don't have a problem with that. The thing with doing Fran every time was, everybody knows it's coming, and because everybody knows what it is and is expecting it, they get all geared up to push themselves and get a PR, or whatever, which with high-rep pullups could be a recipe for rhabdo - as a matter of fact, one of my affiliate's coaches ended up giving it to himself from his L1 Fran.

I don't think dropping a workout of thrusters and pullups (two relatively simple CF movements) for something unexpected (but very likely easily as challenging) is in any way "dumbing down" CrossFit.
Their workout was thrusters and push-ups. Just to clarify. So the hardest part of Fran IMO they kept. I do agree with what you said about people getting all geared up and pushing for a PR. Maybe they should make the workout optional since it doesn't affect your test score and someone getting their cert.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Chesser View Post
But if you have people who can't perform even something as basic as a thruster or a pull-up then I'm not sure i want them coaching.
Not doing Fran during the L1 cert doesn't at all prove to me that a person can't do a thruster or a pullup.

By the same token, having a coach who can do a 2:30 Fran doesn't at all prove to me that they can coach.

On a percentage basis, I doubt that the majority of the people getting their L1 cert can coach worth a damn right off the bat. Getting the cert proves you have the required basic knowledge that HQ says you need to have.

Being a good coach only comes with talent, time, experience, success, and failure.

- Mark
Old 06-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

How can 45 kipping pullups be described as High Rep Pullups?

45 Thrusters and 45 kipping pullups can mess somebody up. Especially if they are kipping because of the stretch-contract action of the hips and core and then tacked on with a Thruster which has A LOT of ROM/work even if it's only at 95lbs.

I dunno, they should probably go over Fran maybe. Maybe have a few fire breathers demo it or watch it on video. And if anyone wants to, do it during lunch or break time. Definitely go over each of the movements

Or maybe something like Fran in a band plus bar only/weighted stick/PVC. Or a mini Fran. 12-9-6.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #8
Oli Kellett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post

- Mark
So you care?

If you said you couldn't care less then it makes sense.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #9
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
How can 45 kipping pullups be described as High Rep Pullups?

45 Thrusters and 45 kipping pullups can mess somebody up. Especially if they are kipping because of the stretch-contract action of the hips and core and then tacked on with a Thruster which has A LOT of ROM/work even if it's only at 95lbs.

I dunno, they should probably go over Fran maybe. Maybe have a few fire breathers demo it or watch it on video. And if anyone wants to, do it during lunch or break time. Definitely go over each of the movements

Or maybe something like Fran in a band plus bar only/weighted stick/PVC. Or a mini Fran. 12-9-6.
For the people that decide 2 weeks of CF have changed their lives and they need to get their L1 to share with everyone, 45 pullups is high rep. (Exaggerating I know, but not by much.)
Old 06-17-2013, 04:01 AM   #10
Philipp Lendner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Another idea: do Fran, but do not let the clock run. Do the workout, not for time but for quality of movement (this is from my Gymnastics L1 course).
If you try this workout (or any other workout that is "for time"), the task is to make every rep a perfect rep, no matter how long it takes you.