CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #181
Jordan Derksen

Profile:
Re: Renegade Diet

I'm not gonna lie, starting this up has been a really good decision for me. Without knowing it I actually used to eat this way when I was younger just because I was never hungry for breakfast. Back then I was really lean.

Also changing my diet overall has allowed me to find new foods to enjoy, overall what I'm eating now is healthier and even a few days in I'm feeling really good. I don't miss breakfast at all.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #182
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Whats the reason behind that? You just want to loose some BF or is it something else? Why did you start with breakfast (wow, I only now realised that this is actually coming from break(ing)fast(ing) - wow...) anyway?
I actually enjoy it more. Skipping breakfast is not a big deal to me and I prefer to save my calories for diner. I also felt better when I skipped breakfast (less lethargic). Could just be a mental thing, but I feel better. My co-worker said the same thing and he is doing then renegade diet again.

I don't really care that much about my BF. I'm around 14.5 and I'm working out more for fitness than looks. If I drop BF, that will just be a bonus.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #183
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Here's my food intake for the day:

8am:
Starbucks Venti iced red-eye with heavy cream

10am:
3 eggs

1pm:
Chicken Breats with mushrooms, zucchini, and red peppers

5pm:
Ran 2.08 miles

6pm:
1.5 Chicken breasts and 2 cups of white rice
Then 4 homemade chocolate brownies with 1/2 cup 1% milk and Hershey's chocolate syrup.

Calories: 2129 calories
Protein: 209 gr
Carbs: 222 gr
Fats: 54 gr

This was a light day for me as far as calories go.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #184
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

I feel like I'm stalling a bit on this. I definitely leaned up and didn't lose weight, but this belly just won't go away, ever.

Typical day:

11am 7oz chicken, mushrooms and peppers, 1 tbs olive oil, 1tbs pesto sauce, 1/2 an avocado
Calories: 606
Carbs: 14
Fat: 34
Protein: 51
Sodium: 225
Sugar: 7

4pm 7oz chicken, mushrooms and peppers, 1 tbs olive oil, 1 cup of cooked brown rice, 1/2 an avocado, hot sauce
Calories: 792
Carbs: 64
Fat: 30
Protein: 55
Sodium: 690
Sugar: 13

WOD at 6:30 - 7:30 and have a protein shake right after
Calories: 140
Carbs: 3
Fat: 3
Protein: 27
Sodium: 170
Sugar: 3

8:30 two salmon burgers and baked yams, banana w pb
Calories: 877
Carbs: 92
Sodium: 782
Sugar: 16

Anything jump out as being really bad here?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #185
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
I feel like I'm stalling a bit on this. I definitely leaned up and didn't lose weight, but this belly just won't go away, ever.

Typical day:

11am 7oz chicken, mushrooms and peppers, 1 tbs olive oil, 1tbs pesto sauce, 1/2 an avocado
Calories: 606
Carbs: 14
Sodium: 225
Sugar: 7

4pm 7oz chicken, mushrooms and peppers, 1 tbs olive oil, 1 cup of cooked brown rice, 1/2 an avocado, hot sauce
Calories: 792
Carbs: 64
Fat: 30
Protein: 55
Sodium: 690
Sugar: 13

WOD at 6:30 - 7:30 and have a protein shake right after
Calories: 140
Carbs: 3
Fat: 3
Protein: 27
Sodium: 170
Sugar: 3

8:30 two salmon burgers and baked yams, banana w pb
Calories: 877
Carbs: 92
Sodium: 782
Sugar: 16

Anything jump out as being really bad here?
Drop the avocado at 11 and drop the brown rice at 4pm. Save your carbs for post workout. It looks like you are having about 2400 calories. Drop it to about 2200.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #186
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Here is what I usually have for my workout day:

morning coffee with 100g of butter
first "real" meal at 2pm, 4 eggs with 50g of baco
*workout
PWO shake
second and last "real" meal at 9pm: 200g of white rice noodles, 150 of beef mincemeat with veggies (zucchini, pepper, onion, tomato and spices)
then I add a bit of fat via cream in case im missing calories

rougly 3000 calories with 130g of protein, 240g carbs and the rest fat. I dont believe in high protein intake because excess of it just goes to carbs. I believe my protein intake is enough to promote muscle growth at a healthy rate.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #187
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Quote:
Here is what I usually have for my workout day:

morning coffee with 100g of butter
first "real" meal at 2pm, 4 eggs with 50g of baco
*workout
PWO shake
second and last "real" meal at 9pm: 200g of white rice noodles, 150 of beef mincemeat with veggies (zucchini, pepper, onion, tomato and spices)
then I add a bit of fat via cream in case im missing calories

rougly 3000 calories with 130g of protein, 240g carbs and the rest fat. I dont believe in high protein intake because excess of it just goes to carbs. I believe my protein intake is enough to promote muscle growth at a healthy rate.
Do you still feel recovered and notice muscle mass gain on that intake? I've often wondered as well and heard some people say even 0.8g/lb is enough. Quite honestly the way food is structured in general fulfilling protein need for the day and not going over on carbs or fats is very difficult if you're not supplementing with shakes or eating nothing but chicken breasts. I've often wondered if the 1-1.5g/lb of protein was more of a marketing move by supplement companies to get you to buy powder; alongside the ridiculous 30minute window myth. Does it help? Sure. Guys have been getting strong for thousands of years before powder though so I wonder.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #188
Matt Messier

Profile:

I have just completed my first work week of this and the lbs are dropping like flies! I really haven"t changed my nutrition, I have just condensed it to incorporate the fasting. I love it! My energy has remained high and have not hit any walls in my workouts. The weekend will be a bit rough though.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #189
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Jordan, Im currently using Chris's CF conjugate program and only started 2 weeks ago (together with it I also changed my diet) so I am not quite sure yet about gains.

I do closely track my body fat, total weight, daily calorie intake, etc etc... so it should be clear pretty soon how I react to it.

You are right, the 1g per lb is most likely a product of "bodybuilding" industry. Maybe we can do a bit of calculation. Lets say a "normal" muscle growth for a normal person is like 0.5lb per week. How much of that is water, protein, glycogen and other stuff? But even if 0.5lb per week would be pure protein, that would make a daily growth rate of 0.071lb which is way less than 1g per lb. Its 32 grams. So we can gain 32g of muscle per week, how much protein intake is needed for it? Dont fortget muscles are mainly made of water, I beliee 70% of them is water.

Last edited by Dare Vodusek : 10-11-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #190
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Quote:
Jordan, Im currently using Chris's CF conjugate program and only started 2 weeks ago (together with it I also changed my diet) so I am not quite sure yet about gains.

I do closely track my body fat, total weight, daily calorie intake, etc etc... so it should be clear pretty soon how I react to it.

You are right, the 1g per lb is most likely a product of "bodybuilding" industry. Maybe we can do a bit of calculation. Lets say a "normal" muscle growth for a normal person is like 0.5lb per week. How much of that is water, protein, glycogen and other stuff? But even if 0.5lb per week would be pure protein, that would make a daily growth rate of 0.071lb which is way less than 1g per lb. Its 32 grams. So we can gain 32g of muscle per week, how much protein intake is needed for it? Dont fortget muscles are mainly made of water, I beliee 70% of them is water.
Exactly right. It seems to me that if someone isn't gaining muscle mass the primary culprit always seems to be overall energy intake. The body is never looking around going 'aw crap where are all my building blocks. I TOLD you I needed 1g per lb of bodyweight'. It's more like the body is going 'I don't think we have enough energy to support new muscle growth, if we build it we gotta tear it down right aways'. Since protein itself provides energy in the midrange between fats and carbs it would seem to me when someone supplements with a ton of protein it's not 'oh here's the building blocks' its more 'oh we have the energy we need'. For many people the missing link to getting bigger is manipulating carbs and fats to simply get in more overall energy every day. For many people they're easily meeting daily protein need just having a regular diet filled with meats and dairy.

Cause like you said, if your body decides to make a new muscle cell or grow a current one bigger what's it gotta fill it with? Glycogen. You won't grow new muscle if your body knows you're just going to starve it.