CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-30-2005, 04:42 PM   #1
Ashley Rogers

Profile:
What do you guys eat or drink post-workout?

What do you think about: Endurox R4 w/little extra L-Glutamine and few minutes later have a small protein shake?
Old 05-01-2005, 07:54 AM   #2
Fraser Auld

Profile:

My wife and I have friends who used to be and still train with elite level triatheletes. They swear by a product called CytoMax (by a company called CytoSport I think...) immediately after the workout, then a proper meal within 1 hour.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:03 PM   #3
Jason Simpkins

Profile:

Ashely,

Products like Endurox are okay, but not absolutely necessary for post workout recovery. They are however, very helpful for long distance events ( 2+ hours) such as triathlons, in terms of quick glycogen replenishment on the go.

If you are performing a crossfit style workout, a post workout shake consisting of a quality whey protein isolate (35 g), l-glutamine (5 g), creatine (5 g-optional) organic fruit (I like frozen blueberries) and/or raw honey and fish or flax oil (1 Tbs) will work wonders for recovery. It would also be wise, due to the massive amount of free radicals initiated by exercise, to ingest some form of extra antioxidant protection such as Vitamin C (1 g).

Keep in mind that the post work out window of opportunity lasts for approximately 1 hour, during which time your body is primed to absorb maximum nutrients. A shake taken immediately following your training session is your best bet, because it is digested quicker and with less energy than a whole foods meal.

Hope that helps,

Jason
Old 05-01-2005, 01:05 PM   #4
Grady McDonald

Profile:
I used to swear by Endurox after a long effort (long run/march or swim) Would feel the next day if I took it or not. I havn't touched it since doing CF. I just stopped taking it for no reason really. Water and a 5 blocker has been my poison of late post WO. I'll have to experiment unless someone gives me a reason not to take it.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:01 PM   #5
Sean Mulcahy

Profile:
I do a version of Dave Draper's post-workout recipe.

Blend:
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 banana
1 scoop whey protein (chocolate tastes best)
1 scoop ice (5 or 6 cubes)

Be prepared ... this can be a meal in itself.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:42 AM   #6
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Chocolate milk ala Larry Lindeman! Best recovery drink ever!
Old 05-02-2005, 10:07 AM   #7
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I second Ron's suggestion! The frequency of rest days I take has nose-dived since supping shakes post workout.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:30 AM   #8
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
My fav.

3/4 handful of nuts/seeds
Piece of Fruit
Chunk of veggie or low sodium veggie juice
3/4 handful of low sodium lunch meat

Lots of these post-workout products are loaded with vitamins and such, and lots of folks like to mega-dose on c&e. In my opinion, it's over-kill.

My free-radical biochemistry is rusty (maybe Robb can help?). But, regarding post-work out reactive oxygen species (ROS) detox: some ROS are are detoxed by cytosolic and/or mitochondrial enzymes, which have little to do with vitamin c (but I seem to remember a relationship somewhere.. recycling or something of that nature). Others are eliminated by enzyme independant mechanisms, where compounds like vitamin c and e do play a role. However, 1000mg of vitamin c sounds like much more than the situation would require, or reactions would be capable of utilizing. Citrus fruit, some nuts/seeds, and you'll get plenty of ascorbic acid and a nice blend of tocopherols. Course... vitamin C is dirt cheap, and pretty easy to **** out the extra, so prob. can't hurt much.

I like Jasons honey and fish/flax oil combination... sounds very potent, but a bit too hard core for me! :-)

Brad
Old 05-02-2005, 11:36 AM   #9
Erik Reckdenwald

Profile:
What is the protocol if doing The Zone when you have a post workout snack/meal/shake? Does this count for one of your meals/snacks (depending on blocks)? So a large, balanced shake would be counted as one of your three full meals for the day?
Old 05-02-2005, 12:03 PM   #10
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Erik,
I count my PWO shake as a 4 blocker. I generally use a 1/2c of organic plain yogurt (1C,1P), 3 blocks of various frozen berries, a scoop of Grow, water to make it liquid, and 2 tsp of coconut oil (6F).