CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:
help me choose some equipment please.

I recently quit my affiliate and am working out at home. I'm planning on spending my $125/mo on equipment for a while until I get a decent setup. I've got some stuff already but I feel like I'm forgetting a few things. Thought I'd ask the audience for suggestions, pretty please..

I've got..

-Power Rack/Bench and platform
-Oly Bar and 300lbs of plates
-KB's
-DB's
-AbMat
-Bands
-Jump Rope

Planned..

-Solid Med Balls (nowhere to wall ball..just slams, etc)
-Start adding bumpers as needed
-Another bar (for the wife)

I feel like there's a few things I'm missing. My ceilings are only 6.5ft high so I won't be bothering with rings or rope, etc. Even box jumps are out of the question, although I can take those outside when the weather is good. I'll build those though. Even if I'm missing things you don't typically see, I'm interested to know your thoughts. With my space being limited I have to be creative about WODs. My wife is on-board right now and I'd like to keep it interesting and "fresh" for her.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Michael Cook

Profile:
Re: help me choose some equipment please.

I think a 6.5ft high ceiling really limits what you can do. Sounds like you wouln't be able to do anything overhead.

A rower or an Air-Dyne and a GHD might be good additions. Some pvc pipe for mobility and technique work would help.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Patrick Weaver

Profile:

sand bag is cheap and takes up a small amount of space and is fun to use! My wife got me one for Christmas
Old 01-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post
I think a 6.5ft high ceiling really limits what you can do. Sounds like you wouln't be able to do anything overhead.

A rower or an Air-Dyne and a GHD might be good additions. Some pvc pipe for mobility and technique work would help.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm working out (in my head..lol) a GHD addition on my rack. I have to be pretty careful with my KB swings and I do strict pullups about mouth to bar..lol. Really the only thing I care about not having is push press. I can strict press seated, but I love push press.

Thanks Patrick. I just added sandbags to my list. Does yours leak?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Do you rent or own?

If it's your house you could always take out some of the drywall in the ceiling to allow for overhead stuff

I think you've got a good list there though and I agree with looking into a rower or airdyne.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Rushbrook View Post
I recently quit my affiliate and am working out at home. I'm planning on spending my $125/mo on equipment for a while until I get a decent setup. I've got some stuff already but I feel like I'm forgetting a few things. Thought I'd ask the audience for suggestions, pretty please..

I've got..

-Power Rack/Bench and platform
-Oly Bar and 300lbs of plates
-KB's
-DB's
-AbMat
-Bands
-Jump Rope

Planned..

-Solid Med Balls (nowhere to wall ball..just slams, etc)
-Start adding bumpers as needed
-Another bar (for the wife)

I feel like there's a few things I'm missing. My ceilings are only 6.5ft high so I won't be bothering with rings or rope, etc. Even box jumps are out of the question, although I can take those outside when the weather is good. I'll build those though. Even if I'm missing things you don't typically see, I'm interested to know your thoughts. With my space being limited I have to be creative about WODs. My wife is on-board right now and I'd like to keep it interesting and "fresh" for her.

Thanks in advance!
I work out at home mostly too and you got me beat with the weight in plates, and having DB's. I stick to the basic strength movements and it definitely takes some creative thinking but it's not too hard to think of WOD's to create. For $125 you might be able to pick up a used rower or airdyne like someone said. That added a great dynamic to my "gym" when I was able to throw in 250-500m rows into the workout. You've really got everything you NEED though. People get too caught up in specialized equipment for movements that are nice, but not significant. Can you perform barbell movements with sufficient weight? Do you have the space to perform more technique movements?

If anything maybe just grab a kettlebell or two.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
Patrick Weaver

Profile:

I have the muscle driver sand bag. It's a large bag with a bunch of canvas handles that you put sleeves full of sand into. The small internal sleeves that you fill with sand are really thick and have some serious velcro. It definitely does not leak! It's tough but it has been really fun to play with. Nothing like chucking around dead weight haha!

Depending on where you live you can harvest sand from the beach or since it was raining when I wanted it I went to Home Depot and got play sand 60lbs for less than $5! (I bought 2 bags)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Deyan View Post
I work out at home mostly too and you got me beat with the weight in plates, and having DB's. I stick to the basic strength movements and it definitely takes some creative thinking but it's not too hard to think of WOD's to create. For $125 you might be able to pick up a used rower or airdyne like someone said. That added a great dynamic to my "gym" when I was able to throw in 250-500m rows into the workout. You've really got everything you NEED though. People get too caught up in specialized equipment for movements that are nice, but not significant. Can you perform barbell movements with sufficient weight? Do you have the space to perform more technique movements?

If anything maybe just grab a kettlebell or two.
I've got a lot of the basics because I've trained at home off and on over the years just depending on what my circumstances are at the time. This time I'm just burned out with organized crossfit and/or someone else's programming conflicting with my own goals, etc. Honestly, it's just gotten a little too popular. That's great for Crossfit and my friends at the box but for me, I'm losing interest in it as a group activity.

I got a 50lb KB on Amazon slightly damaged for $38. I'd like a 70 as well but next will probably be a 35 for my wife. She wanted to start with a 15 and it won't be a challenge for long.

Matt mentioned the ceilings. I own but it's not an option. The basement will be semi finished at some point. The joists really would still be too low regardless.

We do have one room that might be an option eventually but commandeering that one would really probably only be an option if my wife sticks with it long term. I'm optimistic but we'll see I guess.

Pat, can i call you Pat? You cant call ME Pat though. I'm funny, I know. I'll check the sandbags out. Looks like the outer bag would be cheap, then I could buy play sand and wrap those in duct tape.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
David Allen Rogers

Profile:

In rough order of my personal preferences...

- Fractional plates. The ability to add 2.5 lb or lower increments to the bar is magical for making steady strength gains. This is even more true for your wife who will probably be working with weights where 5 or 10 lb increments will be a huge percentage increase. Real fractional plates are expensive for what they are but if you search, there has been past discussion on how to get them for cheaper (washers, for example).

- More kettlebell. You don't mention what kettlebells you already have but more is always better. Add lighter kettlebells for technique work and for your wife. Add to what you already have to make pairs. Add heavier to keep strength moves interesting.

- Rower. I've never used an airdyne but I get the impression that the effect is similar. I prefer the rower just because it is a real world movement and maybe one day I'll find myself in a boat wanting to row.

- Sandbag. You can go the DIY route with this. Just go to the hardware store and buy some bagged sand, heavy trash bags, and duct tape. Sandbags are cool as a functional load to pick up off the ground and run around the block.

- A climbing rope. I know you said your roof is low but you can buy a 6' rope with eyelet and hang it from your pull-up bar and pull yourself up from the ground or do rope pull-ups on it. This is assuming that you really have a burning desire to work on rope climbing.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
Jon Hanover

Profile:

1. kettlebell - hands down #1... and you can bring it outside of high swings when nice.

2. rower (c2 or cheaper equiv - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ps%2Ck%3Arower WFS - check out the cheaper ones for $250 or CL)

3. slam ball (http://www.repfitness.com/conditioni...alls/slam-ball WFS best price I've seen)

3. any fun climbing oriented equipment. http://i.imgur.com/lK3vJ.jpg WFS or grip trainers.... bucket full of sand/rice is always fun

4. Go inverted on your power rack! http://www.energycenter.com/grav_f/boots.html WFS

5. paralletes make for a great exercise that is different than a hanging L sit

6. Buy some wood gymnastic rings too with #3 link for $65? or so, haven't look since I bought mine there a bit ago. You can hang them outside when the weather is nice on a tree. Or have them inside to do dips, push ups, handstand push ups if you're a beast, slow muscle ups if you're strong as well. etc. Basically, they are worth it for the price

Good luck with the slow build! Saving 2 months in a row for something worth-while like a rower is advised.... especially if you live in a colder/seasonal climate.