CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-12-2004, 12:41 PM   #1
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

I've been back in the CF game for about 3 days now, and have been eating 100% paleo. One thing I've noticed is that I am hungry just about all the time. I eat 4-5 good sized meals per day. But not long after a meal is over I feel damn hungry again. Fat isnt the issue and I've tried all types of different fat (macadamia nuts, walnuts, olive oil, mac-nut oil, coconut, etc.) and nothing seems to shake the hunger. I have been sprinkling kelp on everything - I used to have an issue with low body temp and the kelp really helped. Anyway, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

-Jay
Old 08-12-2004, 02:39 PM   #2
Patrick Walsh

Profile:
nothing much to add here, just that I feel the same way. When I'm doing crossfit I can't keep enough food in me. For example I just got back form a buffet where I stuffed myself with as much greenbeans and fish as I could. 1 hour later and I'm hungry!

If I lay off the crossfit, but still play soccer and climb I'm not nearly as hungry.}
Old 08-12-2004, 03:51 PM   #3
Kevin H

Profile:  
Try balancing out the mass of protein and carbohydrates you consume, which is about three grams protein for every four grams of carbohydrate. It works for me at least.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:30 PM   #4
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Jay,

I did well by upping it to 5 meals a day plus a couple extra calories on the side (pre-workout protein and/or protein before bed). It also helped me to lower fiber intake and eat more carbs from nuts. I like cashews, almonds and the evil, psuedo-nut legume, the peanut.

Ross
Old 08-13-2004, 05:29 AM   #5
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Be sure to eat a wide variety of foods at each meal - when I was on true paleo, I was just as you describe, starving all the time, but I found that when I ate a wide variety of foods at each meal I was comfortably full. An example from the buffet would be a salad with everything on it that is possible under the paleo diet, one or two types of fruit, some kind of meat (not fried), and the right amount of fat from oil, nuts, or meat. The fat is the most important part I think, from animal and plant sources. When I started eating lots of types of foods at each meal I think my body got what it had been missing and wasn't as hungry all the time. I'm not true paleo now but I still push for variety.

Hope this helps, I know how it feels to be so hungry after stuffing oneself.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:36 PM   #6
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Thanks a lot guys.

-Jay
Old 08-17-2004, 08:20 AM   #7
Scott Parker

Profile:
jay-

i have experienced the same exact things you are regarding the extreme hunger when i first started crossfit and going paleo. i mean, it was ridiculous. i was ALWAYS starving, no matter how much i ate, and was doing paleo to the letter, and getting the exact amount of carbs, protein, and fat spaced over 6 meals a day. my solution? well, i am no longer paleo (but this is more due to lifestyle and scheduling issues with school and work rather than by choice). i simply added in more carbs and it seems to be working. i've added a little bit if body fat as a result, but i feel a whole lot better, not as hungry all the time, etc. i don't know about you, but i have the kind of metabolism where i can literally eat anything and won't really gain any weight, so this seems to work for me. i've added things to my diet that were previously "forbidden" like the occasional slice of pizza, some ice cream etc. i'm not saying it will work for everyone, but it has for me so far. i guess i'm just blessed/cursed with a ridiculous metabolism, and to be completely honest feel like i need the extra carbs to hold me over to the next meal. good luck, and like robb has said numerous times in the past, it's all about tinkering and seeing what works best for you. i've been here for two years now and am still learning new things about diet and how they affect me!

have fun!

scott
Old 08-17-2004, 05:27 PM   #8
Roy Taylor

Profile:
I strongly believe that grain may have its place, especially if the last several centuries of ancestors were grain farmers(i.e. MINE)

For instance, if my carbs are fruits and/or veggies, I start getting hungry at least an hour after I eat, I am always about to fall asleep, poor concentration, no strength, etc. However, If I have oatmeal as the main source, It is completely the other way around. In fact, I have so much energy that Im fidgety and there is NO crash whatsoever. In fact, I feel I could go on for many hours(like an entire afternoon into an evening) after a meal with some sort of an unrefined starch.

this is another shining example of what works for one may not for another. I tried strict paleo for a while with a good selection of paleo foods. Results:

1. irritability
2. fat gain
3. poor performance and recoveries
4. poor concentration
5. lethargy.
6. Farting(a lot)

Im not against paleo eating, because I do believe these results are strictly genetic. I still eat one or two strict paleo meals a day and get the same results after each one. I just do it for the antioxidants.

Cheers

"All fruit, no grain makes Roy a dull boy."