CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Tricia Magrini

Profile:
Best ankle/achilles mobility drills?

Pretty much have decided many of my lifts are halted by my lack of ankle mobility. I toe out all of my stances way too much, can't hold the bottom of a squat without losing it backward...and pistols, HA! Short of watching every KStar video around does anyone have good reference videos or links to help address this? Thanks!
Old 09-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Best ankle/achilles mobility drills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
Pretty much have decided many of my lifts are halted by my lack of ankle mobility. I toe out all of my stances way too much, can't hold the bottom of a squat without losing it backward...and pistols, HA! Short of watching every KStar video around does anyone have good reference videos or links to help address this? Thanks!
Always a good idea to get checked out to see if there is a bony reason why your mobility is poor, exam and +/-xrays could help instead of beating yourself up first
Old 10-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Joey Dussel

Profile:

After doing what Sean said you should watch every KStar video ever....Haha just kidding! But seriously check out what he has on his site. Watch 4-5 <4 minute videos and I bet you'll have 5-10 new tools in your toolset, along with a new mindset, which is even more important.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Stephen Soye

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
Always a good idea to get checked out to see if there is a bony reason why your mobility is poor, exam and +/-xrays could help instead of beating yourself up first
Hey Sean,

I just stumbled across this thread when looking up issues with ankle mobility. After a little research, I believe its possible I have bony equinis of the ankle. Reason being I can't get into a full airsquat:
-Despite no major issues in other areas (hips, t-spine).
-After a couple of months of concentrated soft tissue work and stretching, there has been no improvement.
-Dorsiflexion is quite poor, I can only move my foot less than an inch from the wall when doing that knee tap exercise. When I test, re-test after stretching etc. there is no improvement

I also recall getting an x ray after a bad ankle sprain years ago and the doctor noting bone spurs at the front of the ankle (I have played a lot of soccer - possibly some sort of repetetive stress from kicking the ball with the foot in a plantarflexed state).

What are my options? Get an xray and bring to a physio / physical therapist? Is there treatment or do I just have to work around it?
The problem is in both ankles also.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Hi Stephen there is something called bony impingement of the ankle , where spurs in the front of the tibia grow out and prevent the talus (the bone that allows the foot to flex and extend or go down and up) from coming all the way up giving you limited dorsiflexion of the ankle. Here is a good picture of the spur, this is a small one

http://imaging.birjournals.org/conte...expansion.html

An arthroscope can shave that piece of bone with very good success if the rest of the joint is not arthritic and all else has failed. Sean
Old 10-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #6
Stephen Soye

Profile:

Thanks very much. I have a strong feeling that this is the problem. I'll be armed with some info now for when I go and get it checked out by a professional. Much appreciated.