CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
Laurel Andrews

Profile:
One week to rotator cuff repair surgery..

hi, I'm very interested in crossfit though haven't started in earnest yet.
I have done 3 private cf coaching classes to learn the moves and the methodology, read the journal, and 'done my own thing' at home. I run and whitewater paddle too - but not seen any water for the past year really, due to shoulder injury. finally going to have arthroscopic surgery on it next Tues.
I have read so much about how this will hurt!!! Any advice on diet, supplements and exercises for pre and post surgery MUCH appreciated.
It's a 50% tear to the anterior supraspinatus. Thanks so much all. rate of recovery ? I took 2 weeks off of work in anticipation of op. I'm 43 y o female and I'd say pretty fit.Look forward to hearing back from you all! Have a super day.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
Michael Dries

Profile:
Re: One week to rotator cuff repair surgery..

I'm 9 weeks out from a labrum repair, and although the surgery is different from a rotator the recovery time/process is similar.

2 weeks is probably more than enough, what do you do for work? I work from home doing IT so I was back to work in 5 days (including weekend). Driving was another story, it might take 3-4 weeks before you are cleared to drive again.

You should see a physical therapist post op regain ROM and strength in the affected tissues. Get recommendations, and shop around if you can, a good PT is worth their weight in goal, bad PTs are a total waste of time.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Do NOT take your rehab protocol from the trainers at your affiliate unless they are a PT, DC, MD. It doesn't matter that they once trained someone that had shoulder surgery before.

We have a guy 2 months out of surgery for a torn labrum and biceps tendon starting to swing a 6kg KB. Everyone is different. There is ALOT of grip work you can do on the side of the repair, as well as KBS on the healthy side that will have benefits on the injured side too. Most importantly, find someone that actually knows what they are doing!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Laurel Andrews

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel Andrews View Post
hi, I'm very interested in crossfit though haven't started in earnest yet.
I have done 3 private cf coaching classes to learn the moves and the methodology, read the journal, and 'done my own thing' at home. I run and whitewater paddle too - but not seen any water for the past year really, due to shoulder injury. finally going to have arthroscopic surgery on it next Tues.
I have read so much about how this will hurt!!! Any advice on diet, supplements and exercises for pre and post surgery MUCH appreciated.
It's a 50% tear to the anterior supraspinatus. Thanks so much all. rate of recovery ? I took 2 weeks off of work in anticipation of op. I'm 43 y o female and I'd say pretty fit.Look forward to hearing back from you all! Have a super day.

Thanks guys, I work at a desk, but run at home - hard to keep shoulder still while running...doing a 1/2 marathon on Sat. and that will be it, until I get the green light from a PT, or my MD.
I have already booked my post-op appointment with a PT that I was referred to by an avid hiker/paddler. RE pain meds.. will ice stave off the need to down so much Tylenol and IB Profen? I would love it if foods stopped the pain..dreaming..
But pain killers do a real job on my 'digestive' abilities - I wondered about accupuncture for the pain. If it's 2 days of intense discomfort, i can tough it out, but I've read some pretty scarry 'high on the pain scale' posts for shoulder surgery that involves putting an anchor in your bone. Advice on foods to accelerate healing and pain management? Thanks very much. This time next week, I'll be likey nautious from being put under - then we'll see.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel Andrews View Post
Thanks guys, I work at a desk, but run at home - hard to keep shoulder still while running...doing a 1/2 marathon on Sat. and that will be it, until I get the green light from a PT, or my MD.
I have already booked my post-op appointment with a PT that I was referred to by an avid hiker/paddler. RE pain meds.. will ice stave off the need to down so much Tylenol and IB Profen? I would love it if foods stopped the pain..dreaming..
But pain killers do a real job on my 'digestive' abilities - I wondered about accupuncture for the pain. If it's 2 days of intense discomfort, i can tough it out, but I've read some pretty scarry 'high on the pain scale' posts for shoulder surgery that involves putting an anchor in your bone. Advice on foods to accelerate healing and pain management? Thanks very much. This time next week, I'll be likey nautious from being put under - then we'll see.
Just plan on no activity for a bit, as brian said, maybe some one armed work with the unaffected arm, and walking. I've been doing a lot of walk and dialing my nutrition in and I've never felt better.

As for pain meds, everyone is different, I had vicodans and was done with them in 3 days. I had three anchors put in the glenoid and 6 portals (cuts) in my shoulder. So long as I didn't do anything stupid (like try and move my shoulder) I wasn't in much pain at all. But again, I had SLAP tear, not a rotator tear so you milage may vary.

As for food, go for quality. Lots of quality meat (for protein) veggies, fruits and if you have GI problems, obviously stay away from grains or anything that might irritate that condition. Fish oil can help as it can help promote an anti-inflammatory state but I wouldn't use it as a pain killer.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Laurel Andrews

Profile:

Thanks Michael. I'll let you know how it all goes re pain. I appreciate so much - hearing from folks that have had shoulder work done.
Laurel
Old 11-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
Laurel Andrews

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
Just plan on no activity for a bit, as brian said, maybe some one armed work with the unaffected arm, and walking. I've been doing a lot of walk and dialing my nutrition in and I've never felt better.

As for pain meds, everyone is different, I had vicodans and was done with them in 3 days. I had three anchors put in the glenoid and 6 portals (cuts) in my shoulder. So long as I didn't do anything stupid (like try and move my shoulder) I wasn't in much pain at all. But again, I had SLAP tear, not a rotator tear so you milage may vary.

As for food, go for quality. Lots of quality meat (for protein) veggies, fruits and if you have GI problems, obviously stay away from grains or anything that might irritate that condition. Fish oil can help as it can help promote an anti-inflammatory state but I wouldn't use it as a pain killer.

Pretty sure I will be issued Tylenol 3 (codeine), and a form of Naproxen.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
Heather Dixon Campbell

Profile:

I will attempt to update this post tomorrow. I am very happy with my results.