CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
Inez Indriyani

Profile:
1 year post shoulder surgery , but....

Last year I had shoulder athroscopic surgery to fix my stretched labrum. Before surgery I had 5 subluxations which were caused by snatches, behind the neck wide grip push press, and snatch balances. The subluxation happened on the front of the shoulder. I didnt have to go through the surgery , I just had to avoid snatches/OHS/wide grip moves, but I wanted to keep doing crossfit hence the surgery.
Its been 14 months since my surgery and I did all the rehab and exercises by the book. I took it easy and did all the stretches and everything . It feels good. Feels better than the other 'healthy' shoulder. I have been working on the snatch as it has been my weak link, however I face another problem here. I cant seem to make myself go under the bar/load. I can power snatch 40 kg (90 lbs) but I can only full snatch 25 kg ( 70 lbs). The shoulder looks rolled forward. Basically I just **** myself everytime I am told to go under the bar. especially with weights im not familiar with.I do soo many stretches , ART, trigger point messages, PNF, but nothing seems to help. But that doesnt matter, the big issue here is im scared. Scared that I'm going to get hurt again and waste the surgery. I do oly lifts specializing on snatches almost everyday too. Any suggestions/advice? Im considering of gettiing a hypnosis to get over my fear/trauma. Everybody says its been a year, it should be strong but I just cant get my mind to be brave.Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Inez Indriyani : 11-06-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: 1 year post shoulder surgery , but....

You might try snatch balances. The same final position as a full snatch, but a less dynamic path to get there. Also overhead squats, for the same reason.

Katherine
Old 11-07-2011, 02:37 AM   #3
Inez Indriyani

Profile:

Thank you. I will get into more snatch balances to build more confidence.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Are you positive that everything in your shoulder is as good as it needs to be to perform a snatch? Shoulder mobility, scapular mobility, scapular stabilizer strength, rotator cuff strength, shoulder position, posture, etc? What you're explaining screams that something still isn't right - and you shouldn't be pushing through it. That's the fastest way to get right back in the O.R. You need to listen to your body. What is the snatch going to give you that other exercises won't in the meantime? I think that your focus on the snatch may be bordering unhelthy. You need to stop if it's hurting you on a regular basis and you need to continue working mobility and strengthening your serratus anterior, mid and low trapezius, rotator cuff and you need to make sure you have proper teres major, lat, pec major, pec minor, and posterior capsule length.

Also, I may be the first to tell you this, but you need to continue doing key exercises pretty much for the rest of your life. I don't know if you're keeping up with the rotator cuff strength work or scapular stabilizer work, but you need to do that. Whether you work that into your CF workouts or not is up your preference.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Michael Dries

Profile:

Brent is dead on. I'm recovering from a slap repair right now and it's going to be a long time until I have the mobility and ROM required to externally rotate over head.

You say "the shoulder looks rolled forward." Has this been confirmed by a third party? You NEED full external rotation in the snatch. As Coach B would say "show me your arm pits." Internally rotating over head is a great way to rip that labrum again. This exact detail was posted on crossfit.com on friday november 4th, 2011.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
Brent is dead on. I'm recovering from a slap repair right now and it's going to be a long time until I have the mobility and ROM required to externally rotate over head.

You say "the shoulder looks rolled forward." Has this been confirmed by a third party? You NEED full external rotation in the snatch. As Coach B would say "show me your arm pits." Internally rotating over head is a great way to rip that labrum again. This exact detail was posted on crossfit.com on friday november 4th, 2011.
I forgot to address that: if the shoulder looks rolled forward, it can be caused by two things: tight pec minor/serratus anterior leading to a protracted scapula OR tight pec major/weak posterior rotator cuff allowing the humeral head to displace forward. Or it could be both. That's something that 100% needs to be remedied before doing any shoulder work, let alone overhead work.

If you're still seeing or can talk to your physical therapist, ask about this. It's something you gotta fix to continue CF without destroying your shoulder again.