CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Jeremy Brassard

Profile:
Jumpers knee

So I have tendonitis in both of my pattellar tendons. Anyone have any tips for getting past this? Its very aggrevating.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
Matt Heriot

Profile:
Re: Jumpers knee

A little more info will help. Where exactly is the pain? How long have you had it? What have you done to fix so far?
Old 10-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Heriot View Post
A little more info will help. Where exactly is the pain? How long have you had it? What have you done to fix so far?
Yeah, you're being really vague. Ideally, you'd see someone like a physical therapist about it who could assess your limitations and address them with mobilizations, stretching, strengthening, cross-friction massage, taping, etc.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
Scott Tredennick

Profile:

Don't skimp on a physical therapist if you can help it. As K-star would say look upstream and downstream. Stretch and roll out calves, hamstrings, quads, hips. Check mobilitywod.com (WFS) for specific mobilization exercises.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:33 AM   #5
Andrew Craig

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Brassard View Post
So I have tendonitis in both of my pattellar tendons. Anyone have any tips for getting past this? Its very aggrevating.
Don't jump. Do not run or sprint. Don't skip. No box jumps or plyometric work.

Try not to squat below parallel.

Not sure how long you have had it but you should be working on eccentric movements like resistance bands squats, eccentric pistols and stabilization work. You will need to check what muscles around the joint are weak and which are compensating and then work to build these up. From experience with a few runners that have come to us you will need to build up Vastus Med but this may be different for you. Work on end range leg extension and if you don't have leg extension machine then externally rotated end range step ups can help.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Joe Bernard

Profile:

I have a mild sprain in my patellar tendon on the medial side (doc still calls it patellar tendonitis) in my left knee and I learned last week that it's because I overpronate way too much on my left foot. My PT and a random worker at a shoe store both said that getting orthotics and/or shoes with arch support will greatly help and will most likely completely eliminate the pain over time since the knee is no longer being pulled inward. And I just got a pair of Inovs f-lite 230s which have zero arch support, great....hah. So check out if you pronate or supinate.

If you find out that it's because of your feet, go to a running store and ask them for shoes with good support. My PT recommended Brooks, Asics, or Mizuno.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Jon Thomas

Profile:

I have the same issue with both of my knees. A little RICE treatment and completely overhauling my squat form has done wonders for me: now my knees don't hurt when I have them in the same position for extended periods of time. Stretch extensively calves, quads, hamstrings, and hip.

I would argue that you SHOULD squat below parallel, just with proper form. I'm not a medical professional, but decreasing range of motion because you have an injury to me seems like it not only encourages bad form and half-assedness in the gym, but also could potentially cause more muscle tightening (therefore pain upstream & downstream) and net strength loss in the correct position at the bottom of the squat.