CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Joshua Duntz

Profile:
New need some advice please!

I will start with some back round information on myself since that seems necessary for you all to help me with my questions. I am 21 years old 6'1 and weigh 180 pounds.

Stats:
Bench - 195 5RM
Squat - 190 5RM
DL - 265 5RM
PC - Most ive done is 5 sets 3 reps at 145
Press - Around 115 5RM

My overall long term goal is to one day compete in the Games. ( yes your probably laughing because of my stats, but ive only been working out for about 6 months ).

My question is this; should I continue to workout on my own and mainly just try to build as much strength as I can, but not have any coaching as far as the Oly lifts and skill sets, and hope that once the strength is there that I will be able to pick up those things quickly? Or since this is a long term goal of mine ( 5 years at least ) join a Crossfit gym and train as hard as I can and after such a long time the strength will be there as well as the skill sets?

Any advice is appreciated Thanks
Old 07-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: New need some advice please!

Fastest way to get strong in your situation is a linear progression program like Starting Strength, Grey Skull LP or 70's Big (also know as Simple Strength & Conditioning Program).

3 to 6 months of LP with lots and lots of high quality food should boost those lifts enough that working out in a CrossFit box will be the next step towards your goal.

You can get strong on CrossFit alone but this way is much faster.

You are going to want to put on between 15 to 25 lbs of lean muscle. Think 195 to 205, maybe more on a 6'1" frame. At 5'11" it looks like 185 to 187 will be the best weight for me to compete.

I did a year of CrossFit then did the dedicate strength work. I went from a very low body fat 178 to a slightly softer 192ish. My back squat went from 225x5 to 305x5. Did Helen the other day (5x 400m run & 15 OHS #95) the OHS were best I've ever done inside a WOD. My run has suffered a little but I will build that back up in the fall when the temperature is reasonable again. It has helped my CrossFitting tremendously. I started with SS and moved to SS&CP.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
Mike Wazowski

Profile:

You will not pick up skills 'quickly'. Olympic lifts, for example, require years of practice. Learn skills and proper technique first, it is much easier and faster to build strength then to master proper technique. Learn Olympic lifts from Olympic lifters, gymnastics skills from gymnasts.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
Joshua Duntz

Profile:

Brenden - Thanks for the response. So basically your saying that you think I should have a strong strength base before I even join a box, even though this is such a long term goal? Would it not be beneficial to start working on the other aspects of crossfit ( kipping pull ups , ring work, stuff like that ) while still gaining strength? I understand that purely doing a strength program is going to be the fastest way to gain strength, but is it the best option for the long run?
Old 07-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Buy the Starting Strength book and DVD--the fact that you bench more than you squat indicates a lack of experience with squatting, so you want to learn to squat (and do all the other basic lifts) correctly from the beginning. Read/watch them thoroughly then start posting videos of your squats/deads/presses on here for critique.

Then start up with something like GSLP or 70s Big S&C and do some CF-style conditioning workouts a few times a week. You can work skills like kipping or muscleups or lightweight Oly work on your rest days as long as you don't go too hard. But building a base of strength from the start will benefit you a lot in the long run.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Duntz View Post
Brenden - Thanks for the response. So basically your saying that you think I should have a strong strength base before I even join a box, even though this is such a long term goal? Would it not be beneficial to start working on the other aspects of CrossFit ( kipping pull ups , ring work, stuff like that ) while still gaining strength? I understand that purely doing a strength program is going to be the fastest way to gain strength, but is it the best option for the long run?
It depends. I own a small affiliate and would happily work with someone who wanted to run a linear progression strength program plus some CrossFit. A lot of affiliates are not set up well to handle someone doing significantly different programing.

Speaking from my personal experience in a situation where someone wants to take a shoot at competing there is so much work to do they need to be efficient about their development. The fastest way to get strong is linear progression. You are going to need this strength quickly (these numbers may not be exactly right but it gives you an idea how far you have to go):

Squat 300+ 5RM
Dead Lift 350+ 5RM
Bench 225+ 5RM
Press 145+ 5RM
Power Clean 225+ 3RM

These numbers won't get you into regionals, they will get you strong enough to start training for regionals.

The good news is if you are willing to follow a LP program, eat like you are on a mission and get 8 hours of sleep every night at your age this is doable in 6 months. It really is amazing the gains I have made and I'm 43. I don't have the advantage you have of all that natural testosterone in my system. Young is good for strength development.

If you join a box that doesn't allow you to do linear progression strength work it could take 2 or 3 years to develop that kind of strength. From my point of view doing 6 months of LP first then 1.5 to 2.5 years of hard core CrossFit at Rx'd or better weighs will develop you farther and faster.

This advise is strictly for someone who wants to try to make Regionals. If you just want to get in shape join a box (or group working out together from someones garage) right away. People learn everything best in groups.

Pull-ups, weighted chin-ups, dips, ring dips, handstand push-ups, sit-ups, weighted GHD sit-ups, weighted back extensions are all part of the accessory work I do on a rotating basis. Something like double unders can be practiced as part of your warm up before lifting.

Linear progression is about lifting heavy and allowing adequate rest and recovery because you are putting high demands on your body. Traditional CrossFit programming can interfere with the recovery process preventing adding weight each week.

Check out 70's Big (SS&CP). I think you will like that program because it allows for some met-con work. Not quite as fast as Starting Strength but I like the conditioning aspect. I like met-cons.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
Joshua Duntz

Profile:

Thanks again, makes sense everything your saying. I think I will start off with SS for 12 weeks since I have the book and have been working that a little first and see where that takes me. As far as diet should I be eating pretty clean just bigger portions and more often? I know I should be getting at least a gram of protein per pound BW.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks again, makes sense everything your saying. I think I will start off with SS for 12 weeks since I have the book and have been working that a little first and see where that takes me. As far as diet should I be eating pretty clean just bigger portions and more often? I know I should be getting at least a gram of protein per pound BW.
You'll need more than that. 4000+ calories a day at the minimum, and probably more like 5000 if you want to gain weight and keep getting stronger. About 250g of carbs, 250g of protein, and 250g of fat a day will get you in the ballpark of 4500 calories. Adjust from there.

This may or may not bear repeating for you...but if you're going to do SS, do SS. Don't do "SS plus a few metcons" or "SS plus two 3-mile jogs a week." Do the program as it's written. If you feel like you need to do some conditioning, switch to one of the similar linear progressions with lower lifting volume (70s Big, GSLP, etc.) which will allow you to recover from the lifting while still doing conditioning.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
Joshua Duntz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
You'll need more than that. 4000+ calories a day at the minimum, and probably more like 5000 if you want to gain weight and keep getting stronger. About 250g of carbs, 250g of protein, and 250g of fat a day will get you in the ballpark of 4500 calories. Adjust from there.

This may or may not bear repeating for you...but if you're going to do SS, do SS. Don't do "SS plus a few metcons" or "SS plus two 3-mile jogs a week." Do the program as it's written. If you feel like you need to do some conditioning, switch to one of the similar linear progressions with lower lifting volume (70s Big, GSLP, etc.) which will allow you to recover from the lifting while still doing conditioning.
Should I be trying to get all my carbs from veggies and fruit or just eat anything as long as I am getting in the calories? And thanks I understand about the metcon thing while doing a Strength program. I will be sticking strictly to the SS program.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Should I be trying to get all my carbs from veggies and fruit or just eat anything as long as I am getting in the calories? And thanks I understand about the metcon thing while doing a Strength program. I will be sticking strictly to the SS program.
You'll have a hard time getting 250g a day from fruits and vegetables alone. Add in some stuff like sweet potatoes or oats....no, oats aren't Paleo, but they don't have gluten so they're not a bad choice for dense carbs.