CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
Bill Simon

Profile:
Pre Morning CrossFit

I wakeup at 6am and do crossfit at 7am. My main goal right now is to lose fat, I have a lot left (38-40% body fat percentage).

I am capable of doing very low carbs. I've been reading up about carb cycling though and wondering if that would be better for me, since I do CrossFit 3 days a week.

My main question is, what should I eat in the hour I have between waking up and doing CrossFit. Is a Banana a good idea?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Pre Morning CrossFit

I would go with a little bit of protein and fat rather than just straight carbs. Or just work out fasted, lots of people have success with that approach.

Honestly, at 38% BF you don't need to overthink stuff like carb cycling to see quick and lasting results....just work out regularly, drink plenty of water, sleep enough, take rest days when you need them, get plenty of good protein and fats and vegetables, and don't eat anything processed or with added sugar and you'll be fine.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
Mandie Ekstrom

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Simon View Post
I wakeup at 6am and do crossfit at 7am. My main goal right now is to lose fat, I have a lot left (38-40% body fat percentage).

I am capable of doing very low carbs. I've been reading up about carb cycling though and wondering if that would be better for me, since I do CrossFit 3 days a week.

My main question is, what should I eat in the hour I have between waking up and doing CrossFit. Is a Banana a good idea?
I was kind of wondering the same thing. I need to eat something before the morning WOD becase otherwise I get pretty light headed. I am hydrated and it only happens in the mornings so I must need to eat something.

I would prefer to WOD fasted, but I need to find something very light and Paleo. Maybe 1/2 orange and a few almonds?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

A couple pieces of fruit is what I would do(banana, blueberries, etc..). I prefer faster digesting foods before a training session to prevent any stomach discomfort.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I would go with a little bit of protein and fat rather than just straight carbs. Or just work out fasted, lots of people have success with that approach.

Honestly, at 38% BF you don't need to overthink stuff like carb cycling to see quick and lasting results....just work out regularly, drink plenty of water, sleep enough, take rest days when you need them, get plenty of good protein and fats and vegetables, and don't eat anything processed or with added sugar and you'll be fine.

yes that.

didn't we already go over all this in the BF thread?

anyway, a protien shake or a few eggs with a piece of fruit and a cup of green tea or coffee and your workouts will be awesome and your metabolism will be better too. then get some protien again immediately (within 20 minutes) of finishing your workout. this will help you burn fat as well as get the most benefit from your workout
Old 07-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
Bill Simon

Profile:

I don't understand what my goals should be with regards to carbs in relation with workout days @ Crossfit. My main goal is to drop my 40% Body Fat percentage, as such I'm on a very low carb Paleo diet (sub 50 grams). Should this be slightly different on workout days? I keep reading different things and am very confused.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

whatever you do, include some protein. doesn't have to be a lot. you just want some amino acids circulating while you are working out. even authorities in fasted training suggest taking in some sort of amino acid supplement or a little protein powder. could also be an egg or a little piece of meat. aside from that, a little fruit and or nuts should be good. just keep it light and have it right when you wake up so it has a little time to digest and you dont puke during your workout.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Very low carb is not necessary to lose bodyfat, particularly if you're starting at 40%. It may help, but it's not going to do you many favors in terms of getting stronger/faster.

Carbs are necessary for muscle glycogen, which is the primary fuel source for any high-intensity activities beyond about 20 seconds. Your body can produce some glycogen on its own, but you'll still need more than 50g a day for optimal performance.

If you are going to go very low, make sure to get at least 30-40 of those grams right after your workout to speed up recovery.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Simon View Post
I don't understand what my goals should be with regards to carbs in relation with workout days @ Crossfit. My main goal is to drop my 40% Body Fat percentage, as such I'm on a very low carb Paleo diet (sub 50 grams). Should this be slightly different on workout days? I keep reading different things and am very confused.
there are lots of different opinions on this so it is hard to give you a definite answer. just eating clean should drop you down from your 40% a good bit, regardless of macro ratios. in my opinion, i would spread the majority of my carbs around workout time (pre and post) and the rest of the day have carbs that are less dense (broccoli etc.) with more cals from protein and fat. regardless, don't stress about it. if you want a starchier carb later in the day or whatever please go for it. as long as you are eating whole foods, you're good.

edit: i should type faster.

Last edited by Jordan K Smith : 07-03-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: i should type faster
Old 07-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Bill- there's a different approach that will work for just about everybody.

Pick a healthy eating plan that you can stick with, excercise, rest, repeat. Give whichever plan you pick at least 30 if not 60 days then reevaluate based on progress or a lack there of.

My pre WOD meal on AM work out days is a cup of coffee. Post WOD is a protein shake mixed with goat milk.