CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Jason Galvan

Profile:
swimming drag suits.....

y'ello!!

Yes, yes. Been away for awhile...

Anywho, I have been adding swimming to my routine lately and now, of course, want to make it just a bit more difficult.

SO! Can any swimmers out there recommend some long sleeve drag shirts and some drag short options??

Finis, which is the only brand of long sleeve shirt carried at that shop I went to, looks good as well as their shorts.

I like options and, even more than options, I like feedback from those with experience. Thanks in advance for all your opinions!

NOW! ...off to swim.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
Quinn Walkley

Profile:
Re: swimming drag suits.....

I was a DI swimmer and we never used shirts for extra drag. As for suits, speedo makes drag suits that hold up really well if you pay the extra money and get the ones that are made of jersey material (the ones like a football jersey that have the little holes in them). Other than that you can get a bigger one for more drag.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
Mike Watson

Profile:

Flight suit
Old 02-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #4
Leon Jenkins

Profile:

If you are a beginner swimmers, forget about drag suits. More than likely your body position will create enough drag as it is. You should fine tune your stroke, so you reduce the chance of an injury before getting into the drag suit area.

If you are more advanced swimmer, drag suits on top of regular suit are widely used. If you are going to swim only like 50m in your workout then the drag/mesh shirt might be a good way to get the most resistance or you can swim with a parachute.

that said, you can do a lot to introduce drag/resistance into your stroke without adding any clothing on you. For example: water polo freestyle swim with head up.

To learn more about drag in the water, check this out http://blog.swimator.com/2011/02/is-...w-do-drag.html
Old 03-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
Justin Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Jenkins View Post
If you are a beginner swimmers, forget about drag suits. More than likely your body position will create enough drag as it is. You should fine tune your stroke, so you reduce the chance of an injury before getting into the drag suit area.

If you are more advanced swimmer, drag suits on top of regular suit are widely used. If you are going to swim only like 50m in your workout then the drag/mesh shirt might be a good way to get the most resistance or you can swim with a parachute.
What he said...

I was a competitive swimmer for 16 years at the national level as well as a coach. I never used more than a drag suit, or occasionally a parachute for very short sprint work. The reason is too much drag starts messing with your stroke. Swimming a lot with a poor stroke and then introducing drag can/will eventually injure you. If you are looking to improve your strength through swimming you should look elsewhere. If you take a look at most of the worlds top swimmers they are very lean and not bulky at all. You don't get bulky or even build that much muscle swimming (swimmers do it with weight training).

If you are just looking to make your workouts harder there are several things you can do. Increase distance, increase intensity, decrease rest or a combination of them. Hope this helps.