CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-23-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
Joshua Pashley

Profile:
Pull up Rack

Hey everyone! I've decided to build a pull station so to speak at my house.
What it is, is a frame that I'll concrete into the ground. Anyways I was just wondering is it a good idea to powder coat them or just polish them either way I want grip but not rips ha.

And another thing what is the demensions for the steel to actually grab on to in centimeters. I would like a nice thick grip not a little skinny pansy piece of steel.

Anyways thanks to anyone that responds.
Yours thankfully,
Josh Pashley
Old 03-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
Christopher Paulson

Profile:
Re: Pull up Rack

Either way you'll need to wrap the bar itself. Metal on skin sucks. A strictly metal bar doesnt provide **** for grip. We use medical tape here cause its all we have out here, but it works.

I'm sure you'll be able to find something better though.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

Its comes down to personal preference, but I actually disagree with Christopher about wrapping the pull up bar. In my experience (marine corps veteran and cross fitter, so have done thousands of pull ups on all kinds of different bars) tape is a pain. It tears and peels and leaves the bar sticky with adhesive. I'd much rather have a nice smooth bare metal bar to do pull ups on.

Bar size is typically between 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" outer diameter. The thicker the bar the more it taxes your grip strength...
Old 03-26-2011, 05:25 AM   #4
Christopher Paulson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Maddox View Post
Its comes down to personal preference, but I actually disagree with Christopher about wrapping the pull up bar. In my experience (marine corps veteran and cross fitter, so have done thousands of pull ups on all kinds of different bars) tape is a pain. It tears and peels and leaves the bar sticky with adhesive. I'd much rather have a nice smooth bare metal bar to do pull ups on.

Bar size is typically between 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" outer diameter. The thicker the bar the more it taxes your grip strength...
I dunno. Every time I've done pull ups on an unwrapped bar my hands slide which is problematic. I'd rather have my hands be a bit torn up than have them slipping all over the place. Once your hands are sweaty and the bar gets wet....good bye grip. That and grabbing a bare metal bar that's been sitting in the Afghan sun isn't wise. User preference I suppose. My time in the Corps has told me to never trust an unwrapped bar.

But I concur with the diameter of the bar. The bigger the bar - the harder it is to grip.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:31 AM   #5
Shane Scott

Profile:

I used to tape my bar, but quit doing so after reading a post on here. Now I just use a bare bar and lots of chalk. My hands no longer rip. You can try both and see which you like best as tape is cheap to buy and easy to remove.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

I've never ripped my hands on an unwrapped bar.

Plenty of chalk and a bar that is small enough in diameter to comfortably use a thumbs around grip.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
Christopher Paulson

Profile:

I havent ripped my hand on an unwrapped bar either, but I've also never had chalk for pullups though. With a smaller bar one might be able to get away with just chalk, but I really think that tape will be needed for a thicker-than-average bar like OP is looking for.

Again, just my opinion.

OP, you should see if chalk will work. If it doesnt, you can just clean it off and then opt for the tape. You don't have to worry about trying to scrape off any tape residue if it doesn't work for you. Easy day.

As for diameter, I would imagine getting something thicker than a standard oly bar would be perfect. After pulling on the thicker pull-up bar, gripping the oly bar will seem much easier.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Just another opinion here.

Taped bars rip the crap out of my hands.

Chalk on an untaped bar works pretty well for me.

If you want you could tape it using padded tape. Like the kind they use on tennis rackets? They sell it at sports stores. Could be the best of both worlds. Might get kind of pricey though depending on how long your bar is.

On diameter I would say preference. I personally love doing pull ups on thicker bars in the 2" plus range. Not sure what that is in SM off the top of my head. But skinnier bars work fine too. I don't think thick bars are any tougher on the grip either as long as your hands don't slip. I really think it's just personal preference.

Last edited by Matt Thomas : 03-26-2011 at 04:06 PM.