CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
Jay Lalik

Profile:
Paleo / Ship Life / General ?s

Hello everyone. I am one of the leaders of the Crossfit / Vibram toeshoes cult aboard my ship.

I am on a Navy ship and, well, it is one of the most unhealthy places to live / work. That being said, I do my absolute best to stay in shape.

GOALS - To be in the best shape I can be. I want to do some adventure racing when I get out of the Navy next year. I want to eventually get to the crossfit games.

I started a modified paleo diet on March 1 and I have seen great results. I do the best I can with the food I have. I don't miss dairy or fat snacks. I am not interested in doing paleo for the sake of it, just for the benefits.

DIET - Eggs and fruit in the morning, lunch/dinner/between meal watch food - as much veggies and lean meat as I can get. I put olive oil on what ammounts to a salad (usually red/green peppers, carrots, radishes, tomatoes, black and green olives, are available). I probably eat more fruits than you recommend because fruit outnumbers veggies by a huge ammount on board. I consume NO condiments save for mustard and occasional tabasco and put no salt on my food.

Crossfit - I do a crossfit workout 6 days a week. I pick a random one because compuer time is not convienent everyday to see the WOD, nor is the gym always available. Sometimes I will do 2 a days, the second workout is usually some core work and some crossfit practice moves (working on handstand pushups, muscle ups, etc). I do almost NO cardio now. I just put out at crossfit.

Fitness Level - 30 years old 5'11" 180, pretty cut. To give you some idea I did the WOD (forgot name) of AMRAP in 12 min of 225 Squat (5 reps) + 185 Bench (3 reps) = 12 rounds plus 3 bench.

I do well at all general crossfit exercises - handstand pushups, pullups, etc. I am a decent short distance runner - 6 min mile pace for quite a few miles when I do run.

I do have a few important questions.

1. Paleo discrepencies - What is the deal with BACON and COCONUT OIL? I read "Paleo Diet for Atheletes" (endurance atheletes is more like it) and in the genaral paleo knowledge I don't recall bacon or coconut oil being recommended but many of you consume it (I have seen lard recommended on ************* also). Any other recommendations?

2. Supplements - I plan on buying fish oil supplements to get my long chain Omega 3s. I take a multi vitiman now and whey protein. Is there anything that can HELP replace the lack of green leafy vegetables on board (it is pathetic)? GNC is my only option.

3. Starches. The crossfit recommendation of "eat little starch" is vague. What does that mean? (I really miss old fashioned oatmeal). I don't want to follow the Paleo for Atheletes starch recommendation because I am not doing cardio on the ship nor am I an endurance athelete. I don't want to not be eating something I should though.

4. Nuts and Seeds - Walnuts are on my shopping list (best Omega 6 to 3 ratio) along with some almonds. I get confused though on what is a good seed to eat and what is good to avoid.

5. Shopping List - besides the fish oil and nuts I was looking into Lara Bars for an after workout snack. Also, canned yams to get some starch (we NEVER are served any starch besides white rice, white potatos, or pasta).

6. Muscle Milk? (It would make a convienent between watch snack.)

Thank you for the help with my random questions.

Jay
Old 03-20-2011, 03:04 AM   #2
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: Paleo / Ship Life / General ?s

1. Bacon should be eaten by everyone. I don't care what the Paleo books say. Eat your bacon.

2. Do the best you can.

3. According to the Paleo gods you're not supposed to eat oatmeal and the million other starches that are out there. If you're happy with your body comp then eating oatmeal will not kill you.

4. Walnuts, Pecans and then Almonds.

5. There are better things you can eat post workout out but larabars aren't that bad. I eat them all the time and haven't had any problems with body comp or performance.

6. MM isn't Paleo, but if you need to supplement to get more protein then go for it. Just watch the sugar intake.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
Dave Mahoney

Profile:

Advice for ship: Stock up on some Sardines. They last forever and can also be an outstanding source of vitamin D. They also can help livening up the salad.

Take vitamin D. If you stand watch in CIC or the pit you do not seen the sun enough. I know I have sometimes gone days without seeing. Start with 5000IU and consider increasing if you don't get outside.

Bacon: Load Up

Have you tried Carlsons Fish oil? It has a bit of lemon flavor and goes well on salads.

Starches consider sweet potatoes or yams (i know not existent on the ship).

As for a good watch snack I would get some coconut milk. It comes in a can so you can buy a bunch and then mix in some protein powder.

I would be carful if you are doing crossfit six days a week it can quickly lead to overtraining.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Thom Knapp

Profile:

Currently on deployment and dealing with some of the same issues. I know storage space is limited, but if possible, load up on a bunch of canned protein... tuna, salmon, sardines. It sounds like you brought some olive oil with you, that is my primary source of fat.

1. Eat your bacon...

2. Eat a huge a$$ "salad" at every meal. I know the pickings can be slim, but everything helps.

3. I keep pureed sweet potatoe baby food on board and use it PWO along with a whey protein shake.

5. see above.

6. Whole food is your best option, but I know you are limited. I load up on canned tuna and salmon (from TJ's, with no salt added) and use that in between meals and as a meal when all they have is breaded meat. If you can't do whole food, there are much better protein sources out there than Muscle Milk. GNC sells Optimum Nurtrition 100% Whey, that is what I am currently using. You can also order it in 10lb bags off ebay... not sure if they ship to FPO's though.

I also take Vit D as a supplement, 5000 DU's, I see the sun about once a week, so it is essential. I also brought a bunch of fish oil with me. I have access to a fridge so I brought the Braleans liquid, but gel tabs might be easier to store.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #5
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I don't know what the deal is with ship life. How often are you able to restock supplies? Thom mentioned pureed sweet potato baby food - you can buy regular size cans on Amazon (or at Whole Foods or Wegman's but I'm sure it's easier to order online?) in bulk. They work great as a carb source and mix really well with the vanilla ice cream flavored Optimum Nutrition whey.