CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-15-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
David Aguasca

Profile:
This has been bothering me for some time now...i want to understand the reasoning for the squat stance in Starting Strength being shoulder width. i understand that the adductors need to be proper stretched, etc, but shouldn't squat stance be set according to hip width, and not shoulder width?

if a man with narrow hips and wide shoulders takes a shoulder-width stance, he'd be approaching a sumo-stance PL squat.

if a woman with wide hips and narrow shoulders does the same, she'd be taking too narow a stance, and would have problems loading her adductors and getting proper depth due to thigh-torso clearance.

please, enlighten me!
Old 12-16-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
David,
I am guessing that the stance should be slightly wider than hip width hence saying shoulder width will get you pretty close.

In my mind when there is instruction on things like foot placement it is just a place to start. Then you would vary it depending on the persons.

My foot placement varies considerably depending on the movement FS narrow, low BS wide, OHS in between. I will sometimes however change my foot placement such as doing narrow stance BS with less load

No matter what stance the knees should track with the foot angle.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
David Aguasca

Profile:
that makes sense, but again, anthropometric differences would change that, right? back angle, finishing position, and bar racking in the squat are addressed in Starting Strength with anthropometric differences in mind, but stance width is not...

i guess as long as the thighs track in line with the foot angle, proper depth is reached, and the back arch is maintained, it doesn't matter much?
Old 12-16-2006, 10:43 AM   #4

Profile:

Rippetoe is a sharp dude--cues such as 'shoulder-width' I imagine are used more for the sake of simplicity than accuracy because yes, leg and hip size and size ratios will determine a proper squat stance, not the width of the shoulders. Were Rippetoe working with a lifter one-on-one, I'm sure his stance instruction would be more detailed.

More on squat stance, although very specifically for the Olympic squat:
http://www.performancemenu.com/short...ty&shortyID=20