CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Jason Panicaro

Profile:
WOD Question

I wanted to post this and hopefully I dont get beat down with this post. I have been doing CF for about a month now. I typically do not follow the online WOD unless I have the proper equipment to either do it 100% or at least substitute 100%. I foyu look at my garage gym thread you will see the equipment I have. Instead of doing the posted WOD, I typically do old WOD's from previous months or years. Or I have found WOD's from various affiliates that I have the equipment to do. Is this still good or is this less than ideal? I want to get max results from the equipment I have right now. My wife and I both do crossfit and have both seen results, I dont have the money for us to attend a box, as the ones around here are very expensive especially for 2 people to attend. Thanks guys.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: WOD Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Panicaro View Post
I want to get max results from the equipment I have right now. My wife and I both do crossfit and have both seen results...
There are no rules to this. Do what gets you your desired results. The WOD on MP is just one of many suggestions.

- Mark
Old 10-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
There are no rules to this. Do what gets you your desired results. The WOD on MP is just one of many suggestions.

- Mark
Thanks Mark, appreciate it.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Jack Mountstephen

Profile:

It seems as long as the intensity is right up there, the movements are varied and the results keep coming , looks like its a tick in every box.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #5
Michael Holmes

Profile:

Doing anything more than nothing will get results, it just depends how far and how hard you want to push. I think the only danger with cherrypicking your WODs from here, there and everywhere is that you only pick what you like, what you're good at or what you have the equipment for. This could lead to you becoming very good at some stuff but hopeless at others which would limit your fitness if you consider the 10 aspects of fitness and the quest to build capacity across a broad range of skills.
For example if you don't have the equipment or the inclination to do double unders then you miss out on a lot of speed and co-ordination work which can't really be replicated by anything else. Or if you neglect to do any Olympic lifting you'd miss out on turning strength into speed and building power and you might just become big, strong and slow.
These are obviously worst case scenarios.
Well done though for sorting out your own space and pushing yourself to achieve with fewer resources than some other people.
There is a CF box, Crossfit Extreme Fitness, I believe that programs a regular WOD and a travelling WOD that requires no equipment. I suppose that could be mashed up with a strength program
Old 12-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
Garrett Groesbeck

Profile:

What do you guys use as subs for double unders and hand stand push ups?
Old 12-19-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Holmes View Post
Doing anything more than nothing will get results, it just depends how far and how hard you want to push. I think the only danger with cherrypicking your WODs from here, there and everywhere is that you only pick what you like, what you're good at or what you have the equipment for. This could lead to you becoming very good at some stuff but hopeless at others which would limit your fitness if you consider the 10 aspects of fitness and the quest to build capacity across a broad range of skills.
For example if you don't have the equipment or the inclination to do double unders then you miss out on a lot of speed and co-ordination work which can't really be replicated by anything else. Or if you neglect to do any Olympic lifting you'd miss out on turning strength into speed and building power and you might just become big, strong and slow.
These are obviously worst case scenarios.
Well done though for sorting out your own space and pushing yourself to achieve with fewer resources than some other people.
There is a CF box, Crossfit Extreme Fitness, I believe that programs a regular WOD and a travelling WOD that requires no equipment. I suppose that could be mashed up with a strength program
True , but then you have to follow a particular site and their programming? I like to go between certain affiliates more for variety not with the intention of cherry picking.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

Hey guys just wanted to revive this thread really quick. One of the biggest downfalls to my current garage gym is the lack of free weights. They are expensive and I dont have the mats or the area for lifting and being able to drop weight and not have my neighbors complain (which has already happened with slamballs lol) I live in a townhouse community. MY main question is if I stick to what Im doing will I still build strength? My plan is that once we move I will either buy the free weights necessary for proper training or I will join a golobo and hopefully be able to do SS there. Any tips would be great.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #9
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:

Jason

Do you have any kettlebells? There are tons of things you can do with a set of KBs to get very strong and with no noise w dropping weights. One of the best things to utilize with your living situation I would think.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:22 AM   #10
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Parton View Post
Jason

Do you have any kettlebells? There are tons of things you can do with a set of KBs to get very strong and with no noise w dropping weights. One of the best things to utilize with your living situation I would think.
I dont have actual kettlebells. We have made a few from one of the DIY things I found online. So in sense yes I do have them but I also dont trust them on certain movements. For swings and that type of thing they are fine. My next big purchase will be kettlebells.