CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-20-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I have to admit, I just didn't get the draw of kettlebells. I bought three to round out my gym, but never really did anything more than prescribed by the WOD. Fast forward to the last Crossfit Certification and Jeff Martone's H2H presentation. Jeff gets up and starts presenting and I lean over to Eugene (who is typing away on his laptop) and say "I don't get it, looks cool and all but I'm not really into the whole KB thing." Eugene pauses typing for 5 seconds and says, "I love em' use them all the time and I really like the H2H stuff." Well I always listen to people who are smarter then me, so I pay real close attention. For details check out Eugene's excellent seminar notes. I get home and start the around the body pass with a 1 pood. Go to the figure 8, and start flipping the thing. This is addictive, as a matter of fact it is now a staple of my warm-up. Today, during the pull-up workout...I noticed an increase in grip strength! If you haven't given the H2H stuff a shot yet, try it, it's a lot of fun. Next step for me,the behind the back flip (make sure your insurance is up to date).
Old 03-20-2006, 04:32 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
What, you're not doing it with your eyes closed? PSH!

Yeah, Jeff's presentation was great, though I have to admit my favorite part was watching Ashley from Crossfit Virginia (Represent!) keeping up with everybody while using the big kettlebell (I'm not sure if it was the 52 or 70lb...but I know I couldn't have done anywhere near as well with it!)
Old 03-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
Tom Brose

Profile:
"though I have to admit my favorite part was watching Ashley from Crossfit Virginia"

Uh huh, Cause she was using the 53 Lber. Sure.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
Russ Greene

Profile:

So yeah, Tom, when are we going to Crossfit Virginia to meet Ashley, ummm I mean work out?
Old 03-20-2006, 07:27 PM   #5
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Hehe, haven't we already had this discussion, Tom? ;)
Old 03-20-2006, 10:00 PM   #6
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
You better watch out Larry, because the more you use them, the more fun you'll have. You'll find them more challenging to control, and there will be a lot of variations of manuevers. I know Eugene bought Steve Cotter's Encyclopedia of KB exercises, so he knows there are tons of variations of every move. I've had many CFers attend my KB workshops, and they were blown away by all the different things you can do. They have told me that they've been "doing KBs for years with CF" which translates to "I've done a lot of swings". But after my seminar, they finally "get" KBs, and how to use them for whatever their goals are. You CAN emphasize explosiveness and power more than endurance, just by changing your stance and how you set your hips and how you pull, etc. I plan on coming to the Cert again in May and hopefully I can get some time to pass stuff along to the entire group, not just a few.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:49 PM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I am not smarter than Larry and worse than that I can't swing a stick as well. He did some beautiful gymnastics at the February cert can press up into a handstand like a 95 pound gymnast and he can do a muscle up. However, that very conversation did take place exactly as described right down to the quote.

Kettlebells rock. Try this: Do a two handed swing and let go at the top of the swing so the bell flips around. Catch the handle and go back down as if to swing again but instead do a sumo DL high pull - release the bell - catch it in a full squat by the bell as if doing a clean - stand up and push the bell into the air - catch it by the handle and start the swing over again. The squat and swing combo is great leg work and the tossing around of the bell keeps your mind occupied.

Jeff Martone has two H2H DVD's out and a third that puts the skills together in various combinations. Great stuff to have if you are interested in spicing up your KB work. As Tom mentioned Steve Cotter's DVD is an incredible resource for the incredible variety of things you can do with that cannoball with a handle. Girevoys love their sport and can think of little else they would rather do than show you how to toss those things around. Next time you see Tom ask him a question and you will get more info and variations than you will be able to remember. Take notes.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:54 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I would like to debate the superior explosiveness derived from the juggling of barbells over kettlebells...:lol:
Old 03-21-2006, 10:06 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Ya Tom, eyes and ears are open. Ironically, I'm going to a O-lifting Club Coach course the same weekend of the next seminar, so I won't see you there. Forgetting all of the benefits of the H2H stuff, it's worth doing just for the shocked reactions of friends and family...if they didn't think you were crazy before.... Really, this is not too dangerous, especially if done on sand or moist grass (preferably a neighbors). Usually the bell flies away from you. I did have it bounce off a stall mat and lightly graze my shin.