CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:29 AM   #1
John Mc Evoy

Profile:
Member is short short reping on WODs

So there is this guy at my affiliate and several people have mentioned to me that they suspected he was short reping sets or rounds to achieve faster times. I have had my suspicions for a while myself as well. I'm sure this is not the first place it has happened. I try my best to keep an eye on him but when there are a lot of people its hard. Last night I spotted him doing it on two exercises (one of them I got on film) but I don't know how to approach it.
Part of me just wants to pull him aside and talk to him in private but I don't think he will respond very well to it. Another part of me just wants to stand next to him in every WOD and count each rep out loud but then I will be neglecting others.
Any advice from people who have experienced similar things in their gym ???
Old 04-27-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
Krista Fudge

Profile:
Re: Member is short short reping on WODs

Pull the guy aside and talk to him about it. It may be uncomfortable for you and he may not recieve it well, but I think I'd rather lose a dishonest client than your honest, hard working clients that are being affected by it.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
John Mc Evoy

Profile:

well said,
what would you think about putting a post like this on the blog
"Hey guys, It's been brought to our attention that some people have been short-repping on exercises during some of the WODs. As trainers its pretty easy for us to recognize when these things are happening. It's understandable if you miss a rep every now and then as we know its difficult to keep track when the intensity levels are high. Having said that when it becomes a noticeable thing happening regularly then we need to nip it in the bud. If you have difficulty counting then let us know and we will try to assist you but be aware that if you are purposefully short-repping you are only cheating yourself.
Again if you feel like you need some extra help counting then let us know but don't feel the need to investigate any further ;-)"
Old 04-27-2010, 06:56 AM   #4
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

I do not own a box, but my advice: Don't be passive-aggressive like that. I feel like the guy will ignore it.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Happens all the time.
Eventually when the guy calls "time" on a WOD, and everyone else is still going, you'll start to here snickers from the other members.

Suggestion:
have a competition at your box on a weekend, and tell him you've been watching his times and would really like him to compete.
For every competitor, have a judge counting reps and keeping athletes to strict form.

As Coach would say, "Raincoats off, rulers out!"
Old 04-27-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

Program a partner WOD where one partner rests and counts for the partner working and then switch.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I'm not sure I understand the issue. If you're shorting a rep it is not doing the excersize, just tell him what he's doing. If he doesn't, who really cares, the only person he's affecting is him.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Suggestion:
have a competition at your box on a weekend, and tell him you've been watching his times and would really like him to compete.
For every competitor, have a judge counting reps and keeping athletes to strict form.

As Coach would say, "Raincoats off, rulers out!"
I like this idea. After all, his times only *really* matter if he's competing. This approach shows the extent to which he's cheating himself.

Katherine
Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
Jesse Gray

Profile:

There was a good discussion on this topic on the CF affiliate page a while back. I would say don't be passive aggressive and also, don't make a huge deal out of it. You don't want to make things weird between you and another person at your box. If you're really on good terms with this guy you should be able to call him out in a good natured way. Stay positive, keep a good attitude, these are the kind of situations that can go badly if you are way too serious. In the end, the guy is only cheating himself so it's not your problem if he wants to be less fit.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
Krista Fudge

Profile:

Definitely don't be passive aggressive about it. The guy will probably ignore the blog post, and everyone else will know exactly who you're talking about. It would be better to approach the guy, or try the team WODs that have been suggested.
But it never hurts to write a blog about how CrossFitters are all about consistency of movement, virtuosity, discipline, etc. But definitely approach this from a positive, motivating stand point...not pointing any fingers at the guy at all.