CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Bill Jones

Profile:
Coconut Milk

I tried Coconut Milk this moring for the first time. To my surprise it wasnt exactly a liquid. I had planned to drink some, but ended up using a spoon
Love the stuff

Now I am just curious.. Where is a good point to shoot for in regards to fat consumption? Is a can of coconut milk a day way over the top? I generally eat my protien and carbs, and then small fat amounts, ie a handful of nuts, or cook meats with oils.

I was thinking I'd start using coconut milk with some meals and snacks

my goal is weight loss, and adding veggies and fat to reduce Carb intake
Old 03-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: Coconut Milk

a can of coconut milk is 600 calories. for somebody that wants to lose weight, it's probably not the best idea.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Bill Jones

Profile:

I assume an entire can is not a good choice. I'm just curious what amounts (ball park) Most my fat is from nuts and meat. If I start using Coconut milk how many servings a day is a good goal.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Christie Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Jones View Post
I assume an entire can is not a good choice. I'm just curious what amounts (ball park) Most my fat is from nuts and meat. If I start using Coconut milk how many servings a day is a good goal.
I would just do a cup or so if you are drinking/eating it plain or in a smoothie. You'll want to make sure you're calorie intake is not overkill if you are wanting to lose body mass. You'll gain muscle more than likely by overeating lots of fats and proteins. Also, some people find if their caloric intake is super high, they can't lose that last bit of fat even if insulin is low. I'm not one of them, but some are. Calories are another part of the equation, too!

Last edited by Christie Warner : 03-11-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
Bill Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie Lawson View Post
I would just do a cup or so if you are drinking/eating it plain or in a smoothie. You'll want to make sure you're calorie intake is not overkill if you are wanting to lose body mass. You'll gain muscle more than likely by overeating lots of fats and proteins. Also, some people find if their caloric intake is super high, they can't lose that last bit of fat even if insulin is low. I'm not one of them, but some are. Calories are another part of the equation, too!
Well, I entered it in fitday, and normally slightly over estimate on there. Not near over on calories or fat. I just am excited to find something that fills me up. I'll play around with a few servings a day and see how it goes
Old 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
Justin Baum

Profile:

i put a 1/2 cup in my smoothies 2X/wk or so. i also get about 50% of my calories from fat and i stay at 7-8% bodyfat. i love the stuff and also put it in homemade bars, paleo pancakes and anywhere else that sounds good.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
Ian Nigh

Profile:

I am a coconut milk fiend!
I use a whole can in a smoothie pretty much every day (REALLY good with frozen mango), plus I drink a glass or two (diluted) when Im having a paleo cookie or cake (dont worry, sugar free).
In addition, I cook exclusively with coconut oil, and if Im feeling low, Ill just take a tablespoon or two of the oil straight. I also have coconut milk in Thai curry a couple times a week, and like to have warm coconut milk with cinnamon as a nighttime beverage when watching a movie
It really helps my recovery and I stay around 8% BF.

One thing to watch out for is guar gum (in most commercial coconut milks), as well as other preservatives and emulsifiers. Here in Oz, I get a brand called Royal that is 100% pure, organic, and tastes like heaven!
When back home in Mexico, I just make my own daily, as coconuts are dirt cheap. There is nothing like freshly made coconut milk!
Old 03-12-2010, 12:32 AM   #8
Andrew Thompson

Profile:

I love coconut milk!

Try it with berries, cinnamon, and a little pure vanilla extract.

I eat it almost everyday. If you are keeping your overall calories in check, controlling the insulin, and enjoying what you are eating, then I think you'll be fine.

Oh yeah, my 2 year old son loves it to!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:19 AM   #9
Thomas Jones

Profile:

I'd love to add some coconut milk to my diet to boost the number of calories I'm taking in but all I can really find in the shops around here is this - http://www.bluedragon.com/products/i...onut-milk.aspx

Probably not the best idea to drink that stuff?
Old 03-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
Sean Murray

Profile:

I got informed that 1 block is akin to around 10ml. I'm not 100% certain with that though.

Tricky if you get the cans where it is solid inside. I prefer the more liquid form!