CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Mary Poulin

Profile:
oatbran

I admire people who live the Paleo lifestyle, but I get confused over certain things. For example oatbran. I think Quaker has it and the ingredient just says oatbran. I don't understand what is wrong with this? Is it a type of Wheat? I'm guessing it is and since Wheat is a no no in the Paleo lifestyle than oat bran is off limits. Finding it very hard to understand why oat bran would be off limits.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: oatbran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Poulin View Post
I admire people who live the Paleo lifestyle, but I get confused over certain things. For example oatbran. I think Quaker has it and the ingredient just says oatbran. I don't understand what is wrong with this? Is it a type of Wheat? I'm guessing it is and since Wheat is a no no in the Paleo lifestyle than oat bran is off limits. Finding it very hard to understand why oat bran would be off limits.
Oat is a grain. It's off-limits for the same reason every other type of grain is off-limits for the paleo diet. I'm sure the reason is covered in the multitude of paleo threads.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Oats are a grain. Grains are not Paleo, because Paleolithic man didn't have agriculture yet.

Oats would be completely okay in a diet more generally focused on whole foods.

Katherine
Old 02-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Mary Poulin

Profile:

I just don't see what major impact on someone's life if they eliminated grains, but had oatbran oatmeal once or twice a week. I'm not doing this, but I'm just using it as an example.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

You're guessing that OAT bran comes from WHEAT?

As for not understanding the impact of grains, that's covered in pretty much all of the paleo literature. Start with Cordain's book and then come back here for clarification if necessary.

- Mark
Old 02-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
Casey Crooks

Profile:

if you want to eat oat bran a couple times a week, its not going to kill you. it probly wont do anything negative to you at all. if you want to eat it, then eat it. its not paleo, and there may be better things to eat but if the worst part of your diet is oat bran your doing pretty daggum good.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

The oats question was discussed at great length a couple of months ago:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=52911 (WFS)

Katherine
Old 02-13-2010, 05:19 AM   #8
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

To sum it up, strict Paleo it is a no. If it is something you want to have once in a while it probably is one of the better grains you could eat, if you are going to eat some type of grain. Make it steel-cut oatmeal.

If you still have questions, read through the link Katherine posted. I still enjoy a bowl of steel-cut oatmeal now and then, with a big cup of blueberries mixed into it and a hard boiled egg on the side.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Crooks View Post
if you want to eat oat bran a couple times a week, its not going to kill you. it probly wont do anything negative to you at all. if you want to eat it, then eat it. its not paleo, and there may be better things to eat but if the worst part of your diet is oat bran your doing pretty daggum good.
That does depend. I've found that it does very negatively impact both my workout recovery and my overall energy. Plus, I'm sure that it leads to temporary malnutrition, since it wreaks havoc on my digestive system. So yeah, if I have any kind of grains even twice a week, I'd constantly be setting myself back. You don't know what health is until you've felt it. Only then can you know just how much these kinds of things are really affecting you. We are creatures of relative judgments. If you don't know where the top is, how do you know where you are in relation to it?
Old 02-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
Marta Joy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Poulin View Post
I believe whole heartedly in eating healthy. I did the 30+10 days paleo challange...I have to sai it was ok, I liked it. But I found myself hating the restriction on foods that are not so bad for you-like having Oat Bran with banana in the AM- or green beans which I freakin loooooove! Or potatoes! I eat healthy, I try to stay away from food that is NO GOOD- but I don't believe in denying myself an occasional ice ceream, or almond joy! Hmmmmmm.....love coconut. With that said...eat it! Put it on the F-OFF list! Oat bran won't kill you! Even if the Paleolific man didn't eat it....Man! I think if he was able to enjoy some yummy oat meal he'd eat it up!!! Ha ha!