CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 08-30-2009, 04:39 AM   #1
Peter Yeates

Profile:
I ran a Marathon after 8 weeks of training

Pete's Marathon race report – Training with the The Cell Fitness www.thecellfitness.com.au wfs

Background:

I have been Crossfitting for about 2 yrs, originally following the Main page WOD's and since January this year training with my affiliate “The Cell Fitness” in Perth Western Australia. Before crossfit I was purely a Cyclist, and before this a runner, the whippet type of body shape. I did run a Marathon 12 yrs ago on a flat course at 30 yrs of age and finished in 3:07, but this destroyed me and had to give up running straight afterwards due to re-occurring injury. An injury which hasn't been an issue since crossfit and running with a combination of Pose / Chi type styles.

8 wks ago I finished reading “Born To Run” and this inspired me to one day run a marathon. My running at this time was only 50m – 800 meter intervals incorporated into the WOD's at the CELL once or twice a week, sometimes I even have to carry a 25kg sandbag or 2 x 32kg kettlebells for distance. The Cell doesn't program the 5 or 10 km runs of the main site, so since about December the above was the only running I had done.

Now because I already train 5 – 6 days per week at the Cell, Cross Country Mountain Bike or Road Cycle for 2 – 3 hrs, and Yoga for 1.5 hrs once weekly, there was only time to add 1 extra run.

I decided on Saturday afternoons after work to be the time for the Long Slow Distance (LSD) Training. I know Crossfit goes against LSD training, instead preferring to add 2 x interval sessions and one time trial, but having trialled this type of training for a 100km MTB race earlier in the year, I know my body responds better to the LSD.

Run Training Progress =
All the runs were to “time only” preferring to get a feel for the running without the added pressure of pace.

Week 1 – 30 minutes run
2 – 45min
3 – 1.5hrs
4 – 2hrs
5 – 3hrs
6 – 2hrs
7 – 1hr 10min (This was at a quicker pace than my previous runs)
8 – Perth City 2 Surf Marathon 42.2 km = 3hrs 21min.

I arrived early to watch the start of the ½ marathon and somehow managed to spot Michelle, another Cell Member / Training partner, running past and cheer her on. I noticed the middle of the pack were having to walk for 100m or so after the start due to congestion, and the people starting at the front and back had a clear run. Since the timing chip only activates as you pass over the start line there is no reason to start as soon as the gun goes, so I decided my plan would be to start at the back of the pack.

Just before the start I had a chat with a Guy who has Cerebral Palsy, who could hardly walk let alone run, he was hoping to finish the marathon in 5hrs 15 minutes, what an inspiration!!

At 7am I started at the back of the pack and settled into a comfortable rhythm, by 6 k's there were people already starting to struggle, but I was just cruising aiming to catch up to the next group of runners in front of me, a strategy which I used all race. The course was dead flat for the first ½ and I felt really fresh and had to hold myself back for the hillier 2nd half. All the hills to and through Kings Park felt fine and my energy level was brilliant all the way throughout. The last 5k's my legs started to slow a little but I just treated it as a WOD and finished in fine form, in 3hrs and 21 minutes.

Its about 8hrs after the event and my legs are already starting to feel fresh, I attribute this solely to training at the Cell. I must add that I am really happy with my race today and to do this well, only on 8 weeks of specific training (cough, 1 x wk), is testament to the power of crossfit.

Happy training, Pete.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Mike Onghena

Profile:
Re: I ran a Marathon after 8 weeks of training

That is awesome. Marathon in 8 training sessions.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Omar Omar

Profile:

Awsome story. My last half marathone I finished in an 1:39
Of course now that im on CrossFit I feel like I can pr that so easily. gotta wait for next year though =((
Old 08-31-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
Peter Yeates

Profile:

Mike, I didn’t think of it that way, maybe the thread title should have read “How to run a marathon after 7 running sessions”.

Omar, I am positive you will smash your previous ½ marathon time, best of luck with that.

I found out my Split time for the ½ way point and it was 1hr 36min 8 sec and I finished in 100th place out of 809 finishers.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Excellent report Peter! The LSD structure you put in for yourself was spot-on, keeping it simple. Your CF'ing along with the other sports you did helped establish a good solid base fitness level that helped to get you to that sub-3:30 finishing time.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Cool, nice work!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
Jae Chung

Profile:

Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:42 AM   #8
Noah Martin

Profile:

Great stuff. Running my first half in a few weeks with no other training than CF and about a month of CFE.

I am also reading "born to run" right now, what a great book!

Great post!