CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 11-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #431
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Re: Strength Training and a six minute mile

Rolling, backfalls, sidefalls, breakfalls and movement work followed by this quick WOD:

5 rounds for time:

1 - 15' hands only rope ascent and descent (always starting and ending seated on floor, descent done in L-sit)
7 - burpees with plank pushup, hard explosive jump and OH clap

4:09 - was a bit fatigued doing the pushup in the burpees and that forced a short breaks on the two last rounds; the jumping as hard as I could each rep made this far more taxing than usual. I knew I only had time for a quick workout, so I better make everything count. There is definitely room for improvement in this workout.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #432
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Need to do a little catching up....

Saturday was spent at Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. Had the chance to go "backstage" and get a tiny glimpse of the care of the animals. Will go back again, taking advantage of the "trainer for a day" program so we will actually be able to spend time with some of the animals. Camille had the chance to go nearly eyeball to eyeball with a giant catfish that was propped up against the side of the tank waiting to be fed. When the guide said that the catfish can jump up to 3' in the air Camille backed up in hurry!

Sunday was a day full of great info and lots of pain at CrossFit Fire taking in Kelly Starrett's Mobility cert. No wonder I haven't been able to OHS in two years and why Camille keeps telling me to relax my joints (but I can't!) during Aikido practice. My shoulders are stuck forward and have next to no internal or external rotation. Kelly had to push my shoulders down nearly two inches before they could touch ground and I have no ability to hold them there. My hips are also in very rough shape....my hams and low back are still very sore today from when he worked on them. I've taken his words to heart and I've added three of the movements he suggested to my daily routine. Excellent cert. If you are limited or hurting, attend. If you aren't - attend. It may be what keeps you in the game instead of sitting on the sidelines like I do these days. Obviously there can be no CF games for me unless I can do overhead movements.

Did a bunch of deadlift singles, different kipping pullup varieties and ring pushups and dips at the cert.

Monday:

Back squats:
220x5
230x5
245x5 - last rep was a real grinder. Low back very sore and fatigued from the cert and I felt it!

Bench Press:
142x5
147x5
152x5

Rested/worked a couple hours

10 hill sprints: first round was 12.3 seconds, running as hard as I could. Did the hip mobility drill again for 2 minutes per leg and finished the remaining 11 rounds in 10.2-11.8 seconds. I think that sold my on doing the hip drill before running!

Too tired and sore for Judo. First time I've missed a class do to overall body beatdown.

Tuesday:

Did rolling, breakfalls and side fall practice at the MBG. While I was using the mat to practice breakfalls, the BJJ instructor asked me if they could use the mat and he asked me to join the class. I've been very reluctant to try NJJ due to my injured knees and what seems to be the general somewhat reckless attitudes from some of the BJJ students I've seen, but he said there was only one person in class and they were working self defense today. He had seen me in Judo class and practicing self defense and Aikijutsu with Camille, so he thought I would be interested.

I attended class and I loved it! The instructor had us work on breaking different bear hug holds for about 40 minutes, then he told us to form a line when he unexpectedly bear hugged me really tight from behind and yelled at me to get away from him.....man, I'm so little that he was able to wrap his arms around me darn near twice and he was NOT letting go. Between that and his screaming in my ear it got my heart going and the fight was on! It was an outstanding experience and I really hope they offer these kind of classes at the gym. (Yes I did get away from him and took him to the floor hard - while he was yelling in my ear he did say no eye gouging or any of Camille's painfully evil and effective moves - just do what we learned as he wanted all body parts intact and working!

Finished with a quick workout:

5 rounds for time

2 - 8' hands only rope climbs, starting and ending seated each trip up and down the rope
10- plank pushup burpees with jump and overhead clap
2 - trips up and down the MBG floor (don't know the distance) pushing the 24" box jump platform

9:38 - sucking wind hard, legs had no pop after the squats and hill sprints.

Today's WOD after mobility for my hips and shoulders

Max rounds and reps in eight minutes of:
4 Handstand push-ups
2 pood Kettlebell swing, 8 reps
12 GHD situps

8 rounds + 2 full ROM HSPUs

Modified the WOD slightly to keep more in line with my desire to have 10 consecutive full ROM HSPUs:

2 - Full ROM HSPUs
8 - 1.5 pd overhead KB swings
12 - GHD situps

I am STILL very stiff and sore. Fish oil, here I come.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #433
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Playing catch up again....can't remember what I did except for this workout last Thursday after class:

1 - 15' hands only ascent and descent rope climbs (starting and ending seated on the ground)
7 burpees with plank pushup, overhead jump and clap

6:03 - times are getting better for this one.

Mostly doing mobility work and stretching - lower back really hurting me all week. No deadlifting, squatting or anything else that will irritate my back. It's never hurt like this before or for so long. Guess my body is telling me to take a break. So it might be a good six weeks or so of workouts of my own design and only when I feel good. Mobility, movement and martial arts will be the focus. I want to get my shoulders and hips working again!

Today: Row 2K

8:41. Not all out and not a bad time for me. Too late I realized I was close to the much desired 8:30 mark and could not make up the time. Someday I'll get it.

Judo class tonight.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #434
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Done yesterday after BJJ class:

1 - 15' hands only ascent and descent rope climbs (starting and ending seated on the ground)
7 burpees with plank pushup, overhead jump and clap

6:39 - could feel the effects from the BJJ warmup and the 10 minutes of grappling with guys much bigger than myself. They were very encouraging and didn't kill me, but they didn't "give up" because I'm a girl. I was working very hard to escape holds and even managed to pull off a collar choke on the one fellow who was being just a little too nice

Today's WOD:

Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
30 second Handstand hold
30 second Squat hold
30 second L-sit hold
30 second Chin over bar hold

8 rounds + full unbroken 30 sec L-sit. Not enough time to get to the pullup bar.

Handstands against wall, feet and heels only parts touching. No breaks on any sets. Strong all the way through.

Squats were just below parallel. Chest up and head neutral. No breaks, definitely the easiest of the bunch.

L-sits on stools. First and the last rounds unbroken. Remainder of rounds broken as needed...gamed these a bit. Tried to save a little for the finish as I know how slow I recover for later sets if I go all out. These were the hardest of the four.

Chin over bar holds. Easy and unbroken. Chin not permitted to touch bar at any time; chin had to be over and not touching the bar to count.

Finally a WOD my Judo injured knees can do!
Old 11-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #435
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Aikijutsu practice for an hour with Camille last night. I am covered with bruises all over my legs and back from poorly executed falls (even have some bruising in my belly from Camille's punches!). We removed the nice thick soft crash pad as it's been covering poor technique....man, I have more work to do! Ouch.

Today:

BJJ practice - more self defense work, with a different twist on what we have been learning. I wish I could remember how the new moves worked, but I was having trouble getting them in class and absolutely can not figure them out now. So much awesome information, so little room in my brain. Sigh.

Rolled for two five minutes sessions. Both guys were very good to work with, but I could tell the difference between the blue belt and the black belt. The black belt was doing all kinds of stuff without hurting me and made it look and feel so freaking easy! He was much lighter than the blue belt but definitely faster and more skilled. It's really something when you work with someone so good.

Workout after class:

5 rounds for time

10 kipping pullups
10 clapping pushups
60 yard box push

6:29 - wanted to do rope climbs instead of pullups, but my thumbs are really fatigued and sore. This was an intense explosive power type workout that I really liked. Pushed as fast and hard as I could. Had to break the clapping pushups after the first set. Sucking wind and overall fatigue big time (that box push was a great addition).
Old 11-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #436
Kelly Moore

Profile:

AMRAP in 20 minutes with 17# Bulgarian Bag and 55# throwing dummy:

20/20 round the worlds using bag
10/10 pivot lunge "half moon" thrusters with bag
10/10 lateral "log" jumps over bag
10/10 triangle chokes with bag between legs
10/10 fireman's pickups with throwing dummy

3 rounds + 6 triangle chokes. Sweating buckets.

Round the worlds were easy and the most fluid I've done. I think all the mobility and stretching work is starting to pay off.

Pivot lunge thrusters were hard. When the right leg was the pivot I had all kinds of coordination trouble and spend a fair amount of time adjusting my stance when I fell off balance. (Pivot lunges - you keep one land planted and lunge forward and backward, touching knees both ways for one rep. Add a shouldler to shoulder press at the apex of each pivot and there is the thruster).

The log jumps were surprisingly difficult. Both hands had to stay planted on the bag the entire time - the lack of bag height made these hard.

Triangle chokes are a pretty easy warmup in BJJ for me, but add a 17# bag to the mix and it changes things fast. The rep only counted if I "candlesticked" at the top of the choke. These got hard in a hurry.

Fireman pickups - alternated sides each rep, got low and exploded up each rep. Fashioned a harness of sorts to hold the dummy on it's feet in the power rack. Good movement, works lots of muscles usually ignored.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #437
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Took off for a while to try to rehab my lower back and knees. Lots of long, slow stretching and hanging upside down. Lower back definitely feeling better now, but my knees are not going to heal so easily if at all. Still lots of pain, especially when kneeling or in seisa position....actually, I can't even get to or hold that position anymore due to the pain.

Back squats: 185x5 for three sets (going light for knees and lower back)
Bench press: 135, 140, 145x5 with long pause on first rep of each set

WOD:

Tabata Weighted pull-up, 30 pound dumbbell
Rest 1 minute
Tabata Weighted squat, 45 pound plate
Rest 1 minute
Tabata Weighted ring dip, 30 pound dumbbell
Rest 1 minute
Tabata Deadlift, 165 pound barbelll

3 - 30# no kip, dead hang, chest touching bar pullups
12 - 35# below parallel squats with full hip extension
3 - 30# below parallel ring dips with elbows locked out and rings turned out at support
6 - 165# dead stop, no bounce deadlifts (this was as fast as I could go without bouncing or touch and go reps. Maxed out on this)

24 = total Tabata score
Old 12-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #438
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Tuesday Nov 30:

BJJ followed with this workout:

5 rounds for time

10 kipping pullups
10 clapping pushups
60 yard box push - butt and hams were on fire
5:58

Today Dec 2:

BJJ followed with the same workout:

5 rounds for time

10 kipping pullups
10 clapping pushups - solid plank position and a solid clap each rep....no floppies or saggies or knee pushups.
60 yard box push
5:43

Nice to see the time on this workout dropping from 6:29 on Nov 18 to 5:43 today. Almost made the second round of clapping pushups straight through (had a break at rep 9 due to the clap being weak.....could not have made rep 10). Pretty good considering the BJJ instructor always puts lots of pushups in the warmup. Goal is to go straight through everything without breathing breaks. A time of 3:30 would be outstanding!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #439
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Forgot what workouts I did during the past week.

BJJ on Tuesday and Thursday mornings followed by a short explosive type workout of my own design.

Thursday evening attended another BJJ class with Camille. Great warmup workout, great instruction, great rolling time. Nothing like rolling with people much larger than yourself to get a workout. I did get to roll with Camille once during class and she tapped me out twice with armbars and once by mashing my floating ribs so tight with her thighs I had to tap from the pain! Nasty! (I think I did manage to tap her once with a choke).

Judo class morning followed by watching a Judo tournament on Saturday. Much to my surprise there were not many throws, but there was a lot of falling to the ground and pinning to the mat. I thought, and am being taught, that Judo is more a stand up and throw game. But maybe it's different in tournaments.

Attended an excellent shoulder freedom Eischens Yoga workshop Sunday at the Monkey Bar Gym with Kari Tomashik, director of Eischens Yoga. With only a couple minutes in a few poses with only a few simple cues, I was able to reach my hands fully overhead and overhead squat for the first time in at least two years. I was also able to breath more easily.....something I had no idea might happen. My posture changed to much better too with zero pain during the poses. Kari also had me able to kneel in seiza position for nearly 20 seconds within a couple minutes of one simple pose! My knees had been hurting so much that kneeling is terribly painful and seiza has been impossible. I was (and still am) stunned and amazed. Eischens Yoga, done correctly and with a partner for simple cues, is astonishing.

I wish I had attended all of the clinics this past weekend and the $30 I paid for more than three hours of instruction was a true bargain. Please look into this mobility type work if you are in pain or too tight to move well. The only catch is that you will need a partner for most of the poses to get the benefit from them. But the rewards are virtually immediate with no pain involved.

Workout done 3 rounds FBG style:

1 minute right side speed dummy throws
1 minute left side speed dummy throws
1 minute right side 17# Bulgarian bag round the worlds
1 minute left side 17# Bulgarian bag round the worlds
1 minute 35# KB swings

10-11-12
6-8-7
39-43-40
45-51-45
40-40-38

Tried hard to get the dummy to bounce like Ivan does in this WFS video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOWD1c5F4sg. Managed to get something like the bounce a couple times with the right side throw, not once with the left. Spent a lot of time and energy picking up the dummy. Once I figure it out, it should make for cardio hell. As it was, I was huffing and puffing big time and found that my coordination for the bag swings went into the toilet despite still having plenty in the tank. Weird, but good. Coordination under pressure is one of those things that is good to work on.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #440
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Dec 7:

BJJ followed by: 5 rounds for time

10 kipping pullups
10 clapping pushups
60 yard box push

5:34

Dec 8:

Don't remember what I did!

Dec 9:

BJJ in the morning followed by another BJJ class in the evening. It's great rolling with Camille (she is a strong tiger and I can work hard against her) and it's great rolling with the guys. They are all bigger than I am and the workout is tremendous. I received a knee mount from a guy about 180# last night and now I know what to expect. Nasty for sure, although he did ask me if I had rocks in my belly Thank God for strong, hard abs. Not just for looking good naked (LOL)....it makes taking the knee mount from a larger player unpleasant but bearable.

Today's WOD:

5 rounds for time

5 ring MUs
10/10 26# Bulgarian bag round the body swings
20 Judo squats

9:41

More BJJ tonight!