CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #421
Greg Privitera

Profile:
Re: Strength Training and a six minute mile

Hi Kelly! Nice squatting, hope your knees are feeling ok.

A few of us at CFCC were discussing max added weight to a pull-up by a woman...and you immediately came to my mind.

What is your best? Do you know of anyone that has done more than you?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 10-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #422
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hi Greg,

Thanks for visiting! My squats keep going up for whatever reason...following 531 but not getting greedy and going for broke on the top sets this time. I might be able to milk the gains a little longer this time around.

My personal best no kip dead hang pullup with chin over bar (throat did not touch and I was stretching my chin to get it over the bar!) was 87#. I haven't tested using a chin grip. I've touched throat to bar many times with 72# but can't seem to get that inward pull when the weight is greater. Honestly, I don't think I could kip with that much weight hanging off me!

I'm sure there are other women out there moving more weight - possibly Eva T? I remember seeing a video with her doing a chin grip with 70#+ several years ago, don't remember if it was a kip or dead hang.

Todays workout after lots of rolling, falling and breakfall practice:

7 rounds for time:

15' leg/foot free rope climb (starting and ending seated, L-sit on the descent)
10 traveling alligator pushups (hands and feet leaving ground and switching in air together, hand inside knee on closed side)
5 forward "bunny hops" with 20# Dball in rack, as many hops as needed to go the same distance backward to starting position. Again, backward hops very tough. Tore my big toe open while hopping backward. Weird, but knees don't seem to mind this movement.

7:26 - slightly faster than 10-19-10. Nasty little workout. Cut in hand from the glass milk jar shattering this morning opened up too. Blood cleanup for several minutes.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #423
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Knees are feeling "thick" and stiff most of the time; the constant dull ache has me wearing ice packs wrapped around both knees at night while sleeping. Very intense pain when I stand and do a "butt kick" movement or try to sit in seiza position (no longer possible). Knees feel much better if I'm moving around (but not twisting)....sitting for long times gets them hurting pretty bad. Frustrating.

As fast as possible:

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 L-sit chins (pull to middle of chest, legs straight from beginning to end of each rep, elbows straight at hang for each rep)
5-5-4-4-3-3-2-2-1-1 Full ROM HSPUs (hands on 12" stools, head touching ground each rep)

9:01

Rest 2 minutes

As many as possible in 5 minutes:

55# leather Suples throwing dummy Fireman lift with a right and left lunge before returning dummy to it's "feet". Turn around and repeat from the other side. 26 full lift and lunges.

I was not very fast in the beginning while trying to get comfortable with the lift, but the last couple minutes I was actually moving faster and exploding the dummy onto my shoulders. Cool stuff.

Finished with 100 17# Bulgarian Bag round the world swings. Switched directions every 10 reps....grip was getting tired. Nice core, grip and lung workout. I'm not coordinated enough to swing the 37# bag safely, but I will be!

Judo/Aikido/Defense practice tonight.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #424
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Yesterday:

7 rounds for time:

15' leg/foot free rope climb (starting and ending seated, L-sit on the descent)
10 traveling alligator pushups (hands and feet leaving ground and switching in air together, hand inside knee on closed side)
5 forward "bunny hops" with 20# Dball in rack, as many hops as needed to go the same distance backward to starting position.

7:19

Today:

Standard stance deadstop deadlifts:

250x5
280x3
290x1 (stupid, unexpected lift - forgot to put the 25# plate on the left side of the bar. Bar shot up on the left side and right side stayed down. Tweak in lower back)
315x1 (fail - did not try due to back whining)

Bench presses (first rep of each set with pause on chest)

140x5
150x3
165x1

Foam roller on back.

20 minutes later:

Suples 55# dummy and 26# Bulgarian bag metcon:

20 body lock lifts (bump hips hard into dummy, leaning back with head pitched back during lift)
20 fireman carry lift right side (standing up between each lift)
20 fireman carry lift left side (standing up between each lift)
20 neck/elbow throws
20 dummy shoulder presses overhead (hands in dummies armpits, elbows locked out at top)
20 dummy deadlift/leg swing throws (really felt these in my obliques! That spin on the legs to flip the dummy turned this into a fun movement)
20 round the body swings with the 26# bag to the right
20 round the body swings with the 26# bag to the left

9:35
Old 11-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #425
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Today's WOD:

Five rounds for time of:
3 Muscle-up Handstand push-ups
10 Burpee pull-ups

13:50

Due to space limitations, I had to start seated on the floor inside the power rack for the MUs. Drug my heels on the ground and pulled hard into the transition, but there was no kip so I was in a deep handstand position on the rings each rep. Thankfully I've been doing all my HSPUs on 12" stools so that deep position wasn't much problem to push out of. But my feet kept hitting the pullup bar the rings were attached to so I had to keep the arches of my feet against the bar and bending my knees to straighten my arms. Very awkward but doable. No breaks for the three reps each of the five rounds except to sit on the floor and start the pull again.

Had to pull the crash mat aside, slide the rings over and hang them up out of the way on the power rack bar supports before the burpee pullups. No breaks during the sets of 10, but they were all "do a plank pushup burpee then stand and focus on the correct bar before jumping to the pullup" variety. Too many bars on the top of my power rack (one high pullup bar, two MU ring bars, a low pullup bar and the rear rack support) gave me trouble focusing on the correct bar. My eyes aren't what they used to be and finding the correct bar was the most difficult part of the burpee pullup. Frustrating but not much I can do about it.

Had to pull the mat over and reset the rings before each round. Took about 20 seconds for the reset, but I needed that and more to recover the shoulder strength for the HSPU movement.

This was one ugly workout due to space and equipment limitations. It would be fun to try again with rings not trapped inside a power rack and a very large, thick crash pad.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #426
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Today's WOD:

Five rounds, each for time of:
20 Pull-ups
30 Push-ups
40 Sit-ups
50 Squats

2:29
2:32
2:33
2:35
2:37

Kipping pullups, chest touching floor pushups with complete elbow extension at plank, legs anchored around battling rope pole for situps (thumbs touching chest all reps) and below parallel squats with no medicine ball and full hip extension.

Cleaning lady at the gym was trying to see how many KBs she could disinfect during my sets (there are a LOT of kbs in the gym). Guess you can create competition doing just about anything
Old 11-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #427
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Great time Kelly. Did you break anything at all?

It is cool about the cleaning lady. In a way that had to be fun.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #428
Kelly Moore

Profile:

No breaks anywhere. These bodyweight WODs love me! Throw me some O-lifts though and I sink.

Today's situps were a little different as I wrapped my legs around the battling rope pole and squeezed tight as if I was grappling with someone (we did that last night in Judo and I thought it would be a great change of pace), but I can't say they were any faster than usual. I did feel more in my abs and inside of my thighs than in my hip flexors where I usually feel it.

The cleaning lady is an older woman who simply loves the place. I'm betting she's in her mid 50s and she is still hoisting around 12' ladders to change light bulbs and moving even the 106# KBs to clean them. Pretty cool.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #429
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Yea, I was wondering about the situps. Your pushups are really impressive.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #430
Kelly Moore

Profile:

The pullups were the least taxing of the bunch. If I would learn to butterfly kip I'm sure I could knock a few more seconds off each round, but I'm not sure my shoulders could handle it.

I think the pushups were strong due to all the benching I've been doing....the situps were interesting done that way. It's all good!