CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #401
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Re: Strength Training and a six minute mile

3 rounds for time.....12:49

10/10 round the world swings
10 strict pullups holding bag between knees
10 pushups with bag on back, hands on 5" high blocks, chest and thighs touching and leaving ground together
5/5 hanging twisting kneeups with bag between knees
10/10 jumping lunges with bag on shoulders (not a high jump, just enough to switch legs. Knee was OK with it)
10/10 anchored seated Russian Twists with bag across chest
10 bunny hops with bag on shoulders

Seems the knee is fine with quick forward and back movements provided I don't quickly go to full knee extension.

Rolls, falls and drills after lunch. Paddleboarding after 3:30!
Old 09-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #402
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Went paddleboarding in high winds last night and tried to catch waves (even succeeded a few times! Man, that is fun!). Near the end, the wind really picked up and I thought I was going to get smashed into the boulders before the dock. I knew the wind and waves were beyond my ability to stand and paddle (waves hitting from both behind and it front were they came off the boulders) so I went to kneeling. Camille almost made it into dock standing but the waves took her down into the drink. Pretty awesome run....I wish the season wasn't almost over so we could paddle some big winds and waves. It is going to get too cold too quickly to play much longer, even wearing a wetsuit.

Couplets strength workout today. Rested 4 minutes between efforts. Answered work related emails during rest breaks (as usual!).

Standard stance dead stop deadlifts coupled with bench presses (first rep each set long pause on chest):

245x5 - 137x5
275x3 - 147x3
310x1 - 162x1

All solid DL reps. 310 was a bit slow as I found myself a little out of position after starting the pull, but was able to finish. Bench isn't keeping pace with the DLs and squats, so I will be benching twice a week, once with the DL and once with the squat.

Full ROM strict HSPUs from 12" stools, head to ground coupled with strict 45# chinups:

5-5
5-5
5-5

Legs vertical, back parallel to floor body rows using rings pulling as high as possible (trying to touch hands to obliques) coupled with L-sits for time off the 12" HSPU stools:

6-30 seconds
6-30 seconds
6-30 seconds

Body rows done this way are really difficult....much, much harder than pullups. I need to work much more at strengthening my horizontal pulling. I am very imbalanced now; no wonder I pull ribs out of place when I work on front levers or pull on my opponent during Judo practice.

I will be doing two basic strength workouts per week that will look something like outlined below. I'll work in 2-3 short metcons and likely one longer metcon during the week depending on my work and travel schedule. The rest of my free time is filled with paddleboarding (until the season is done), Judo, Capoeria, rolling/falling/drills and "fun stuff" practice. I want to emerge from winter with more body awareness, better posture and increased overall mobility than I now possess.

Day 1: DL/bench/3 sets full ROM HSPUs/3 sets weighted chinups/3 sets legs vertical body rows/3 sets strict hanging leg raises

Day 2: Squat/bench/3 sets strict ring dips/3 sets kipping pullups/3 sets body rows, legs less than 90 degrees to floor/3 sets L-sits for time

I can couplet these workouts to keep things in a short time frame. I don't like spending hours in the gym.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #403
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Deload week - four minute rests between sets or couplets:

Back squats:
175, 190, 200 x 5

Bench preeses:
105, 110, 120 x 5

Chin above bar kipping pullups:
40, 40, 40
Strict ring dips with rings turned out at support:
10, 10, 10

Ring body rows with feet on 18" bench, bottom of ring 31" from floor, thumbs had to touch torso to count as a rep:
8, 8, 8
L-sits on blocks:
30, 30, 30 seconds

A short metcon, falls, rolls and drills after lunch.

Metcon ("Charley Stay Home" from Anthony Campo):

6 rounds:
250 m row
12 1 pd KB snatches
10 burpees

15:52. Rowing was slower than usual due to my knee - can row about 85% of my max without pain. Better than several days ago. KB snatches were slow too....hands are no longer used to 120 kipping pullups followed by KB snatches! Took my time; didn't want any callus tears or hot spots. All burpees done with no breaks.

Spent a few minutes here and there this afternoon doing hip throws with the 55# leather Judo dummy. Man, that thing is a killer! 55# of stiff dead weight is no joke....I had no idea that little weight could be so heavy. If my hip isn't in the right place it just slides to the ground or stands there. This is great training tool that will not kick my knee out.

I can't weight for the speed dummy to arrive - it's a little lighter, has longer arms and will bounce back off the floor. It will be great for metcons and refining what I practice on the leather dummy.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #404
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Started with rolls and falls this morning....actually jogged into the forward rolls today! Wanted to do high breakfalls but the crash mats were in use. Did end up a little sick from the rolls - that was a surprise as I haven't been sick for a while now, just disoriented.

Practiced 3 per side straight leg flags on the stall bars using Jon Hinds Pullup Revolution device with 2 bands. This clever device is more adjustable and less bouncy than regular stretch type bands - this is the ticket to flags, bar MUs, ice cream makers, various levers and pullups. I've seen it used for other band support exercises too, but it shines at this kind of practice. Shoulders and obliques feeling it!

Practiced 3 per side one arm levers - managed to get my non-support hand and both legs off the ground on the right side, left no dice. Very ugly as my legs and free were bent, but it's a start.

Ido Portal NDA Lateral Intermediate Pushups 10 per side (high leg raised). Triceps burning.

Was planning to do FBG, but knee does not like SDHP or box jumps, so did the MBG workout instead:

3 rounds as fast as possible

20 20# medicine ball slams
40 Sit outs (sat all the way back onto arm and outstretched leg went beyond hand each time
60 12" box step ups
80 Battling Ropes "Fast Hands" each arm
100 cable punching each arm

21:40. No breaks on anything except the cable punching. I was going to sub them for something else as I thought they would be pointless, but they ended up being the most difficult of them all. I had to switch lead legs every 10 reps after a very short time for a quick break....my punches quickly became feeble and silly.

Will do some Judo setups and throws after lunch. Paddleboarding tonight after 5pm!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #405
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Today's metcon (24" box jumps on my knee won't work, so no go at trying the WOD - "Jack"):

5 rounds for time:

5 strict Gi pullups - no kipping, used a different grip each set
5 95# thrusters - out of rack, only broke last set
5/5 landmines with 45# bar and 10# plate - bar had to touch thigh each rep, arms held straight throughout

6:20

Gi pullups easy - should have done more. Hardest were the sleeve grip pullups - not much fabric to grab. Goal for the thrusters was to go through all the sets without breaking them, but just could not hang on for the last round. Landmines were tough, but could have used a little more weight (5# is a lot on this one!). Lats and obliques firing like crazy.

Flag practice. Was able to remove one more band (only one remaining!) from the Pullup Revolution and able to hold my body parallel to the floor (set up mirrors to check alignment). 2 sets on each side. Really feeling it in the obliques now!

One arm lever practice - 2 sets per side. Not able to get non-support hand off the ground for any length of time.

Deload week:

Standard stance dead stop deadlifts:
195x5
210x5
225x5
Bench presses (long pause on chest first rep each round):
105x5
110x5
120x5

Full ROM HSPUs (hands on 12" stools, head touching ground each rep)
3 rounds of 5, 5, 5. Surprised I could still do them after the flags and levers!
2 - 8' L-sit rope climbs, no rest between trips. Starting and ending seated on floor. Hard today, probably due to the Gi pullups.
3 rounds

Legs vertical, back parallel to floor ring body rows
3 rounds 5 reps. Very hard, only touched obliques with hands on the first rep of each round
Strict straight leg hanging leg raises, toes to bar
3 rounds of 5 reps
Old 10-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #406
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Been traveling since Thursday; arrived home late last night. Did not have time to workout except for yesterday morning:

Interval run in Virginia (lots of steep mountain stuff!) for 20 minutes. Ran normal pace on the flats (few of those), slower during the decline and faster for the inclines. Finished with 5 all out sprints up the very steep and nasty hill by Camille's folks' house, starting from the telephone pole and ending at the stop sign at the top of the hill. 16.01 seconds on the first round, 17.03 on the last. 1:15 second walking stumble to the start at bottom of the hill between rounds.

Today:

Tired and fatigued; no zip but I need to get in a workout.

Bench Press with pause on chest first rep of each round:

140x5
145x5
150x5

Back Squat:

215x5
225x5
240x5

First two sets slow and hard, last set felt good and a bit springy (much to my surprise!)

3 sets of MBG "21" pullups setted with deep, strict ring dips - Object for the 21s wokout is one set of 21 total reps, jettisoning weight or making the exercise easier when you can do no more clean reps. Start with strict 52# KB chinups (no kip, dead hang for one second at the bottom of each rep, fingers touching shoulders each rep). Next drop the weight and do strict chinups following the same protocol as above. Finish with kipping pullups until you reach 21 total reps.

Round 1 - 5/8/8 chinups/pullups
11 strict ring dips
Round 2 - 4/9/8
Round 3 - 3/7/11

Very pleased with how easy the dips were.

Body Rows with feet on 18" bench setted with 35 second L-sits:

Round 1 - 8/35 seconds
Round 2 - 8/35 seconds
Round 3 - 8/35 seconds

Body rows were on a definite decline as my feet were quite a bit higher than my shoulders. Rows did not count unless thumbs touched my obliques. Could feel my lats shaking like crazy doing these.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #407
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Too rushed for time to sneak in a workout yesterday.

Today did the WOD from Oct 4, 2010:

50 - 65# squats
10 - 8' rope climbs
40 - 85# squats
8 - rope climbs
30 - 105# squats
6 - rope climbs
20 - 125# squats
4 - rope climbs
10 - 145# squats
2 - rope climbs

20:22. Wanted to come in under 20 minutes but just could not quite make it.

All squats below parallel. All rope climbs started and ended sitting on the ground. All ascents were hands only, feet used on some of the descents as fatigue set in.

Yesterday's main page WOD:

Resting 60 seconds between sets:
Bench press 2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

First rep of each set with pause on chest:

145x2
150x2
155x2
155x2
155x2
155x2
155x2
155x2
155x2
155x2

Should have gone a little heavier on a couple sets.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #408
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Today's WOD:

21-15-9 rep rounds of:
Left-arm Kettlebell snatch, 1 pood
Right-arm Kettlebell snatch, 1 pood
Kipping Pull-ups

5:25

Fun little WOD.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #409
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Started with this couplet:

Bench Press with pause on chest first rep of each round:
140x5
145x5
150x5

Standard stance dead stop deadlifts:
250x5
265x5
280x5

Today's WOD:

Front squat 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 setted with full ROM HSPUs (hands on 12" stools, head to floor each round):

135 - 7 HSPUs
155 - 5
175 - 5
185 - 5
190 - 5
195 (fail) - 5 - Folded over like a taco at the bottom of the front squat!
195 (fail) - 5 - Double Taco!!!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #410
Kelly Moore

Profile:

A metcon of my own making:

5 rounds for time:

2 - 45' rope pulls (seated and unbraced, 1.5" diameter rope) through the second, third and fourth rungs of the stall bars. Pulls to the right immediately followed with pulls to the left.
20 - alternating pylo alligator pushups (feet and hands jumping into the air and switching together)
20 - 20# Dball slams
10/10 - 17# Bulgarian bag round the body swings

15:58 - sweating bullets and breathing like a freight train. Amazing how much weaker my horizontal pulls are versus my vertical pulls. Pylo alligator pushups were tough...so were the ball slams (some escaped a good catch). Heck, even the bag swings ended up uncoordinated and rough. This was a good workout addressing my weaknesses and coordination while fatigued.