CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Jason Lopez-Ota
Member Jason Lopez-Ota is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Honolulu  Hawaii
Posts: 1,528
Nutrition really that neccessary

I think that nutrition is important in the beginning.

Right now I'm getting to be stronger than I ever was and I'm not eating as well as I used to. My six pack isn't showing up as well though. I had a good six pack pretty recently for a few weeks when I was training for the CPAT haha.

I eat decently most days but 3-4 days a week I eat cookies, ice cream, pizza, etc.


Any reasons why this could happen? Perhaps the extra calories?

Last edited by Jason Lopez-Ota : 04-17-2009 at 08:17 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Travis Earp
Member Travis Earp is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Jose  CA
Posts: 224
Re: Nutrition really that neccessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota View Post
I think that nutrition is important in the beginning.
I cannot fathom any logical reason as to why nutrition would only be important in the beginning of a training program. Nutrition is the driving force behind most physiological gains. I.E. feed your body junk and it's going to perform like junk (and probably look like junk, though I know a few people who get away with it). It's like putting the worst gas possible in your brand new sports car.

Quote:
Right now I'm getting to be stronger than I ever was and I'm not eating as well as I used to. My six pack isn't showing up as well though. I had a good six pack pretty recently for a few weeks when I was training for the CPAT haha.
Caloric surplus = Weight gain. Obviously gaining a bit of weight is going to have some effect on the amount of weight you lift for a given exercise, provided you are actively training even though your nutrition is sub-par.

However, look at your lifts in a relative sense. In essence, take your original 1RM and divide it by your original body weight. Now, take your new 1RM and divide it by your new new body weight. Compare said numbers. How much stronger did you really get?

Relative strength gains are much different than just plain old gains through the addition of new body weight.

Quote:
I eat decently most days but 3-4 days a week I eat cookies, ice cream, pizza, etc.


Any reasons why this could happen? Perhaps the extra calories?
Yes, extra calories are more than likely the culprit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
Scott Clark
Departed Scott Clark is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2006
 
Posts: 507
Re: Nutrition really that neccessary

When someone puts aesthetics in front of health, it's a lost cause. Health is not a by product of a 6 pack.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
Travis Earp
Member Travis Earp is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Jose  CA
Posts: 224
Re: Nutrition really that neccessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Clark View Post
When someone puts aesthetics in front of health, it's a lost cause. Health is not a by product of a 6 pack.
I'm not sure if this was directed toward my post or not.

I was not trying to imply that aesthetics should be the driving point behind training and one's overall perception of health. I apologize if it came off that way.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for eating pizza/ice cream/donuts and even having the occasional beer. I was just trying to respond to his questions as best as I could. Once again, I apologize if it came off as if I felt that having a 6 pack was the definition of perfect health.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Scott Clark
Departed Scott Clark is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2006
 
Posts: 507
Re: Nutrition really that neccessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Earp View Post
I'm not sure if this was directed toward my post or not.

I was not trying to imply that aesthetics should be the driving point behind training and one's overall perception of health. I apologize if it came off that way.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for eating pizza/ice cream/donuts and even having the occasional beer. I was just trying to respond to his questions as best as I could. Once again, I apologize if it came off as if I felt that having a 6 pack was the definition of perfect health.
Wha? I was directing that at the OP
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
Travis Earp
Member Travis Earp is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Jose  CA
Posts: 224
Re: Nutrition really that neccessary

Haha, my bad.

Last edited by Travis Earp : 04-17-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: oops
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
Jason Lopez-Ota
Member Jason Lopez-Ota is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Honolulu  Hawaii
Posts: 1,528
Re: Nutrition really that neccessary

Right now my body is more used to these workouts than at the beginning.

I'm thinking I don't need to eat as healthy to recover as well. Am I right?

I haven't gained much if any weight. Maybe I should check again. My abs just aren't as visible. They were sticking out when I was training super-hard, pretty much only in high-intensity metcon. That's the only thing I've noticed anyways.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Last edited by Jason Lopez-Ota : 04-17-2009 at 10:56 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Nutrition really that neccessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota View Post
Right now my body is more used to these workouts than at the beginning.

I'm thinking I don't need to eat as healthy to recover as well. Am I right?

I haven't gained much if any weight. My abs just aren't as visible. They were sticking out when I was training super-hard.
If your abs have faded, you've added body fat.

As far as not needing to eat healthy to recover ... would you start putting regular gas in a Porsche just because you'd owned it for a few months? A junk diet doesn't get any healthier just because you are fit.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
Jason Lopez-Ota
Member Jason Lopez-Ota is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Honolulu  Hawaii
Posts: 1,528
Re: Nutrition really that neccessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
If your abs have faded, you've added body fat.

As far as not needing to eat healthy to recover ... would you start putting regular gas in a Porsche just because you'd owned it for a few months? A junk diet doesn't get any healthier just because you are fit.

Katherine
I'm saying I don't think I need to eat as healthy as I did when I started to get the same benefits. Also when I eat healthy everyday, I don't think I eat enough to get all of the calories that I need.

I'm going to continue like this, then clean up my diet if I stall or notice bad recovery.

Last edited by Jason Lopez-Ota : 04-17-2009 at 11:10 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Nutrition really that neccessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota View Post
I'm saying I don't think I need to eat as healthy as I did when I started to get the same benefits.
I understood you. I disagree.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help on nutrition.. Chris Murray Nutrition 20 03-07-2009 06:07 PM
nutrition ? Rob Chong Nutrition 12 12-10-2008 03:58 PM
Help with nutrition Ando Mikkel Nutrition 2 12-13-2007 02:24 AM
Nutrition Help. Jahmaal Sawyer Nutrition 3 09-19-2007 04:53 PM
Nutrition 2.0 Neill S. Occhiogrosso Nutrition 0 11-09-2006 08:43 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.