CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
Mark Edwards

Profile:
I know there's no clear answer, but if you've settled this debate for yourself, or have an opinion one way or the other, I'd like to hear it. In your opinion, is it more beneficial to do assisted ring dips, or unassisted parallel bar dips (at 2 or 3x rx'd), to get you to the point where you can do unassisted ring dips? Thanks.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
Ken Mindoro

Profile:
I do both, and find that even just holding yourself up in a support position helps as well. It's just like the assisted pullups vs jumping pullups debate...if you can do both, then go for it.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Mark Edwards

Profile:
Well, I'm trying to decide between (a) building a dip station, and getting rings later, or (b) not building a dip station, getting rings now and just doing assisted ring dips. Until now I've been doing increasingly difficult forms of bench dips, but I'm ready to move on -- but not ready for unassisted ring dips yet. So if I could only do one, which do you think would get me to unassisted ring dips fastest?

Just re-reading this, I guess the obvious answer is the assisted ring dips. But I was wondering if anyone had any experience that suggested otherwise. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:
You are not going to get as much good from a dip station as you could from rings. The stabilizer requirements for rings will help make you stronger and besides, there are lots more exercises that become possible when you use rings.

If rings are possible, then my opinion is that they are better than dip bars, hold more options, and make dip bars pretty much superfluous, although some might disagree with me on that last point and may have good points. If you're on a tight budget, rings would certainly seem the more economical way to handle this.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:
Get the rings. Even if you start with assisted dips on them you are building a foundation for un-assisted dips, not to mention all the other things you can do with them. BY FAR one of the best investments I have ever made was my pair of rings. You won't believe how quickly you will progress with them.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
Travis Hall

Profile:

I recommend just getting the rings.

Pretty much for the same reasons listed above.
They are more fun and will lead to better gains, both strength, endurance and balance.

To me a dip station is a waste of money. Rings provide the same exercise and more.

Travis.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:09 PM   #7
Mark Edwards

Profile:
Thanks, guys. You had me at "superfluous." Rings it is.