CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-15-2003, 12:09 PM   #1
brian smith

Profile:  
My wife wants to get fit and go down a few dress sizes. She has never really participated in any type of work out regime before and I was hoping that this could be a good place to start.I was wanting to get her started on the WOD with me starting tonight. However I don't want the intensity of the workouts to prematurely discourage her. Does anyone have any advice on what her coach (me) can do to get her started on a life long path to fitness?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 02-15-2003, 01:09 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Go slow...do not **** her off!
Old 02-15-2003, 07:36 PM   #3
Janet Fisher

Profile:

I second that latter portion.

Also, she might have been raised (like the rest of us) not to show physical effort in front of you (verbally), so encourage that, and she won't slack or feel like she can't do it.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:42 AM   #4
Derek

Profile:

Start slow then gradually ramp up the intensity. It would not surprise me if in six months she were ecstatic with her new body! Most women I work with are amazed at their untapped physical potential, and once uncovered hunger for more and more. Nothing makes me happier than watching one of the CrossFit women dismantle a man’s ego by out performing him in head to head competition! Let her know that she is capable of achieving any goal she sets her mind too. Start off with small attainable goals at first, and then go after a big one! If you are going after Moby Dick make sure you take tartar sauce.

Old 02-22-2003, 01:45 AM   #5
Ross Burke

Profile:
Brian, like Coach said in another thread, it's consistancy first, then intensity. With few exceptions your wife can do any of these exercises (substituting something like assisted pull ups and dips for muscle ups, etc.) at a lowered intensity. As her strength and conditioning come up, slowly increase the intensity. Getting her doing some vigorous physical exercise daily is the first goal.

And a note from personal experience as a trainer/coach who's worked with significant others in the past. Don't 'over coach' her. Show her, give a short explanation, and watch for significant and dangerous form breaks. If it ain't significant AND dangerous, don't correct it :wink:.