CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-03-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
Matthew Stafford

Profile:
What the heck did I pull, and how do I make it stop hurting?

Okay, normally I'm pretty good at figuring out what exactly I injured or pulled and how I did it... this time I have no clue.

I have pain in my mid-back, right below/under my right shoulder blade. It's sore, but I get a sharp pain in that spot when I look downwards. My neck isn't tense or sore at all.

I have been trying to actively correct my posture, which involves stretching my pecs and getting my shoulder girdle back into the correct position through constant reminders and wall slides. I wonder if this is the cause?

Any ideas on what muscle I pulled?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Lee Austin

Profile:
Re: What the heck did I pull, and how do I make it stop hurting?

Does it hurt when you raise and lower that arm? I had a problem in that same area and Rip thought it was a serratus, in my case, the posterior inferior.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Bryan Gates

Profile:

Sounds like a rhomboid. Typically with the shoudlers forward issue, aka hunched, the pecs become strong and shortened while the rhomboids become long and weakened/inhibited. The rhomboid pulls the scaps together (shoulders back - chest out), which is something you havent been doing with poor posture so they are being worked more than they are used to, hence the "pull". Its the same idea behind getting your shoulders stronger ASAP and going balls to the wall on OHP. Your shoulders would feel the pain.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Matthew Stafford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Austin View Post
Does it hurt when you raise and lower that arm? I had a problem in that same area and Rip thought it was a serratus, in my case, the posterior inferior.
Nope, absolutely no pain when I use or move the arm. It is constantly sore, and I only get the sharp pains when I look down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Gates View Post
Sounds like a rhomboid. Typically with the shoudlers forward issue, aka hunched, the pecs become strong and shortened while the rhomboids become long and weakened/inhibited. The rhomboid pulls the scaps together (shoulders back - chest out), which is something you havent been doing with poor posture so they are being worked more than they are used to, hence the "pull". Its the same idea behind getting your shoulders stronger ASAP and going balls to the wall on OHP. Your shoulders would feel the pain.
This makes a lot of sense, considering I did a fair bit of driving over the holiday where I paid very close attention to the position of my head, shoulders and chest. The pain I feel traces out the location of the muscle as shown (SFW Wikipedia link) here.

I've been trying to roll it out with a tennis ball while bear hugging myself, since I thought it was erector spinae related, but I'll try it with my arms back and shoulder blades together to see if that works better.

Thanks guys and gals!
Old 12-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Bryan Gates

Profile:

The way you describe the pain sounds like it is right on top of/below the lowest point of the scapula. The best way to hit that spot is with a tennis ball against a wall and your arm drawn across your body so that the scapula is move to the outside (shoulder forward). Try taking that tennis ball and roll it against the wall just inside of the scapula as described above, but roll it from top-inside to bottom-inside. You will probably find several tender spots.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Jess McMillian

Profile:

Hello all, first post here so I hope I wasn't supposed to post an intro somewhere. I looked about and didn't find such place.

Anyhow, I bring this thread back because I'm having a very similar problem and I'm wondering if the original poster has cleared this up.
I've been Crossfitting for about 5 months with no probelms (I'm freaking addicted). About four weeks ago I started having pain in my back similar to what Matthew described; under the shoulder blade, right side near the spine. It started right after my first bout with one of the tabatas that involved rowing.
It doesn't hurt when I look down specifically, but it hurts enough that I have a hard time breathing. When I do pushups it is very near intolerable (I can't breathe and execute the pushup)- it feels like a muscle pull or tear but it always feels like a rib out of place.

I've tried resting it, which worker for awhile but now it's back with vengence. I've tried heating pads, tigerbalm etc. I have tried the tennis ball massage thing- which hurt pretty bad and I'm not sure how well it worked.
I'm applying to Marine Corps OCS and already have two knee surgeries on my record, so I really cant afford any injuries (I also have no health insurance so I really can't afford a doc, heh).
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
F/27/5"2"/140 Squat: 195# C&J: 140# Snatch: 115# DL: 245# Fran: 4:46
Old 01-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
Robert Newman

Profile:

A friend just got a very similar sounding injury. Any advice would be awesome!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

If it's the rhomboid then it's probably weak and you need to strengthen them and improve your posture.

However, if it's posterior serratus inferior... you need to massage BOTH sides (well, generally the opposite side) and it should improve. Better posture will help too, heh.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Steven is back helping us with injuries YAY
Old 01-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
Jess McMillian

Profile:

Hey guys just an update,
I broke down and went to a chiropractor today. She said that one of my ribs had subluxated and she tried to pop it back into place. She couldn't. Apparently because I had let it go on so long, the muscles around had tightened up and it might take two visits to get it back in. Could be bulls*** I guess, but I'm headed back monday for my second visit. If I don't feel 100% after that then I'll try the strengthening...
Steven, do you have any suggestions on PT excercises for the rhomboid? Thanks for the advice.
F/27/5"2"/140 Squat: 195# C&J: 140# Snatch: 115# DL: 245# Fran: 4:46