CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-26-2003, 11:53 PM   #1
The New Fred

Profile:  
I've read the first issue of the Journal, which recommends the creation of a garage gym over joining a commercial gym, and I'm convinced. My problem is that I'm renting an apartment and I have no garage.

Are there any recommendations for those of us who are garageless? Are there any CrossFit-style gyms open to the public in Silicon Valley?

Thanks,
Fred
Old 02-27-2003, 06:36 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hey Fred,

Check out some Frank's ideas in the equipment section of this message board. Even though your living in an apartment you should still be able to use parallettes. Depending on what floor you live on, space considerations and the time you workout you may be able to get away with a jump rope and dumbbells as well. A friend of mine actually kept a power rack in his apartment for 2 years with no problems. Combination pull-up/dip/ab stations are selling for around $90 these days and take up little space. Hang from the dipping handles with your feet propped on a chair (imagine an upside down push-up), and you have what amounts to a near-body weight row.

Also, don't limit yourself to your apartment. Are there parks in your area? You can use park benches for step-ups, box jumps and who knows what else. Other people have posted that they use swing set poles in substitution for rope climbs. Doesn't California have a lot of hills (i.e. sprints). That, and the weather's probably a hell of a lot nicer than here in Wisconsin.

Anyway, I guess the point is to do what you can and improvise the rest. Use your imagination. I hope some of these ideas have helped and good luck.

Ryan
Old 03-01-2003, 08:51 AM   #3
The New Fred

Profile:  
Thank you Ryan, your ideas are very helpful and encouraging. Yes, there are parks in my area, and the weather's always a slightly different shade of ideal (rather boring, really).

I'll start putting my engineering mind to work. From now on anything I see in a public place is potentially an exercise tool. :-)

Fred