CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
Jay Adams

Profile:
making money

I am curious about the revenue derived from CF. I see people expounding about protecting the brand and only allowing CF WODS in their place and how the business model of CF is great. When I read the "what do you do for a living" post I see very few people who actually make a living from Crossfit. I am sure some do, but how many? On my breaks from school I help out at a sports conditioning place that seems to do OK money wise. They have been approached about CF and don't see the value. I see the value,as an athlete, of doing Crossfit along with sports training, but I am not looking to make money at it. I have read about doing it for love and the money will come, but if that's true why are so many affiliate owners still accountants and nurses and such? I would love an affiliate closer to me but I can't/won't talk to the owner of the sports conditioning facility about it as a biz because I haven't seen/heard from enough people paying the rent with it.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
Neil Khant

Profile:
Re: making money

Jay,

There is a Crossfit Rochester.

Maybe go and talk to them.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Derek Franks

Profile:

Couple of thoughts - many, many affiliates don't post here. They're busy running their gyms. The ones that take the time to participate in this online community are a great asset. However, I don't think the posters online are necessarily representative of the Crossfit community as a whole.

Also, this is hard to understand while you're still in school, but once you get out into the real world and start earning a nice income as an accountant or lawyer or whatever, and you have a mortgage payment, car payment, wife and kids, etc, it can be very, very difficult (if not impossible if you have lots of debt) to walk away from your income to something completely different and ultimately very risky. I think that's why you see many people running affiliates part-time/out of their garage until they establish an income that lets them switch careers without a huge negative impact on their live.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
Jay Adams

Profile:

I see the point about many not posting here, but as far as the comfort of a 9-5 job/income, I don't get it. My mom was an art teacher for 10 years and hated the BS that went on in the schools. She bought a Deck the Walls franchise and quit her job. After 2 years she was at the same income level she had been and was happier. My brother graduated with an MBA and worked on Wall St., his marriage was a mess and he never saw his kids. He opened a coffee shop and quit his job. After 4 years he sold the shop and stared a catering company with a college buddy. Today he makes good 6 figure income and is much happier. My question is why not just join a CF affiliate and work out? If the majority of owners can not pay bills with their affiliate, why bother? I love CF but I would not open one because I would then have "the job I love" and "the job that pays the bills". I know its not all about making money, but it is presented like a business but does it pay like one?
Old 09-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Jeremy Mathers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Adams View Post
I see the point about many not posting here, but as far as the comfort of a 9-5 job/income, I don't get it. My mom was an art teacher for 10 years and hated the BS that went on in the schools. She bought a Deck the Walls franchise and quit her job. After 2 years she was at the same income level she had been and was happier. My brother graduated with an MBA and worked on Wall St., his marriage was a mess and he never saw his kids. He opened a coffee shop and quit his job. After 4 years he sold the shop and stared a catering company with a college buddy. Today he makes good 6 figure income and is much happier. My question is why not just join a CF affiliate and work out? If the majority of owners can not pay bills with their affiliate, why bother? I love CF but I would not open one because I would then have "the job I love" and "the job that pays the bills". I know its not all about making money, but it is presented like a business but does it pay like one?
you have a lot to learn about people and their motivations.

Also starting a business isn't nearly as easy as you've implied with your post.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #6
Skip Chase

Profile:

We own 2 CF facilities (opened the 1st Oct 2005-the 2nd April 2008) with 300+ members and have 3 full time trainers and 7 part time. We wake up every morning ANXIOUS to go open the doors and begin training.

We are enjoying what we do and are paying the bills.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
Steve Reggio

Profile:

Been open since March and I can now pay my affiliate's bills every month and have some left over. Give me 6-12 more months and I'll be paying all my own too with money to put away for retirement, kids, vacations.

Do I see this as a potential million dollar operation, no. But I love what I do and I will make a good living at it. It ain't easy that is for sure but 100% worth it!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
Mark Reinke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Khant View Post
Jay,

There is a Crossfit Rochester.

Maybe go and talk to them.
Neil,

There is a CrossFit Tri-Cities.

Maybe go and and do a WOD with them.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
Dan Hollingsworth

Profile:

Jay,

There are plenty of people out there who make their living and are doing quite fine, I might add, just off of their CrossFit affiliate. As Derek said, not everyone who runs an affiliate posted on that "What do you do for a living" thread.

Coach G and Lauren started this whole revolution with just a small box in Santa Cruz and if we are to believe what they have written, which we have no reason not to, they enjoyed a comfortable 6-figure income running that box.

I have personally been to several affiliates who are doing well with the income generated from their CF affiliate - Robb and Nicki at NorCal in chico, Andy Petranek at Petranek Fitness in Santa Monica and Chris and Maribel LaLanne at LaLanne Fitness in San Fran.

Skip Chase, who has already contributed to this thread owns two facilities in Washington state, both doing quite well, and there is the Sonz franchize on the east coast and CrossFit Evolution in Florida, also doing quite well.

So, looks like you need to do a bit more research before you make the claim that this is not a sustainable bussiness model. I have been scouring this message board, talking with affiliate owners, and visiting boxes almost religiously over the last several months as I plan to open my own affiliate next year. Initially I will work part time as I know that it will take a little while to build the business up to the point where I can live off of it alone, but I will get there. How do I know, because the path has been laid by those mentioned above and countless others who I have not had the great fortune to meet...yet.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #10
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

What Dan said.