CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
Brandon Tullos

Profile:
Trying a full circle swing on tire hammer WO.

Just a little something i picked up on from one of our trainers today and thought i would pass in on as a suggestion to fellow crossfitters. I am sure most people do a sledgehammer against a tire as a WO or Warm up exercise. Most people do a swing from the top with the hands separated and bringing them together as you bring the swing down to the bottom. However, i found that if you keep both hands together at the bottom of the handle and swing the hammer in a full circle while standing to the side and when you bring the hammer to the top and back down stepping back square to the tire and pulling down as hard as you can gives you much more power and works your core a whole lot more than the regular swing. Let me know how you feel and if you try it out what you think.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
Dan Morosani

Profile:
Re: Trying a full circle swing on tire hammer WO.

Yeah you get a lot more power/work this way. In Russia this is how they teach you to do it. It becomes an almost perfect circular motion, broken only by the impact of the hammer on the tire. The one thing you should watch out for is that with the two hands always together, you might accidentally hit yourself in the leg on the backward/upward part of the movement.

Another way to get more power out of the movement is to hit a bunch of stacked rubber mats. Most tires tend to be too bouncy if you are using a heavy hammer and really cranking it in the downward part of the movement.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:59 AM   #3
Dave Laemers

Profile:

This is the hammer swing that we usually use and I concur that it is awesome. Feels more athletic and seems to generate more power. A good stiff tire is nice for these so the hammer doesn't rebound too high.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:11 AM   #4
patrick j fleming jr

Profile:

I used this swing for a while it was a good variation. My favorite is a one-handed swing try that one and be careful.