CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 10-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #1001
Rob Exline

Profile:
Re: Carla's Workout Log

Carla you had a busy weekend. Did you do the tabata work during the first half or the second half? Just wonder if UT winning the game helped with your numbers?

Nice job on Fran. The kips will come and your time will go down. If you can handle the thrusters, once your kipping pull ups get stronger your time will go down. I think the thrusters suck the will out.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #1002
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:

Hey Carla! Awesome job on the Fran. You'll get the kips in no time.
And increasing tabata squats? How do you do that??? All my tabatas either stay the same or go down round to round! Regardless - Nice Work!!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #1003
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Tremblay View Post
Saturday, 10/11/08

1:30pm

Did my workout during the UT vs. OU game… What an awesome game! UT rocks! I even got my husband to “play” with me for the Tabata Push-ups!

Tabata Push-ups:

My score: 15, 11, 8, 6, 6, 5, 6, 7 = 64
David’s score: 22, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 5, 5 = 82

Tabata Squats:

21, 22, 23, 23, 24, 24, 24, 24 = 185

Tabata Sit-ups:

14, 15, 15, 14, 13, 14, 13, 13 = 111

Hold plank position for max time: 3:32 (ouch! )

Sunday, 10/12/08

10:30am

Almost rx’ed “Fran”

21-15-9

Thruster: 65#
Pull-ups (mostly kips & some jumping)

Completed in 13:36

I had intentions of doing my first as rx’ed Fran today. I decided that I needed to start doing WODs with pull-ups even though my kipping sucks. I figured I would just struggle through it. I did the thrusters fine with the 65# but the kipping got to me. Ended up doing the following for the pull-ups… I could have taken longer and done all the kips instead of subbing the jumps in there but it would have taken too long and I wanted to be tired at the end of my WOD.

16 kips/5 jumping pull-ups
11 kips/4 jumping pull-ups
6 kips/3 jumping pull-ups

All “kips” were broken and very ugly… Really need to work on these.

The good news is that I did all my ugly kips at my glob today!!! Usually I’m too embarrassed to struggle through them and I just work on my dead hangs at the glob… I just don’t care anymore…
Carla,

Simply OUTSTANDING on all counts! Great that David joined you. Lots of fun that way!

BTW, hats off to you for even being able to maintain your concentration on a WOD (tabatas, no less) during a football game - - a hotly contested college football game!

Inspiratiional FRAN too!
- - Nice weekend for your log!!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:15 AM   #1004
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Good show on the kips, Carla (and the plank and your still ridiculous tabata squat numbers). With the recon ron work, you're pretty much there for Fran. Next time it comes around, you'll kip your way to under 10 minutes for sure.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:29 AM   #1005
Veronica Davis

Profile:

Nice job on Fran. Still a GREAT job and the fact that you did some kips is a huge improvement.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:04 AM   #1006
Vanessa Sisson

Profile:

Sounds like you had a fun weekend. Good for you on the kipping. I know you wanted to do them all but I say half kipping, halk jumping is a good start. I need to work on my kips too!
Old 10-13-2008, 06:26 AM   #1007
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Man great work on the pullups.
I have a friend who couldnt do but one maybe two pullups, he only did jumps in the WOD's, now he is kipping all, they are rough. He kips good at first but when he gets tired they get a little rough.

He like you wanted to get away from jump and do the WOD's as close as rx'd as possible. It is so cool to see his progression and drive to push himself. I see the same in you!! Keep practicing the kip, it will come in time.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:54 AM   #1008
Carla Tremblay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Novick View Post
Good job on the Tabatas, nice that you got your hubby to join you.

Awesome plank too.

Keep working on the PUs, it will come, especially with your diligence!
Thanks Steven! We've decided to start working on our home garage gym... That's right... WE! He's been doing ring workouts when I'm out of town... I'll get him to drink that koolaid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix Clark View Post
Nice work on Fran! Doing it is at RX'd (no matter how long or ugly) is one of my current goals too.

Great plank - my reasoning is that plank gets tougher the longer one's body is - ie I'm 6' and my max plank is about 2:10. Melissa - you're pretty tall too aren't you? Or am I just coming up with excuses?
That is a very good point Alix! You and Melissa are A LOT taller than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Davidson View Post
Beautiful plank, Carla! And I'm very happy to hear your glutes are sore. I give really corny high fives around Crossfit Tribe when I hear that from someone.

Alix is definitely right - distribution of weight and weight in generally is everything in a plank. Either way I'd say any athlete should aim for a 2-3 minute plank as a minimum. These things get a lot better with practice tho. It hurts at a lot but it's no where near impossible.

Oh yeah, and you'll definitely get those kips, Carla. "Fran" used to drive me crazy that way too...it felt incredible to get her done with more than just kipping singles! It'll definitely be time for you to do the same too. If you're having trouble stringing kips together I've found that the most helpful key for me is remembering to get my head forward between my arms upon swinging down from the top position. For some reason if my head is forward the rest of my body follows, I end up in a 'C' shape, and I am able to conserve the momentum gained from being over the bar.
Thanks Erin! I wish I could come up to tribe to give you a high five in person!

Thanks for the kipping tips! I really just need to get out and practice them... I will try your suggestion next time I do them. My arms are so sore today though!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Exline View Post
Carla you had a busy weekend. Did you do the tabata work during the first half or the second half? Just wonder if UT winning the game helped with your numbers?

Nice job on Fran. The kips will come and your time will go down. If you can handle the thrusters, once your kipping pull ups get stronger your time will go down. I think the thrusters suck the will out.
Thanks Rob!

I did them during the second half during the commercial breaks... It was a last minute decision... I didn't want to not do anything this Saturday and we had a full day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu Varadharajan View Post
Hey Carla! Awesome job on the Fran. You'll get the kips in no time.
And increasing tabata squats? How do you do that??? All my tabatas either stay the same or go down round to round! Regardless - Nice Work!!
I held back at first for the tabata squats. Then, it becomes a mind game for me. I have my timer going off every 10 seconds so then I just try to get 14 squats by the first 10 second mark... After that it is easy...

Oh yea, I'm short too! So less distance to travel! I'm assuming that it's a lot harder for tall people to get that many in b/c of their long legs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen R. Lampl View Post
Carla,

Simply OUTSTANDING on all counts! Great that David joined you. Lots of fun that way!

BTW, hats off to you for even being able to maintain your concentration on a WOD (tabatas, no less) during a football game - - a hotly contested college football game!

Inspiratiional FRAN too!
- - Nice weekend for your log!!
Thanks Stephen! I limited the tabatas to the commercial breaks so I didn't miss THAT much of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Haskell View Post
Good show on the kips, Carla (and the plank and your still ridiculous tabata squat numbers). With the recon ron work, you're pretty much there for Fran. Next time it comes around, you'll kip your way to under 10 minutes for sure.
Thank you! I hope to be under 10 minutes some day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Davis View Post
Nice job on Fran. Still a GREAT job and the fact that you did some kips is a huge improvement.
Thanks V! The hardest part of that was getting over my embarrassment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa Pierce View Post
Sounds like you had a fun weekend. Good for you on the kipping. I know you wanted to do them all but I say half kipping, halk jumping is a good start. I need to work on my kips too!
Kipping is hard! But you're getting in some good practice along with your SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
Man great work on the pullups.
I have a friend who couldnt do but one maybe two pullups, he only did jumps in the WOD's, now he is kipping all, they are rough. He kips good at first but when he gets tired they get a little rough.

He like you wanted to get away from jump and do the WOD's as close as rx'd as possible. It is so cool to see his progression and drive to push himself. I see the same in you!! Keep practicing the kip, it will come in time.
Thank you Nik! It's nice to hear your encouragement and that your friend is getting closed to the as rx'd WOD!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #1009
Carla Tremblay

Profile:

Monday, 10/13/08

Rest Day

OMG my biceps, triceps, and lats are sore like they've never been sore before!!! I'm guessing it's from the kips?? I don't usually do that movement...
Old 10-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #1010
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Tremblay View Post
Monday, 10/13/08

Rest Day

OMG my biceps, triceps, and lats are sore like they've never been sore before!!! I'm guessing it's from the kips?? I don't usually do that movement...
Carla,

This is where your husband can double as your masseuse!

I still am not getting the motions down for kipping. It's gotta be hilarious to watch. Had a good laugh today with a serious local CFer who works out at the same globogym as I in discussing the "stupendously odd" stuff (like virtual shoveling) that we do and the strange looks we get!!

Take care!