CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
Trampas Hutches

Profile:
Deadlift grip for SS

Getting ready to start the SS program in conjunction with CrossFit. I have always used a Lt over/Rt under grip for deadlifting heavy wt. Is this good, bad or personal preference?
Old 04-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Deadlift grip for SS

Use as double overhand as much as possible. Switch to a mixed grip (and/or a hook grip) if/when the weight becomes too much to lift otherwise.

A normal overhand grip will develop your grip strength better. The mixed grip will let you move more weight.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Steven Quadros

Profile:

I'll echo what Brandon said, with an addition: really emphasize being able to double overhand pull; it will build great grip strength, and will help with other things, like pull ups and chins. I see many peopel at the gym deadlifting low weights, ie. big guys DL 185, with mixed grips just because it has become part of the lift for them. I believe Rip recommends, if you're lifting heavily, that you warm up with the Double overhand until your last few warmups, or, if you can, until your work sets. It will build grip strength and potentially, if you have shoulder problems, save you some pain that the mixed grip might produce.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Quadros View Post
I'll echo what Brandon said, with an addition: really emphasize being able to double overhand pull; it will build great grip strength, and will help with other things, like pull ups and chins. I see many peopel at the gym deadlifting low weights, ie. big guys DL 185, with mixed grips just because it has become part of the lift for them. I believe Rip recommends, if you're lifting heavily, that you warm up with the Double overhand until your last few warmups, or, if you can, until your work sets. It will build grip strength and potentially, if you have shoulder problems, save you some pain that the mixed grip might produce.
Currently doing a SS cycle, and that's exactly what I do. Double-overhand, no hook, for all warm-up sets. I switch to alternating for my work set because I could only get about one rep otherwise before grip failure.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
Timothy Bartee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trampas Hutches View Post
Getting ready to start the SS program in conjunction with CrossFit. I have always used a Lt over/Rt under grip for deadlifting heavy wt. Is this good, bad or personal preference?
In addition to what has already been written, I think it is a good idea to alternate your alternating. One set with left over/right under then one set with right over/left under and so on.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
Chad Skola

Profile:

I agree with tim. Make sure to switch you don't want to have some crazy strong left had from doing months of overhand and have your right hand be all sad and feel left out at the strength party. Alternate grip is the way to go with heavy loads. You can lift more and you dont risk dropping it as easy. Of course I think NSCA always recommends an alternate grip? I will have to check. hahaha!
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.