CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-24-2008, 11:02 PM   #11
Terry Brazeal

Profile:
Re: Shift work and working out

Stephen that is basically what I have tried to do, I have been keeping a log of everything even if it is just dropping down and doing a set of pushups.

It is really making a difference, the trick is becoming a crossfitter and I am determined. I string exercises together on my lunch break and do them for time. A couple I have repeated already and dropped good amounts of time.

Thank you for the reply, and I noticed you're close to my age, how long have you been using crossfit?

Sorry Aaron, I kind of hijacked your thread but it applied so much to my situation and I thought it would be a good way to introduce myself. I hope the answers here have been helpful to you also.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:33 AM   #12
Stephen Smith

Profile:

I started doing CrossFit on 4/25, and I've been pretty consistent with it since I started. Just coming off a few weeks mostly off because of a dislocated elbow, and that's the longest break I've taken so far.

My log is http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=30975 if you don't mind being bored. We just started our current outage a little over a week ago, and I've got a couple of at-work workouts posted since then. I also do some little things I don't document, like a quick 10 burpees to wake up when I'm crashing at 3 a.m., or 10 quick pull-ups when I walk through the turbine building to grease the groove a little.

I gotta say, after doing this for 6 months (it's officially my 6 month anniversary today, wohoo!), I'm well on my way to being in the best shape of my life at 43, and I'm still making consistent gains.

Ok, back to work.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #13
Gary Ohm

Profile:

Stephen, where do you work? Your schedule sounds like what I get hit with during my outages. Otherwise I work a rotating shift of days and nights and some weekends. We have a fitness facility at work that we are allowed to use when the workload allows. Somehow that never happens.
What I have had to do is resigne myself to doing whatever I can when I can. Pullups from a seismic support or burpees under a feedwater heater to get the sweat going.
I simply cannot do a strict WOD schedule and I simply cannot do a strict 3/1 or 5/2. I take what I can get when I can get it. I am still in pretty darnted good shape though.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #14
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ohm View Post
Stephen, where do you work? Your schedule sounds like what I get hit with during my outages. Otherwise I work a rotating shift of days and nights and some weekends. We have a fitness facility at work that we are allowed to use when the workload allows. Somehow that never happens.
What I have had to do is resigne myself to doing whatever I can when I can. Pullups from a seismic support or burpees under a feedwater heater to get the sweat going.
I simply cannot do a strict WOD schedule and I simply cannot do a strict 3/1 or 5/2. I take what I can get when I can get it. I am still in pretty darnted good shape though.
I work at San Onofre power plant down the coast from you. Do work at Diablo Canyon? Count yourself lucky, though, at least you have a fitness facility... We just opened one, but it's on the training/warehouse side of the plant, which is effectively inaccessible if you actually work in the plant.

So, rotating shift, I'm guessing you're an operator, right? Shiftwork is the reason I chose to go into maintenance! I had enough screwed up rotations in the Navy, so now that I have the choice I'll stick with a steady schedule. I usually work normal day shifts, but I'm on nights for the outage by choice... So much less stressful!
Old 10-25-2008, 02:33 PM   #15
Gary Ohm

Profile:

Yep, Diablo Canyon and I am indeed an operator. We have a number of new operators who transferred up here from San O'. I would love to go to the maintenance side but I cannot afford to enter in to the apprentice program at this point as a helper.
I've worked nights for outages in the past but I think I am going to try days on the next one. It is way less stress on nights, but my body just gets too cornfused on my days off.

By the way, were you on a boat or a target?

PS I wasn't navy, but after working around all these squids for so many years I can just about tell a sea story myself....
Old 10-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #16
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

I know the feeling, I am a shift worker also; every four weeks we change from days to graves then swings. Days and graves are OK because I can do the WOD after shift, but on swings I do the WOD before work and that can make for a long shift.