CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-15-2004, 07:16 AM   #1
Eric Durante

Profile:

How has anyone introduced CrossFit to kids (8 yrs or older)?
Old 08-15-2004, 09:44 AM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Hi Eric,
I started my 12 year old on CrossFit about 5 months ago. He has had amazing results on about three workouts a week. We recently bumped him up to 4 workouts a week plus 2 traditional martial arts classes and 2 Krav Maga classes per week. He has hit a couple of milestones. He is able to do five muscleups in a row, and recently ran a 6:30 mile. He has been trying to break 7:00 for about two years. Because of Connors success my ten year old started CrossFit this summer. His soccer coach stopped in yesterday to ask me what I was doing with him because "He never seems to get tired". We started letting parents bring their kids to the CrossFit classes. The kids love it. They don't realize they are working out. There climbing, running, throwing fun stuff to them it's all play. If you keep it that way for the kids they succeed without really trying, and build good habits for the future.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:49 AM   #3
Beth Moscov

Profile:
HI,

My son is seven (will be 8 in early September). I haven't done anything formally with him. But he started doing the WOD with me on his own because he thinks it is cool. He never does everything - just what he wants to do. I figure not pushing him is the best way to make sure he loves it and also stays within his body's ability to handle it. He loves the rings and we can't keep him off them ever since getting them. He does all his pull ups on them (as do I) and has started trying other skills as well as creating his own. He thinks trying to learn one legged squats is a silly game and giggles and giggles. He loved the WOD the other day where he learned that he can do L-sits on the floor just fine. He then did them the rest of the day to practice. I think making it play is the real key. I am interested in hearing what others say especially in terms of the weight lifting as he has not started that yet but I would like to know about tips to keep him safe when he gets interested.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:26 AM   #4
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
Echoing Jeff's comments, we have trained a significant number of younger athletes. Everything from 12 year olds to college athletes. As long as you scale the load and volume they will realize tremendous benefits. Monitor their work. Make sure they aren't on EMPTY when they finish a workout.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:24 PM   #5
Rick Worthington

Profile:

As evidence - I've been training our high school wrestling team with Crossfit for the past year and we've had unbelievable results. Most of the kids can perform the WOD with minimal modification. We had only 1 major injury on our team last year out of 65 kids - most of them wrestling 30 or more matches throughout the season.