CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-30-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
George Grech

Profile:
Hi all.

I recently heard about crossfit from a friend in the Canadian Armed Forces, who suggested that I come here after he witnessed my newfound gusto for being active and eating well.

I'm a 27 year old who spent a long time in university, and spent far too many hours eating greasy takeout and sitting at his computer for hours and hours every day, never being active, and letting his body turn to flab.

I'm 184cm, 170lbs~. Basically, a 'thin' 'flabby' guy. I'm not sure if terms like "flabby" are allowed here, but I want to be honest about how I perceive myself.

I came here, and am trying to find a way to melt my flabby pectorals and belly away, whilst strengthening my mind and body in terms of the criteria mentioned (flexibility being one of the biggest priorities for me).

I've started to play squash, and my body is slowly getting used to being active again - I just wanted to say thanks in advance, I'll probably be posting quite a few threads to try and set myself up for a realistic, healthy life.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Good to have you. Just FYI, don't fall into the common thinking about "spot reduction" of fat. Trust me, all these "ab-maximizer" and "ab-blaster" and "ab-abber" and all that other junk out there is junk. If you want to burn fat, it'll come off every part of your body pretty much equally.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:19 AM   #3
George Grech

Profile:
Yeah I probably came off wrong - I know spot fat loss is a myth. I was just trying to illustrate my motivation from both vain and practical perspectives.

I can't even do 1 pullup, so I have a long way to go before I master the WODs. I look forward to the challenge, though.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
Darren Zega

Profile:  
George,

Don't worry about your starting point. I picked up Crossfit a little before a knee injury. After a month of limping, using just Crossfit as my training method with little bits of physical therapy on the sides I've gone from not even being able to do one air squat (unweighted) to a 1.5 x bodyweight back squat.

Don't worry about what you can't do, just focus on what you can. If all you can do is a 50lb pull down, whatever! Just do tons of them and way sooner than you think you'll have your first pull-up.

You've probably heard it all if you've been lurking in the forums for a while (like most of us do), but these two link are both great resources for beginners (WFS)

www.simplefit.org
http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16

Both are links to sites that have WODs with multiple scaled levels so you can find something you can master before stepping up to the next level. Trust me, It comes faster than you think.

(Message edited by davion13 on July 31, 2007)
Old 07-31-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Milton Grasle

Profile:
Welcome George. I'm also relatively new to crossfit. For years I have tried to accomplish a work out schedule that hit all the areas of fitness that crossfit does. I was unsucessful, until I stumbled across crossfit. There was a few inches of fat around my stomach that I could never get rid of no matter what I tried. I finally gave up. I began crossfit and didn't pay too much attention until one day, I slipped into my fat jeans. As usual, they hung a little loose. Then I slipped my keys into the front pocket and realized the pocket had a hole in it. The jeans I had on weren't my fat jeans, they were my small jeans. I measure my waist immedaitely and found i had lost a full inch in my waist. I haven't been around crossfit long enough to tell you how or why it works but it does. Good luck and hang on, you're in for a real experience.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
I'd recommend other methods of assisting pull-ups rather than lat-pull downs. In some general order of effectiveness:

- rubber band assists
- jumping pull-ups
- Gravitron (assistance machine; rare to see one)
- negatives (don't do too many of these)
- ring rows
- legs on ground, providing minimal assist (you can use a bathroom scale to see how much)
Old 08-01-2007, 07:15 AM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
George: sounds good, I understand what you meant now, I was just confused (which happens often)
Old 08-02-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
Lisa Quinn

Profile:
Welcome George~