CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:36 AM   #1
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
What follows is my run-away thought train, in full detail:

My cat was just diagnosed with liver cancer, and I was remembering how she used to play when she was a kitten. Then I thought about how you might keep a cat in good shape through exercise/playing. Most cats play until they get tired, and it's tough to get a cat to exercise past that point. Then I thought about wild cats, and how they have to exercise by hunting their food.

I recall that wild cats hunt every other day or more, from barn cats who might eat a bird or mouse, to bigger cats like lions that hunt once a week or so.

Most cats laze around when they are not hunting, conserving their energy for the hunt. Then I wondered if cats get DOMS from hunting.

I figured that if any cat did, it would be the cheetah, because of how fast cheetahs move. They run 65 MPH for 10 seconds or so, and the reason they can't go longer is because they would overheat their bodies and die from the exertion.

So, that is how I arrived at the question: Do you think cheetahs get DOMS? Why or why not?
Old 01-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I am in the process of 'training' my kitten right now.

I try and make him sprint and jump as much as possible. I love to work him out until he is panting. I also make sure he is in the zone (Innova EVO cat food).

I want my cat to be able to eat other cats and small dogs if he wants.

Back on topic. . .

I would think that all mammals get DOMS. I mean, their muscle cell structure, and energy systems are all pretty much the same right?

(Message edited by jjones on January 05, 2007)
Old 01-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
My buddy said his dog moved with him from Pennsylvania (where he got tons of exercise) to a house in Tempe (where the dog got an all-rock backyard and was mainly shut-in the house, so not much exercise to speak of at all).

During a summer, the dog "escaped" out the front and ran two laps around the block at full speed (which was totally normal when they first moved there, this event was two years later). He said that not only did the dog get bloody paws (heat and friction without acclimation), he said the dog apparently suffered from DOMS for several days.

Domestication does the same thing to animals that it does to people.

Just like feeding domesticated animals the same foods as humans (grains) while reducing their activity gives them the same diseases as humans (diabetes). It's even more sad in how obvious the connection should be to people and they refuse to see it.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
Andrew James

Profile:
Not sure about cats, but dogs get DOMS without a doubt. I took my dog (German Shepard) to a soccer field. I stood at one end, had a friend stand at the other end, and we would take turns calling the dog. She would sprint the entire length of the field. She probably did 10-12 lengths.

She was obviously sore for the next 4 days. She groaned a lot, it obviosuly hurt to lie down or stand up, etc.