CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Brief background on me- teenager, lifting weights consistently for 2-3 years. Started crossfit ~ month ago (though been sick for 2 weeks = low intensity every other day).

My question being- is it normal for your first workouts to lack intensity while you build the functional strength necessary for a faster workout?

I notice the comments about "sweat angels" and such, but feel when I'm working out as if I'm severely limited in my speed/intensity by my relative lack of strength (hope that's clear as mud...). I feel after a workout as if I've done more strength training than cardio. Is this normal for those new to CF or is it me not pushing myself hard enough (should I break into shorter sets with shorter rests on stuff like the filthy 50's)?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Skylar:

Good questions and a good thought process. Coach and Coach Rip have recently opined that stronger athletes jump in faster and perform better than less strong or classic endurance athletes. That said, before you got sick were you completing the WOD's with as Rx'd weights? For instance, "Linda" came up recently. Did you do all three exercises with the requested bodyweight %'s?

If so you have a choice, one that I don't yet have even after 14 months of CF. If you want a strength work-out do it as rx'd and get the benefit of the higher weights. Want the met-con benefit? Either scale the weight or the reps so that you don't break sets up as much. Read the "Getting started" section on the main page, look up scaling the WOD in the FAQ, and if you want some more specific ideas there is a nice thread that's still open in "Fitness" with three good methods for scaling the strength-based WOD's.

Lastly, be patient! You're supposed to hurt after a WOD, not GET hurt. This is powerful stuff. I wish I had access to this type of program when I was your age!

Welcome aboard. Fasten your seatbelt...

Old 02-25-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Oops...I think that thread is in WOD...
Old 02-25-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Sklar,
You sound like you are going about this correctly. The last thing anyone should do is dial up the intensity before they are ready for it. Learn the movements correctly, do the workouts, the intensity will come.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:12 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Skylar all depends on your goals. If you are lacking strength...then you might want to spend some considerable time on that. Alot of the WODs may involve weights that are not realistic for you, so scale it down. Aim for a workout to be done in like 20min....not 50....for example...that would show a lack of metabolic workout and more into strength. Everything can be modified...but if strength is lacking, I would certainly focus on that more.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:19 PM   #6
David Aguasca

Profile:
skylar, i have to agree with mike on this (i usually do, lol) it's all about what you want out of it.

i know that absolute strength work is more important to me right now. my back squat and deadlift numbers are pretty lame for a guy my weight and age (BS 165, DL was 210 2 months ago), so i'm working on those. i might never be able to do the 225lb deadlifts in Diane as Rxed, but i'd like to get close, and getting stronger will help me get there.

Strength before strength endurance.

and learning to scale is important, it's easy to injure yourself if you don't listen to your body. i almost killed myself one day trying to do Helen with 55lb DB swings. my back was not very happy after that.

good luck with your workouts!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
Skylar Cook

Profile:
I meant to talk about body weight exercises in my original post. Sorry. Thanks for the scaling info, but I meant to specify about WOD's like Babs/Filthy 50's. On these, which are mostly body weight workouts, I feel like I am doing more strength training than cardio (e.g., I can't do enough continouous reps fast enough to tax my aerobic conditioning). I'm just worried that I'm not pushing myself hard enough since I'm not collapsed gasping on the floor after some workouts :wink:
Old 02-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #8
Kevin McKay

Profile:
as you develop more strength and muscle mass you will consume way more oxygen. Don't worry, you will be puking in no time.

"Strength before strength endurance."