CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
Ben Bundy

Profile:
I have a friend who can only commit twice to three times a week for workouts. Do you think it would be better for them to do a full body routine on those days or do crossfit? If they only worked out twice a week, they would not even complete a full cycle of crossfit. I am going to help train them and want them to get the best benefits considering their time.
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks for the help,
Ben
Old 11-03-2006, 06:29 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Depends on their goals.

If they want to initially gain mass and strength, it would probably be better to go with weights at first on a program like Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength. If, however, they just want to get in shape and more fit, go with CrossFit. Obviously, there's other stuff in between that, but you have to be more specific.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Like Steven said...it all depends on goals...if it's to lose fat, then metabolic workouts are what you want. If it's to get strength, then hit the big 3 lifts (Bench, DL, Squat). Lots of variables on sets and reps can be used.

If you can only commit to 2x a week, while something is better than nothing....show him that it only takes about 20min a day...and I dont care what people's lifestyle are in typical society, they have plenty of time. If fat loss is the goal...he'll need more than just 2x a week....and oh yeah, diet is 85% of the equation.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
Ben Bundy

Profile:
Thanks...this person definitely needs to lose about thirty pounds, but I would like them to be able to gain some lean muscle mass in the process. Do you still think CF is the best for this, considering they are looking to get in shape?
Old 11-03-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
Brad Davis

Profile:
Maybe you should pry a little (assuming that he asked you for help, giving you a slight license to do so) about why he can only dedicate so few days.

CF workouts take so little time that it's hard to see how anybody couldn't work them into the schedule. I think that's one of the coolest things about the program.

For example, one day a while back, I literally had no time from first thing in the morning until about 30 minutes before bedtime, so I couldn't get to the gym for the WoD. I did tabata squats instead. Counting warmup, the grand total was less than 15 minutes. Huffed and puffed while brushing my teeth and went to bed.

Anyway--just an idea, and argument for CF.
DBD
Old 11-03-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
He can scale down the workouts to meet his fitness level and time commitment...if he has 20min, then he does a lighter weight and goes for 20min....Metcon style workouts are ideal for someone trying to lose weight...and he will build some muscle in the process as well.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:35 PM   #7
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
I agree with Brad. Even if he only has two or three days to train, make him tabata something different each day. Better than nothing.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:38 AM   #8
George Brothers

Profile:
ben
many of the wods are full body workouts especially the girls.
you may also want to take a look at the fitness conduit at http://coachrut.blogspot.com/. this is a mwf blog for workouts. may be appropriate for someone that wants to do 3 days a week.

<rant>

i am always surprised by people that say they only have a small amt of time to exercise. unless they are working 16+ hours a day everyday or have some responsibility that precludes them from freeing up a half hour per day i just dont buy it. if this is just what they want to make available then i guess you have to work with what you got. but my big thing is tv. if you are watching tv on a daily basis then you have plenty of time for exercise. and as has been pointed out, diet is just as important as the exercise.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #9
Mikki Lee Martin

Profile:
Perhaps I do not understand the question....
When is CrossFit not a full body routine ?
( I must be doing it wrong! My whole body hurts !)
We have had many deconditioned people , many over 40 who have lost weight, gained lean muscle mass and "only" done CrossFit 2-3 times per week. ( Most became Zoners too) In fact at least three of them went on to become trainers...
It Definately can be done...
Old 11-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #10
Jim Glover

Profile:
I like to make up my own EDT type workouts.

My favorite upper body workout is alternating floor presses and renegade rows. I take my 10 rep max with the db's, set the time to 15 minutes and do 5 floor presses each arm flip over and and do 5 renegade rows each arm and I just keep up that cycle until the time runs out. Then I finish up with some kind of core work, whether it's turkish get ups, windmills, or gluteham bench situps and back extensions.

My favorite EDT lower body workout is deadlifts and box jumps for 15 minutes. I load the bar to 315 do 5 deadlifts and then box jumps on about a 18 or 20 inch high seat on a machine at the gym.

If you are going to help your friend these type of set time exercises are ideal but make sure you are making them work everything and don't let them focus on their strengths.

I've also recommended EDT type of training with complex lifts for deconditioned people looking to get into a Crossfit type of training.

Keep track of the number of reps of each exercise they do for the alloted time and they need to try and beat it each time they do that workout.

It's not as random as the WOD but it's better than nothing and I believe it will help people adjust to the shock that Crossfit is to a body.

I know my first Crossfit workout was 150 wallball shots for time and it took me 12 minutes and I about died.