CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-24-2004, 08:03 PM   #1
Jay Swan

Profile:
For the last 5-6 years, a weighted deep squat motion often results in a delayed, very painful soreness in my right outer hamstring, about halfway down the leg. The pain is distinct from delayed onset muscle soreness, in that it's sharper and longer lasting.

Air squats and front squats do not seem to cause it. Back squats are the most frequent culprit. It is also definitely related to depth. Deadlifts do not cause it.

Any ideas as to possible cures?
Old 10-25-2004, 04:54 AM   #2
Brian Hand

Profile:

Jay, weighted back squats stretch the hamstring a little more than air squats or front squats at the bottom, because you have to arch your back and lean forward. Maybe it could be a soft tissue problem, triggerpoints, adhesions, etc. Are you tight in that area? I'm curious if stretching with your toes pointed in vs toes pointed out might hit the spot. You could go to a massage therapist that does myofascial release, or if there's anyone near you, ART (active release therapy).
Old 10-25-2004, 06:24 AM   #3
Jay Swan

Profile:
I'm pretty flexible in the hamstrings, but my low back and hip flexors are extremely tight. I don't notice much difference with toe-in/toe-out stretches, but I have noticed that a powerlifting-style back squat (toes slightly out, legs wide) results in less pain.

Thrusters also cause the pain, even though they're not done from a back squat position.