CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-15-2004, 06:04 AM   #1
Kevin Anderson

Profile:
I had a pretty bad sports injury several years ago where I broke by fibula and seperated several ligaments in my ankle. I ended up with a screw in my ankle to keep the fibula in place and my surgeon said that it was like sewing mop ends together, referring to the ligaments. Anyway, I'm not complaining because I can still play all my sports but I have a limited range of motion in my left ankle due to the shortening of the ligaments from repair. Is it possible or too dangerous to try and stretch them out using ballistic stretches or something of that sort or is it a lost cause. When I try and stretch it out it is like pushing against a brick wall, no give at all. I would really like to get rid of this pegleg feeling that I sometimes get. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:05 AM   #2
Brian Hand

Profile:

Kevin, that sounds too risky to me. Ballistic movements can strengthen connective tissue, and their attachment to the bone, but I doubt this is the case with surgically reattached ligaments. I'd be really surprised if it had been studied. Anyway, to improve range of motion I'd focus on the muscle. Maybe this is another place some soft tissue work would help.