CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-01-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
Ben Nance

Profile:
Quick question: is there a standard for the maximum amount of weight an olympic bar can safely hold? are certain ones rated differently? how do I tell the quality of a bar?

I added another bar to my set(used) and I don't know it's brand or history(ok it's history is that it sat around unused for 5 years). Just wanted to be sure before I'm squatting 300+ lbs under it...
Old 10-01-2006, 10:36 PM   #2
Travis Loest

Profile:
Ben,
From what I understand even a crappy bar should be able to deal with 300# on a squat. That being said, they may not survive being dropped with 300#. Certain bars are rated differently, their quality is generally based off of who makes them. Search for Olympic Bars and you will get a huge amount of information. I've spent the last 4 months reading absolutly every post in the equipment section so I can outfit my own garage with quality products that will last and that will hopefully not break the bank. From what I've learned some people will have a "nice" bar for the olympic lifts and a "generic/crap" bar for squats and deadlifts. Hopefully someone with user experience will chime in here as I am limited to what they have in military gyms. usually powerlifting bars.