CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-12-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
Aaron Arthur Jones

Profile:
Noobie needing advice

Hello my name is Aaron Jones, originally from Missouri but stationed at Dyess AFB, TX(active duty), im 20 yrs old, and i am currently a security force member in the United States Air Force. I am currently deployed right now but will be home in a month(cant give out the details). I first heard about this site when i was training for pararescue before i joined. I joined the AF about a year ago. I ended up going into security forces just to get my feet wet in the military. Not a day goes by where i donít think about it and my goal is to cross-train to pararescue and make it! and i was told that cross-fit will definitely help me get into the fitness level i need to make it!

I would like to be proficient at swimming,running, and at calisthenics. I dont care much about being able to bench 400lbs, i just wanna be able to do these things all day(not literally lol). I am guessing the wod is what i would go after. I also am probaly going to look into the affiliate in the city i live.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Noobie needing advice

Glad your coming home.

I think CF will be a good fit for your goals. If you really want to be great at the endurance stuff you might want to check out CF endurance.

Also, working at a box would be a great way to get all the basics for the long run.

Let us know how it goes and what you wind up doing.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Come home join a box, military affiliate or a group of guys from the Air Force that know what they are doing and build a base just doing 3 on 1 off daily W.O.D.s. After 3 to 6 months you can start to think about training for your specific requirements for para-rescue.

If swimming is part of it you will need to train this separately. If you have never had good stroke training look for a Masters swim program you can join. Master swim programs is where swimmers go if they can no longer compete at the college or national level. There will be older folks but there will also be younger folks. What is most important is there will be a coach, organized work outs and someone to help you with your technique.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

the WOD's would be a good place to start. don't neglect the strength work, a good strength base will make everything easier, especially when carrying a para, ruck, or fellow airmen is concerned.

also, probably wise to contact the operating unit you wish to be involved with and find out their recommendations.

you may also want to check out:

www.militaryathlete.com

www.sealfit.com

both links WFS