CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
Jeff Evans

Profile:
Re: The Debate On Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Suggestion: Rather than rehash the coffee debate, do an Advanced Search for 'coffee', but change the search option to search titles only.
Or click here (w/fs)
Old 01-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
John Rosevear

Profile:

If you're weaning yourself off of cream and sugar, here's a trick to ease the transition: Try your black coffee with some plain ground cinnamon (NOT cinnamon sugar) sprinkled on top. I don't know why, but it seems to make the switch easier for some folks.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Why don't you stop drinking it and see what happens?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #14
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall Somerville View Post
I don't think the question should be "is coffee bad etc" but why you think you need to drink huge amounts of coffee per day. If you can't function without 6 cups of coffee per day then you may need to look at your lifestyle or diet and make some serious changes. If you drink it purely for taste then why not switch to decaf. If your energy is so bad that you need a stimulant every 1-2 hours then something is very wrong and you need to find out what that is.
A lot of heavy coffee drinkers turn out to have undiagnosed Adult ADD. They crave stimulants in order to focus and become mildly addicted (psychologically and/or physically) to the caffeine.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #15
Kevin Burns

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rosevear View Post
If you're weaning yourself off of cream and sugar, here's a trick to ease the transition: Try your black coffee with some plain ground cinnamon (NOT cinnamon sugar) sprinkled on top. I don't know why, but it seems to make the switch easier for some folks.
I've been doing this. It helps but there is still nothing like coffee with cream and a sweetener.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #16
John Rosevear

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
A lot of heavy coffee drinkers turn out to have undiagnosed Adult ADD. They crave stimulants in order to focus and become mildly addicted (psychologically and/or physically) to the caffeine.
This is correct. (And a lot of those people turn out, in turn, to have an undiagnosed food sensitivity like celiac, in which exposure to the problem food causes a "brain fog" that is very often misdiagnosed as "inattentive Adult ADD". Put these folks on paleo or another real food diet and their lives completely change in 3 or 4 days... but I digress.)
Old 01-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #17
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

I eat Paleo/Zone 2x fat and my coffee consumption is very simple: One 8oz cup of BLACK coffee and thats it. Some days I dont even drink it but I definitely do not drink more than one cup.

I grind my own and use a coffee press. Best way to drink coffee IMHO and I will not give it up nor do I feel I have to. In moderation its very good for a lot of things and I dont think you should worry about it buddy. Just keep any **** out of it and you should be good. I do think anything more than 3 cups is pushing it for anyone though...once again thats MO.

Nick B.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #18
Tom Jones Jr

Profile:

What is this fabled cup though? How big?

Anyway, coffee is good, drink it if you want, but as already said, if your drinking more than 3 cups, or you have a raging need for it, sort it out.

If anyones in london go to monmouth coffee in cov garden. The best.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #19
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas D Barbosa View Post
I grind my own and use a coffee press. Best way to drink coffee IMHO and I will not give it up nor do I feel I have to.
If you ever feel like toying with something new, get a Clever Coffee Dripper. I bought mine from Sweet Maria's, here (wfs).

I've had mine for a little over a week and love it so far. It produces very flavorful coffee, is clean, and very easy to use. I have bunches of coffee brewing devices, and I'd say that this one is now probably my second favorite in terms of repeatable coffee quality; second only to my Cona vacuum brewer. The Clever Coffee Dripper is easily first on the list in terms of combined ease of use and quality end-product.

- Mark