CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Nicholas Dixon

Profile:
Question about push-ups

I haven't been able to do a push-up in the "traditional" method (i.e., palms on the floor) since I broke my wrist. I now do push-ups on parallettes or, when at home, on a chin-up bar set to the ground. The end result is that I now go really deep on push-ups since I can pretty much touch my chest to the bar (or even go deeper when on parallettes). Ever since the switch though, my triceps are totally done when I'm finished.

This never happened before when doing push-ups on my palms or my knuckles (which I can't do anymore either, thanks to a disappeared knuckle), and I'm not sure if it's a form issue or what. I can still tell that my chest and abs are getting a nice workout, but I'm baffled as to why my triceps would suddenly be feeling the burn?

Is this just something I never noticed before because I wasn't getting the same ROM or am I somehow doing push-ups wrong all the sudden (or maybe right)?

[Edit: On a side note, can anyone recommend a decent chin-up bar? I have a GoFit.net (or something similar to that) chin-up bar that I bought because it was cheap, and it's a total piece of junk.]
Old 07-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Question about push-ups

The deeper you go, the tougher it is on all of the muscles. Your triceps aren't used to the ROM and hence fatigue quickly.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
Nicholas Dixon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
The deeper you go, the tougher it is on all of the muscles. Your triceps aren't used to the ROM and hence fatigue quickly.
Thanks Steven. That's kind of what I figured, but I wasn't 100% sure. Normally it's the dips that get my triceps, never experienced the fatigue on a push-up.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

If you were to try harder version of pushups, you might find a similar reaction like psuedo-planche pushups or tuck planche pushups or deep ring pushups, etc.

No hate here, just some conjecture. I can't stand doing pushups. Boring.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:13 AM   #5
Nicholas Dixon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
If you were to try harder version of pushups, you might find a similar reaction like psuedo-planche pushups or tuck planche pushups or deep ring pushups, etc.

No hate here, just some conjecture. I can't stand doing pushups. Boring.
Blair, if I could get anything resembling a planche push-up, I wouldn't need to be worrying about regular push-ups! Haha!

But yeah, push-ups are kind of boring, but they get the job done, plus if they're Rx'd, gotta do 'em! I will say that doing them on parallettes or a chin-up bar is a lot more interesting and challenging than the garden variety though.

Last edited by Nicholas Dixon : 07-16-2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Speeling