CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
Colin Francis

Profile:
Re: Deadlift: Mixed Grip

I'm only surprised that the trainer advocated deadlifts in the first place. I would think that liability for back injury would worry them more than elbow problems. funny, funny, funny
Old 06-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Ruiz View Post
...What is the benifit, if any, of the hook grip? .... it doesn't look very comfortable. ...
You are correct on this.
But it does work.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

It's only uncomfortable for the first few times.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:04 AM   #14
Matt Farnsworth

Profile:

Consistently using a mixed grip the same way can lead to imbalances which could potentially leave you open to injury.

Either follow the suggestions above, or if you feel you have to use a mixed grip make sure you alternate hands so you do equal volume each way (although I think this would be hard with some WOD's because we're not working in straight sets).
Old 06-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #15
Zach Gates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Farnsworth View Post
Consistently using a mixed grip the same way can lead to imbalances which could potentially leave you open to injury.

Either follow the suggestions above, or if you feel you have to use a mixed grip make sure you alternate hands so you do equal volume each way (although I think this would be hard with some WOD's because we're not working in straight sets).
I'll be sure to pass this along to Konsti. He'll probably want to know that before he hurts himself trying to deadlift over 1000 pounds.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #16
Adam Auerbach

Profile:

I really don't see where an over/under grip would necessarily increase the chance of a torn bicep unless your arms are bent when pulling and you yank the bar off the floor. I've officially deadlifted 600 lbs with an over/under grip and have used this grip style for years and have never had any issues with biceps pulls.

That being said, I haven't used an over/under grip since my powerlifting days and it doesn't do much to aid in achieving a balanced grip. I would work on grip strength exercises that improve your grasping power. Just for fun you could have your hand strength verified with a Hand Dynamometer to compare which hand is the weaker of the two.

As mentioned earlier a weightlifting hook grip will help as well as chalking your hands up with a quality gym chalk. Lifting on a bar with proper knurling will also aid in securing a good grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Durham View Post
Yesterday I was at the local gym doing my OHS with my usual crew. Next to the squat rack is a platform. One of the trainers had his client doing deadlifts. She was dropping the weight, saying that she is unable to hold on without it slipping. My friend suggested that she do mix grip. He, the trainer, said that he doesn't allow his clients to do mixed grip deadlifts. He said that over time it will cause elbow problem. Has anyone else heard this? Googled it and didn't see anything of the sort.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
Richard West

Profile:

Mixed grip deadlifts are fine, but mixed grip cleans are terrible. I learned that the hard way.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #18
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard West View Post
Mixed grip deadlifts are fine, but mixed grip cleans are terrible. I learned that the hard way.
...why would you...i don't....

so confused...

Last edited by Renee Lee : 06-05-2009 at 10:28 AM. Reason: mixed grip snatches for slosh pipes, however ARE a good idea
Old 06-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #19
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

According to Jlascek over on Strength Mill (WFS)

Quote:
I don't know if this is relevant, but one of my CrossFitters has chronically deadlifted heavy with a double overhand hook grip, and the lack of grip strength severely hampers him on pull-ups, kettlebells, etc. We have since made the change to deadlifting with an alternated grip to improve the grip strength.
food for thought

Last edited by Ben Moskowitz : 06-05-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: getting names right
Old 06-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #20
Adam Auerbach

Profile:

I can see how alternating the over/under grip would help maintaining symmetrical grip strength, but not sure how much crossover there will be to other exercises that require a high degree of grip strength.

Essentially all an over/under grip style does for the lifter is increase grip leverage, but is not as effective as increasing grip strength via pulling on a barbell with an overhand grip sans the hook grip.

The over/under grip style(powerlifting grip) is a cheat grip. It helps keep the bar from slipping out of the lifters hands, but the strength crossover to other grip related exercises won't be as effective as an overhand grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
According to Jlascek over on Strength Mill (WFS)

food for thought

Last edited by Adam Auerbach : 06-05-2009 at 12:08 PM.